★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Should we have access to pulled apps forever?

08-21-2015, 05:32 AM
Should we have access to pulled apps forever?

I want to replay this game (Darkin) but its unavailable in the canadian store. Why did it get pulled back?

Last edited by metalcasket; 09-08-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added name of game
08-21-2015, 06:50 AM
Nobody knows. These guys disappeared last year.
There is no Facebook/Twitter activity anymore, the website shut down and no more Darkin on the App Store.
It's strange how it goes sometimes, devs & games going under the radar.
Because this is a game a lot of people would like to play.
Including me, learned about the game too late but it was already gone.

08-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
I thought it was weird that it disappeared from the store and my purchase history. I will never delete it and hopefully it will work for many iOS versions to come.
It's gone from purchase history because the devs have pulled out of the Apple dev listing.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
09-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
It's gone from purchase history because the devs have pulled out of the Apple dev listing.
Even if they closed up shop they shouldn't have done that. I was surprised that there was not even a tiny mention like hey thanks everyone but we can't stay in business or something like that.

After so much clone drama in the App Store I wish someone talented would clone this or Dungeon Raid as they are so great.
09-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sash-O View Post
You're one lucky guy. Knew about the game too late to download/buy it. Wish I have it on my device.
Is there some way to get an app from someone else's device without using the store?
09-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Is there some way to get an app from someone else's device without using the store?
the only way i know is using the same Apple ID on your device, but since this is a pulled game, you should sync the Darkin ipa (if your friend still has it), and everything that he has on his device through iTunes on his Mac/Pc... UNTHINKABLE!!!

Last edited by Gwarmaxx; 09-03-2015 at 10:02 PM.
09-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Even if they closed up shop they shouldn't have done that.
So let me get this straight, you think a small developer that lost so much money on the game they ceased support for it more than a year, lost so much money they never developed another game for iOS again, should have renewed their developer's license just so you can redownload a game people purchased for a couple of dollars nearly 18 months ago?

This is a perfect example of the completely irrational sense of entitlement that keeps the App Store such a mess.
09-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
So let me get this straight, you think a small developer that lost so much money on the game they ceased support for it more than a year, lost so much money they never developed another game for iOS again, should have renewed their developer's license just so you can redownload a game people purchased for a couple of dollars nearly 18 months ago?

This is a perfect example of the completely irrational sense of entitlement that keeps the App Store such a mess.
I might be lacking total knowledge of how things work fronts developer perspective, but I guess I meant that even if this happens the App Store should still allow you to keep a copy or backup of a game you purchased. Even if it was not in the marketplace anymore, it should remain in a purchase history or at the very least an iCloud backup.
09-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post

It should be apples responsibility to keep the game on the server. There is not any irrational sense of entitlement in this. This is such a perfect example of how messed up the App Store is, I smell a class action lawsuit coming...
09-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
It should be apples responsibility to keep the game on the server. There is not any irrational sense of entitlement in this. This is such a perfect example of how messed up the App Store is, I smell a class action lawsuit coming...
As I understand it, it's pretty simple. You need to pay Apple some sort of developer fee of some $100 a year (not too sure on this maybe it has gone up or down from this as that is what I heard the fee was many years ago). While that fee lets you publish as many apps as you want (and, believe you me, some shovelware devs appear to push this generosity to the limit), come time to renew, if you don't pay your apps are pulled down from the AppStore.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews