★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Lack of 3rd Person Shooters on iOS

09-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Lack of 3rd Person Shooters on iOS

By 3rd person shooter i mean behind-the-back-view.

With EA pulling out Dead Space and Mass Effect Infiltrator, i think only a very select few are decent.

It seems Shadowgun will be king without much competition, and then there's Max Payne, 9mm, Invader hunter, and Star Warfare 1 & 2. There's the sandbox types too like GTA and Gangstar, but im looking for the more linear-ish ones.

Im actually re-downloading 2013 Infected Wars to see if i'll like it, but im sure i didnt back then. They did update it after a while with a few difficulty modes but i think they dropped it to freemium and not everyone who played it then liked it. We'll see.

Are there any other ones out there worth checking out?

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
09-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Only game that comes to mind is Trigger Fist. It's alright if you want to play against bots most of the time. A bit difficult to find matches with real players these days. You could also check out M.U.S.E. It's a single player TPS with RPG elements. Not sure if it works with iOS 8 and up though.

09-13-2015, 06:15 AM
I really didnt like MUSE, but im willing to give it another shot.

2013 Infected Wars is ok, but still a mess with how "difficulty" only means zombies with 9000 hp. The freemium model is how it should have been since the beginning with how everything is setup. Putting a mid-tier price tag on it on release with how much freemium elements it had (as it is right now) was unexpected and was a huge turn off. The first 2 difficulties are at least ok now even though it still takes multiple headshots to define the game's difficulty.

Im really not expecting out of Madfinger Games anymore, but i hope they at least update Shadowgun on each future iOS version coz it's still one of (if not the best) the best 3rd person shooter available on iOS.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
09-13-2015, 06:36 AM
Call me weird but I think it's nice that we have at least one platform that isn't utterly swamped by shooters.
09-13-2015, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgamer View Post
Call me weird but I think it's nice that we have at least one platform that isn't utterly swamped by shooters.
I understand what you mean, but being swamped is pretty different from having a number of decent shooters being countable with your fingers.

09-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Yep, I think the same, iOS has very few decent TPS, I mean, I think that in general we don't have too many 'Hardcore' games on iOS but I think that's because of the fact that, if you are targeting a game for 'Hardcore' players and you aren't Fallout Shelter you will need to be premium, premium usually generates less revenue compared to F2P, and 'Hardcore' games are usually more expensive to develop so they have even less profit margin making 'Hardcore' games way less attractive to developers.
But anyways, we at least have Shadowgun and Respawnables, those two are probably some of the few veterans remaining
09-13-2015, 10:05 AM
I'd love to see a "Shadowgun 2" or an offshoot of Shadowgun. In my opinion Shadowgun and Mass Effect really set the bar for iOS TPS games.

Bullet Time HD by Kiloo games is a good one if you haven't checked that one out.
09-13-2015, 10:24 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/captain-strike/id898201705?mt=8

Just found this one. Downloading now. ....
09-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Exact!Try playing MHFU with a bow/bowgun/heavy bowgun.Now you have another awesome rpg/third person shooter on iOS

But to be serious,dual stick shooters with view from top can also be considered as tps' and we're getting a lot of them.

Last edited by Kenan2000; 09-13-2015 at 01:11 PM.
09-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan2000 View Post
Exact!Try playing MHFU with a bow/bowgun/heavy bowgun.Now you have another awesome rpg/third person shooter on iOS

But to be serious,dual stick shooters with view from top can also be considered as tps' and we're getting a lot of them.
I have sank 600 hours on mhfu ios and yes i have over 100 usages on each weapon type at least so no, that's not going to scratch the itch.

If you check my original post in this thread the first line specified that we are lacking the behind-the-back ones. I know top-downs and even side scrollers are all in third person, but that's not what we are lacking on ios.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 09-14-2015 at 10:23 AM.