★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Feedback on my game icon

09-01-2015, 05:51 AM
Feedback on my game icon

Hello toucharcade community :-)

I'm an amateur in game developing market. Actually I'm trying to make an icon for my top-view submarine game. This is what I have, I would really like to get feedback from experienced mobile game fans and developers :-)

09-01-2015, 07:49 AM
I think it's nicely detailed and shaded, but it doesn't quite 'pop' enough. Possibly needs more contrast, it might be that the background detail is a little muddy and gets lost. A couple of other things of note, it might just be me but I have no idea what the object is. When I think submarines, I think views from a periscope, torpedos and sonar. I would also work on the border bevel, making those curves around the inner corners cleaner.

Hope that helps, I don't mean to be too critical!

Tom Bowen, Thinkerton Games
www.thinkertongames.com
Games:
Cubix Challenge

09-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your advices It's a top view similar to flight control models I'll try to change the contrast.
09-01-2015, 01:07 PM
it doesn't tell me what your game is about ....the target obscures the submarine to the point you don't know its a submarine !

Follow me on Twitter
Games/Ports I have on Appstore
GeoTris $0.99, iPlutoid Free, Neverputt ME $0.99, Noiz2sa Free Free, Neverputt HD $0.99
Coming this year MiZoo 2, 2 untitled games in work
09-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks lazr, I'll try to change the icon and then post it here :-)
09-05-2015, 02:01 PM
I agree about the not being able to tell it is a submarine, the hatch pops out well but doesn't say a whole lot of the game and the submarine just disappears into the water.
09-06-2015, 03:24 PM
I'd definitely say make the submarine more visible and perhaps more contrast in the border, at a glance it's really hard to tell what the game is about. the blue is beautiful however!
09-06-2015, 06:57 PM
While your game is top down, I think you should still consider a more classic image. Google image search "submarine periscope view". Could look really nice on an icon and as a paradigm doesn't seem to have been used much on the App Store.
10-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Bad

Bad. First view: Looks like a button on a hippie batic shirt. When I see this, I am not interested to look further. You need a submarine, even when your game has topview.

It's the same thing with cd album covers: 70% of the buyers decide to have a closer look depending from the cover. You need a better picture. Forget about the hard work. Throw this one away and start new. First with a visible submarine. Search for the 3 best selling submarine apps and took the best out of it. copy the best and build your one.

Last edited by Tobi (AppGemeinde); 10-05-2015 at 04:20 PM.
10-05-2015, 05:08 PM
On the other hand, while I have no idea what the app is based on the image, I actually think it looks really cool. The longer I stared at it, the more it looks like the submarine is coming out of the app. I think the 3D is pretty solid for just using shading and perspective. Kudos for that. I would love to see that 3D incorporated into a version that is a little more descriptive of the game itself (i.e. a submarine).

GC & Google Play: Jerutix -- Grace and Peace