best browser for IOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Sep 4, 2015.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Safari has been awful recently, slow, crashing. So I've started looking at the alternatives: Opera, google chrome,Dolphin and some others.
    From people's experience, which is the best internet browser for iPhone/Ipad?

2. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Oh just realised its general 'game' discussion, not general discussion. Can this be moved to right forum please.

3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Puffin, but yeah wrong forum.

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    ICab mobile is a phenomenal browser with tons of customization, ability to download, a number of browser emulations - too many features to mention. Might not be the fastest, but likely is the most powerful or functionality. Extremely well supported as well.

5. Anonomation

Looks good, but I like puffin for its little tiny features and the flash access.

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    MY favorite is Mercury, chock full of additional features that make browsing far more convenient.

7. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    They're all basically reskinned versions of Safari.

http://www.howtogeek.com/184283/why-third-party-browsers-will-always-be-inferior-to-safari-on-iphone-and-ipad/

Maybe your device needs to be reset.

8. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
  9. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I wil check it out. Thanks for the advice. My favorite thing about iCab is that you can open things within the browser, mp4s, pdfs, doc files, etc.. You can also download a lot of things which I don't find many browsers can do, and use the iPhone as storage, even if it can't make use of the file.

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    That's not entirely true, in order to compete with and provide a good alternative to Safari third party browser devs have been adding. More and more interesting features to their apps. The reskinning is the least interesting part of using a third party browser. Mercury features wonderful gesture controls, a great customizable quick dial page, great search engine customizations among many other additions over Safari.

11. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    You make good points. Plus I believe Apple opened up its API to allow third party apps to use Nitro. However I still think Safari is the best option in iOS. iOS is very locked down and you're just not going to find the same integration and performance with third party browers.

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Looked at Puffin - has some nice features such as being secure, but i use a VPN so i dont know that adds anything. They really sell the adobe flash aspects, which i rarely use. At $3.99 its worth keeping in mind. Mercury is $24 so i didnt even look. Maybe not fair, but i havent spent that kind of money on a browser for many years. I like purchasing browsers as i use them so much i just dont like the ads.

We used to gave a member - Meinesys or something like that who did exhaustive comparisons of browsers, file managers, etc. i wish he was still around. I would love his comparisons on the new browsers that are available. ICab has been around a long time and i have been using it fo 5 years or better, but there could be some new better ones. Interssting topic anyways.

13. Anonomation

Yah. Meh. I just use the free version as the ads aren't aggressive.

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Whoa, I had no idea this happened! A pretty shitty move on their part. It's still an awesome browser but there's no way I can recommend an app that charges $24 an year for adblock.

15. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I don't really get the whole ad blocking thing. These days ad's are usually off to the sides and rarely obtrusive.

16. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Depends on the site and the kind of ads it's serving. Most of the time I'm okay with ads, but some sites try to place ads specifically so they get tapped by accident when trying to tap a different button or URL. this is of course a bigger problem on mobile sites and mobile browsing in general. And then there are sites that serve just ridiculous ads.

17. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I guess I just avoid those websites.