What do you think about my game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by M.O., Sep 3, 2015.

1. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Hey all, I have been working on Rift Commando for a few years. I finally finished it up and now its on the app store. I was wondering what some developers thought about it? BTW I'm not expecting it to make much money, I just wanted to make a game that I thought would be fun. You can find it here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=270085 Thanks for the feedback

2. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The graphics are a bit rough but the gameplay is solid and I had a lot of fun playing the first 3 levels.

Pros:
    + Fun Gameplay

Cons:
    + Rough Graphics
    + Poor performance on my iPad 2 (framerate issues and long load times)

Overall, I really did enjoy it though. Reminded me a lot of Contra. How long did it take you to make? Was it just you working on it? How did you make it? What engine (if any) did you use? Will it be coming to Android?

3. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    #3 M.O., Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Thanks @Rogue, I'm glad you liked it. It made it over three years, super part time though. It was just me. I had an art pack for the platforms and backgrounds, I did the controls and icons and then I hired an artist to do the main character and the enemies. He is a good artist, I asked him to try and make them match the art pack that I had, which was a mistake, but hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.
    I used Unity3d, which I found to be a mixed bag. In the future I will use Cocos2dx.
    It will be coming to Android, I just want to test it on an actual device first. With life being busy^2 it might take a little while, but hopefully in a month or so.
    It runs smooth on my iphone5, so I didn't really do any performance optimization. But performance is something that I will look at increasing in the future.