★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: One game on two iPhones?

12-21-2008, 06:49 PM
One game on two iPhones?

Wondering if someone could clarify this for me.
If you have two iPhones/iPod Touch devices, can you install the same game or app to both units? I'm assuming that, under standard Fairplay DRM rules, you can have music or movies on upto 5 desktops/laptops, and unlimited iPods, but would that apply to App Store stuff?
Cheers,
12-21-2008, 06:55 PM
yes. I have two iphones (one for my girl) and I have them both synced to the same account, so 1 app can be installed on both.

12-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Just sign in with the other iTunes account to download the apps on your iPhone. Then you can sync w/ your normal account.
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Wouldn't that mess up the configurations for your playlists or something?

I set my girl's ipod touch to her own account, and I realize this means we'll have to pay twice for the same game :/
12-21-2008, 07:05 PM
I have 4 iPhones and mix and match the games on each of them. One account only. It's not a problem at all.
12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyNobre View Post
Wouldn't that mess up the configurations for your playlists or something?

I set my girl's ipod touch to her own account, and I realize this means we'll have to pay twice for the same game :/
For media/playlists, you could just manually copy the ones you wanted to the desire devices. I have an iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch with different sets of music, movies and games. Also, an iPod Video with all my music/movies and a iPod Nano with just some music. Works, I think iTunes DRM is the fairest DRM. I spent close to US$500 on apps..would have hated to buy the same thing over and over as I did with Windows Mobile with each new device.
12-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohns View Post
For media/playlists, you could just manually copy the ones you wanted to the desire devices. I have an iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch with different sets of music, movies and games. Also, an iPod Video with all my music/movies and a iPod Nano with just some music. Works, I think iTunes DRM is the fairest DRM. I spent close to US$500 on apps..would have hated to buy the same thing over and over as I did with Windows Mobile with each new device.
You guys have me convinced. I'll sync her iPod touch to my iTunes so she can play the games/apps I already bought.

Thing is, it's already wrapped and under the tree how should I go about with it, after she opens it? Restore to factory settings, plug it to iTunes while signed in under my name, and just transfer everything back?
12-21-2008, 07:18 PM
I have two under the same account it works fine
12-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyNobre View Post
You guys have me convinced. I'll sync her iPod touch to my iTunes so she can play the games/apps I already bought.

Thing is, it's already wrapped and under the tree how should I go about with it, after she opens it? Restore to factory settings, plug it to iTunes while signed in under my name, and just transfer everything back?
That's what I would do. If you restore and when it asks "automatically copy...", uncheck these to manage the music/video/phots/contacts/etc manually. There's also a "Manually manage music and videos" check box on the device summary screen. I've always just used the one account so I'm uncertain as how to merge the two accounts or even if that's possible.

Also, might want to look at device restrictions under settings/general for hiding iTunes and AppStore apps on the device.
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Got it.

Just hope nothing weird happens, like maybe she'll change something on her iPod, the settings will end up being carried over to my iPhone via iTunes when I sync it after her... I don't know.