★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iOS Still Has VERY Few Console-Quality Games

09-11-2015, 04:41 AM
iOS Still Has VERY Few Console-Quality Games

Frankly I'm flabbergasted that this point iOS still doesn't even have a decent selection of PSP/Vita/3DS-caliber games. As in, games produced on a healthy budget that feel console-quality but devised for mobile. Sure, make the argument that games like Infinity Blade or Lili are console-quality games, but they still feel independently done. Perhaps it's because iOS games don't sell at the typical $35-$50 price point, but for years I have been daring a developer to release a true console game and charge full price for it. I have yet to see a developer attempt it. iPhones now more than ever have the capacity and performance to handle it, so I am very surprised to see how casual even some of the better games are.

At least Disney is doing so with Disney Infinity 3.0 so that's a start, but there should be much more. To be honest I feel like the PSP for its time had better games than the average iPhone game. Hell, some of them were console ports. Bioshock was a sad attempt at a port that tried too hard to be a universal app for older devices rather than embrace the performance of the newest devices.

It is a bit odd to not see a category of games that there's at least a market for.

Editor at iPhone Alley - Complete re-launch coming soon!
64GB black iPhone 5 - 32GB black 3rd-gen iPad
09-11-2015, 05:03 AM
MHFU? GTA:CTW? Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath? Ace Attorney series? Ghost Trick? Shantae? Soul Calibur? Scribblenauts? Final Fantasy I - VII? Dragon Quest series? Don't Starve? Warhammer Quest? W40k? Terraria? Rollercoaster Tycoon 3? Minecraft? Survival Craft? Lunar SSS? Crimson Gem Saga? Bastion? Transistor? Doom games? Pirates!? Worms series? Ms Splosion Man? Lara Croft? The World Ends With You? Legend of Grimrock? M&M - Clash of Heroes? Dead Space? Lots of sport games?
I could name several dozens more games. Of course, because of the general Appstore pricing nonsense, we will never have ALL the good stuff, but there are tons of games in console/PC quality meanwhile.
If there was a general consent to shell out $20-$25 for high quailty games, there would be heaps more. But when people start calling $5 games = premium games, or constantly wait for price drops to $1 or free, well, I stop wondering.

Btw., good to see you're back, you were gone for quite a while.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 09-11-2015 at 05:09 AM.

09-11-2015, 05:17 AM
Because most iOS users won't pay 20-30 for a game?
09-11-2015, 06:45 AM
On the bright side, Apple seems to be moving in that direction. Apple TV bundle includes an MFi controller, and its remote can already do a lot of things a wii can do. This probably hints at them trying to smoothslide their way into crushing console gaming. LOL

I believe the new guitar hero for apple tv will also get a guitar which can connect to apple tv the way its remote does.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 09-11-2015 at 06:50 AM.
09-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
MHFU? GTA:CTW? Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath? Ace Attorney series? Ghost Trick? Shantae? Soul Calibur? Scribblenauts? Final Fantasy I - VII? Dragon Quest series? Don't Starve? Warhammer Quest? W40k? Terraria? Rollercoaster Tycoon 3? Minecraft? Survival Craft? Lunar SSS? Crimson Gem Saga? Bastion? Transistor? Doom games? Pirates!? Worms series? Ms Splosion Man? Lara Croft? The World Ends With You? Legend of Grimrock? M&M - Clash of Heroes? Dead Space? Lots of sport games?
I could name several dozens more games. Of course, because of the general Appstore pricing nonsense, we will never have ALL the good stuff, but there are tons of games in console/PC quality meanwhile.
If there was a general consent to shell out $20-$25 for high quailty games, there would be heaps more. But when people start calling $5 games = premium games, or constantly wait for price drops to $1 or free, well, I stop wondering.

Btw., good to see you're back, you were gone for quite a while.
Yay for premium games! And yes, there's a few more to add to that list that we dont need to.
09-11-2015, 07:15 AM
Weird to throw Vita in with PSP/3DS. Don't get me wrong, it's a great way to play PS1 Classics and ports of indie games, but its "console-quality" software support dried up fast. These days it's all indies, many of which overlap with iOS, and low-budget C-tier RPGs from some of Japan's most poorly -regarded RPG developers.

I guess it has Falcom stuff, though.
09-11-2015, 08:39 AM
I think there are plenty of console quality games on iOS that match the PS1\PS2 era and that's just fine with me. iOS isn't going to out console the current generation consoles. iOS devices aren't designed to be primary gaming machines. As mentioned before people aren't willing to pay for high dollar iOS games. Developers have to target a series of devices from any iPhone 4\iPad 2 to iPhone 6s\ iPad Pro. Console developers get to target one machine.

On the positive side there a huge diversity of games on iOS. The prices are super affordable. It has lots of great indie support.

Follow me at @bitGamerX for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.

Last edited by klink; 09-12-2015 at 08:10 AM.
09-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Question. What is console quality?

There are a number of games on iOS, despite it's relatively limited hardware, that would not have run on the consoles of yesterday.

"Console Quality" is a moving target.

Frankly, I am amazed at what is being done with the platform. If you've played the soft launch of DC Legends, the graphics and animations put it on par with any Final Fantasy game (with the blessed option of skipping all those battle animations when you get tired of sitting through them).

We have open world games on a mobile device! This is huge! While the graphical fidelity might not be up to say, Fallout 4, it is impressive what they have done.

Modern console hardware seems to be about using all that power to render tighter and better graphics while offering a shallower playing experience. The limits of mobile hardware has led to some great creativity on the part of the developers. Besides which, we did get some console ports from the last generation (Hello X-COM!) on yesterday's mobile hardware.

The real reason you won't see more of this is because everyone wants that "console experience", they want it for $1, and even then they'll wait till it's offered as a free promotion.
09-11-2015, 10:15 AM
"Modern console hardware seems to be about using all that power to render tighter and better graphics while offering a shallower playing experience."

Very good point. That's one of my problems with current gaming gen. Most of the stuff is overconcerned with graphics and forget to make fun or compelling games.

I would choose Monument Valey over them any day of the week.
09-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
On the positive side there a huge diversity of games on iOS. The prices are supper affordable. It has lots of great indie support.
That's the strongest point on ios, in my humble opinion. The variety we have access to is stunning.

I love adventures, point and click games, interactive fiction, visual novels and "inovative" games, so the system has been a bless for me.

I would love to play something like Fallout 4, but that's the trade-off and I am fine with that.

Tha main issue that should be adress is compatibility with newer OS and the ever lasting (or at least be warned beforehanded) ability to redownload games we previously purchased.