★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Ethervision
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 15.7 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Put your word skills to the test in this fast paced and addictive word game. Featuring more than 150,000 words to find and nearly endless fun, Wordular is a must-have for word game fans. The only trouble you'll have will be putting it down!

Features:
- 150,000+ word database
- Fast-paced action
- Hidden words in every level
- Intuitive interface
- High score table
- Auto saving - drop in or out whenever you feel like it

Thanks!
09-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Promo codes agogo!

Hey guys,

We will be offering up promo codes for Wordular throughout the day over in the promo codes section:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...254#post523254

Stop by and keep an eye on things to nab a free promo code.. or, even better, jump ahead and buy the game - it's only 99c

Enjoy!
Jeff.

09-26-2009, 01:08 PM
This is a very nice word game. Works very well and easy to use. You can exit the game at any time and resume your last game. The goal is to create words out of the letters given before time is up. Each level has a goal number of words you have to create to level up. If you get stuck and can't think of any more words, you can hit the swap button to change out the letters. You only get 3 of these per game, so you have to be careful how you use them. Each level has a bonus word that if you guess is worth bonus points. I like how the letters sound like old type writer keys when you select them. The only thing I would recommend is adding global leaderboards instead of just local. Overall, nice game and fans of word games should be happy.
09-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Gave it a whirl

Rich_952000 was kind enough to pass his promo code along to me, so I thought I would get my impressions posted straightaway. Wordular will appeal mostly to fans of Word Warp and the like, as the goal is to spell as many 3+ letter words as possible, from a predetermined set of letters, before the timer expires.

The game rules are fairly self explanatory, but instructions are provided, just in case. When you start up the game, a set of letters is displayed, in a ring around the submit button, as well as a ticking clock. The background is a very nice, low-key, blue star-field, which adds much-needed movement, but is not distracting at all. Tap a sequence of letters to form a word below and then tap the Submit Button to register your word and corresponding score. The number of words found and the number of words needed to progress in shown in the bottom corner (6/9, for instance), which I like. If you dont meet the found word requirement, the game ends. To prevent this eventuality, after youve run out of words from the current set, you can use one of your limited number of Shuffle commands to provide a brand new set of letters to choose from, to complete the requisite number of words.

Finding the hidden word for a level will supply the player with more time, but this is not skill-based, as it is simply a pre-defined word, either chosen by the developer, or more likely, chosen randomly from the word list. Speaking of word lists, there is no display of the words youve found, so you may input a duplicate once in a while, but I can understand this choice on the part of the developers; they obviously wanted this game to be very simple to approach, based on the interface and ease of play, and I think they succeeded.

Suggestions:
  • The standard for these types of game is to use the SOWPODS or TWL word database, AFAIK, and although you are using a database of 150,000 words, it still choked on a couple of words that I looked up to make sure they were legal.
  • While the circular presentation is very attractive, my feeling is that it is harder to quickly search, find, and tap letter combinations, when not in a straight line. While I like the added ring motion, it may add to the confusion and I think it may also be why I felt like my taps were sometimes "eaten" or not registered. Another benefit of a straight line arrangement, is that you can let the player shuffle and sort the letters however they want, which helps to discover new words. This isn't really a suggested change; it's too drastic, but I think it is still worth noting.
  • If you want encourage replay (and who doesn't?), I would really suggest adding online leaderboards, if that is within your capacity.
  • On the topic of high scores, I think you should make it default to the previous entry, instead of a blank box.
  • Finding words is not exciting enough. I would add a more prominent graphical effect, at least when tapping the submit button. Obviously, it would need to be subtle enough or transparent enough to not interrupt gameplay, but I think the game is missing a bit of polish.
  • I would re-examine your algorithm for choosing letters, since it sometimes chooses combinations that are somewhat cumbersome, such as providing a Q, without a U. Here are some examples I ran across that, while I was able to find enough words to move on, they felt somewhat unfair: kahqcsya, syfaacyz, and soonnqw. I know the ability to shuffle button can serve to mitigate this issue, but those are only available in limited quantities and I word rather use those when I fail, not when the randomizer fails.
  • For me, the typeface looked pretty kewl, but I felt like some letters (N, for instance) were hard to identify immediately. Probably something I'll get used, but I thought I would mention it.
  • I couldnt figure out how to pause the game, other than shut off my iPhone.

Thanks to rich and to Ethervision for the code!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
09-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Bought this last night and I basically agree with most everything djflippy says. Fun game but the randomizer is sometimes pretty unfair, I got chummhc and was supposed to come up with 12 words. I like the cicucular motif, to me it makes it always visually mixed up so I don't care about the need to scramble the letters. But hitting submit is sometimes subtle. Overall a nice twist on these word scrambled games. I think with some improvements it could be outstnding.

One other suggestion would be to have an untimed mode. Just continue to increase the requirements for numbers of words. No score associated because it opens up possibility forv"cheating" by looking up words (actually the main game one can just pause, look up the letter anagrams, unpause, and get treat scores) but that would be great for just fun, as well as practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Rich_952000 was kind enough to pass his promo code along to me, so I thought I would get my impressions posted straightaway. Wordular will appeal mostly to fans of Word Warp and the like, as the goal is to spell as many 3+ letter words as possible, from a predetermined set of letters, before the timer expires.

The game rules are fairly self explanatory, but instructions are provided, just in case. When you start up the game, a set of letters is displayed, in a ring around the submit button, as well as a ticking clock. The background is a very nice, low-key, blue star-field, which adds much-needed movement, but is not distracting at all. Tap a sequence of letters to form a word below and then tap the Submit Button to register your word and corresponding score. The number of words found and the number of words needed to progress in shown in the bottom corner (6/9, for instance), which I like. If you dont meet the found word requirement, the game ends. To prevent this eventuality, after youve run out of words from the current set, you can use one of your limited number of Shuffle commands to provide a brand new set of letters to choose from, to complete the requisite number of words.

Finding the hidden word for a level will supply the player with more time, but this is not skill-based, as it is simply a pre-defined word, either chosen by the developer, or more likely, chosen randomly from the word list. Speaking of word lists, there is no display of the words youve found, so you may input a duplicate once in a while, but I can understand this choice on the part of the developers; they obviously wanted this game to be very simple to approach, based on the interface and ease of play, and I think they succeeded.

Suggestions:
  • The standard for these types of game is to use the SOWPODS or TWL word database, AFAIK, and although you are using a database of 150,000 words, it still choked on a couple of words that I looked up to make sure they were legal.
  • While the circular presentation is very attractive, my feeling is that it is harder to quickly search, find, and tap letter combinations, when not in a straight line. While I like the added ring motion, it may add to the confusion and I think it may also be why I felt like my taps were sometimes "eaten" or not registered. Another benefit of a straight line arrangement, is that you can let the player shuffle and sort the letters however they want, which helps to discover new words. This isn't really a suggested change; it's too drastic, but I think it is still worth noting.
  • If you want encourage replay (and who doesn't?), I would really suggest adding online leaderboards, if that is within your capacity.
  • On the topic of high scores, I think you should make it default to the previous entry, instead of a blank box.
  • Finding words is not exciting enough. I would add a more prominent graphical effect, at least when tapping the submit button. Obviously, it would need to be subtle enough or transparent enough to not interrupt gameplay, but I think the game is missing a bit of polish.
  • I would re-examine your algorithm for choosing letters, since it sometimes chooses combinations that are somewhat cumbersome, such as providing a Q, without a U. Here are some examples I ran across that, while I was able to find enough words to move on, they felt somewhat unfair: kahqcsya, syfaacyz, and soonnqw. I know the ability to shuffle button can serve to mitigate this issue, but those are only available in limited quantities and I word rather use those when I fail, not when the randomizer fails.
  • For me, the typeface looked pretty kewl, but I felt like some letters (N, for instance) were hard to identify immediately. Probably something I'll get used, but I thought I would mention it.
  • I couldnt figure out how to pause the game, other than shut off my iPhone.

Thanks to rich and to Ethervision for the code!

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
09-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks so much for the comments. Totally appreciated! Your comments are going to help us to improve the game.

You hit the nail on the head with the 'simplicity' goal. We wanted to create something that was based, quite simply, on making words against the clock. We play games like Wordle all the time and love the simplicity of them. I had built a game a while ago with a similar 'word circle' mechanism and it proved to be very popular, which is why it became the games main theme here.

A global high score board is certainly on the cards for the first update, amongst other things

Comments? Keep 'em coming!
Jeff.
09-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Oh ... and I like the idea of the untimed mode! We should play around with that and see how it works out.

Thanks again,
Jeff.
09-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicParrot View Post
Thanks so much for the comments. Totally appreciated! Your comments are going to help us to improve the game.

You hit the nail on the head with the 'simplicity' goal. We wanted to create something that was based, quite simply, on making words against the clock. We play games like Wordle all the time and love the simplicity of them. I had built a game a while ago with a similar 'word circle' mechanism and it proved to be very popular, which is why it became the games main theme here.

A global high score board is certainly on the cards for the first update, amongst other things

Comments? Keep 'em coming!
Jeff.
That's great to hear. Thanks for participating in the forums and good luck on your game!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL