Forum Feature Request: Hide threads from view

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Nullzone, Sep 18, 2015.

?

Do you want the described "hide" feature?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2015.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Not sure, don't care, etc.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Short descscription:
    User function to hide any (sub)forum/thread from user's view, e.g. in "New Posts" view.

Long desc:
    With the new "Hot Games" Subforums for Geometry Dash and Order&Chaos2 I have to wade to through more and more chaff I am not interested in at all.
    I'd very much prefer if I could hide/block off anything I don't want to see completely.
    This would e.g. also include Android or Mac subforums for me personally.

Ideally
    - this would be completely configurable for each user
    - any "marked hidden" (sub)forum/thread would not show any (new) content in any view; e.g. "New Posts", "Today's Post", or the mainpage sidebar
    - hidden parts would still show on the main view http://forums.toucharcade.com/index.php
    - User Control Panel would have (a) new entry/ies "show hidden" and/or "manage hidden"

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
  3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Echoseven:
    Thanks for the reminder.
    I disabled Android ages ago, had totally forgotten about that option (and cannot remember if it's on or off by default, but assume disable=off for that).

That page is already pretty filled.
    If more disable options would be added there
    - it will become even longer
    - you need (at least) an admin's action to get anything added to the list
    - I'd at least recommend to move it to a clearly recognisable and separate section on that page

I don't know how difficult a "hide/unhide" button/option would be to implement e.g. on the main forum page or as a separate option (page) on the controlpanel.
    But in terms of UI & ease of use I think it would be the better approach.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah that shouldn't be a big deal to have a similar toggle for the new Hot Games forum group. As far as hiding individual threads, I'm not sure we can do that as we're sort of trapped on this version of Vbulletin.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Been a few busy days, totally forgot to answer :(

No worries, hiding subforums like Hot Games should be enough. Hiding per thread looked like icing on the cake to me. But thinking a bit further, I'm concerned about how much storage space that would need for thousands of users and threads, not to mention possible performance impact on that scale.

Out of curiosity:
    Why do you say you're trapped with this vBulletin version? Too much customisation to easily port/upgrade, I guess?
    Wondering, because from my work experience it's almost never a hard "we have to keep using X" (e.g. application only works below Java 1.6, so you have to stick with older JREs).
    But a "soft" "migration costs & effort are too much to justify, not worth it". Which I think is the case for TA, so now I'd like to know if I'm right ;)

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We have a lot of custom back-end stuff written that make things like the Hot Games list work, things automatically link on the front page, etc. We'd need to migrate most of that and considering future versions of vbulletin don't really bring anything majorly compelling to the table it's not worth the effort.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for the explanation, Eli!