Looking for a grid-based RPG

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Moocow, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    I'm looking for grid-based RPGs (for iOS), preferably turn-based, similar to the classic Doom RPG and Wolfenstein RPG. Already tried Legend of Grimrock. Great game, but since the setting never changes (pretty much 1 environment and literally 1 wall texture through entire game) it got a little boring.

Not really looking for top-down view ones, or mandatory perma-death. It can have perma-death I suppose but I'm gonna turn that option off for sure. I prefer first-person view. Also as mentioned before, preferably it has some change of scenery once in a while, and of course needs wearable loot and some kind of leveling/skill system. Wolfenstein RPG did this very nice because not only did it have dungeon crawler-like levels, it also had exterior levels, castle levels, etc.

Currently waiting for "Dungeon Kingdom" to be released.

2. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I'd say Foursaken's Phantom Rift hits most of those marks. It seems to be one of their least appreciated games, despite being one of my favourites. I actually think it may be an example of IOS's slightly flawed release pattern: a game comes out with one or two flaws that could have easily been nixed in the design stage (in this it was some pretty lumbering character movement). The sites which review it don't give it the time to fall in love with it because of these easily rectified flaws, and it becomes permanently lumbered with milquetoast reviews, in the app-store and without. Early momentum is everything in IOS, but devs so often wait until it's already too late before they nail the game. By the time Foursaken sped everything up, it had already started being forgotten.

3. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    I tried that game a long time ago and didn't really like it at all. Feels almost like a board game with the tiles and movement mechanics. Also it's not first-person view, not really into the top-down or 3rd person view grid-based RPGs.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #4 Nullzone, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Just remembered that undeadcow has lists for about everything ;) here you go:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2093137&postcount=8

And here's his overall list, browse away: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=119740

With first person view as criteria, I immediately remember the Quest series by Redshift / Zarista Games.
    Huge series (10+ games by now I think); overall very good gameplay, but suffers from balance issues on high character levels. Of those I played, I really liked the stories and world, they did a great job there. Biggest downside for me is that the graphics feel really outdated: more Might & Magic Clouds of Xeen (1992) than 200x .

Then you have Ravensword 1 & 2, I liked both a lot, good games; first-person, but realtime.

There were also some more recent releases, in the vein of Might&Magic/Wizardy/Dungeon Master, but I didn't play those. E.g. Coldfire Keep , Descend.

And there was Undercroft a long time ago: it's still on the Appstore, but not updated since 2011, and iPhone only (so no idea how it scales up) . But it's free, and was a great game.

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sorry to post here but any idea if he has a list there for time management games? Only just got back into the genre and I know TA doesn't really track many games like that.

6. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Tried Undercroft, and it's pretty impressive. I don't mind terrible graphics, that's what you're supposed to have for grid-based RPGs anyways. Quest is a bit complex, almost like reading a textbook sometimes.