Universal Chess Cards Game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by digoben, Sep 21, 2015.

1. digoben

digoben Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    #1 digoben, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

Chess Cards - Mate! Unlimited

Pawel Klarkowski
    Chess Cards Game is a strategy game with full information (meaning you know the cards of your opponent), played with a s…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Chess Cards Game is a strategy game with full information (meaning you know the cards of your opponent), played with a set of just 20 cards and simple rules. But don't be misled! Despite simple rules the game is challenging and requires smart thinking and forseeing the moves of the other player. What's more, it is a game where the winning depends on your skills and not your luck! Each match consists of two rounds and the players exchange the cards after the first round. In this way the match result doesn't depend on the luck of the initial draw, but on the strategic skills of the players. The app contains short tutorial which will help you learn the rules in no time (you may also check the game webpage). The game is based on the Mate game created in 1915 by G.Capellen. You may choose between two beautiful sets of cards, with chess and classic theme, displayed in native resolution on devices ranging from iPhone 4S to XS Max and iPad Pro. Gentle sound effects will also enhance your game experience. There are several modes of play: - Solo game - you may exercise your skills during the game with Albert AI (on three levels of difficulty), - Dual player game - play with your family member or a friend on one device, - Local network game - you may play on two devices via WiFi or Bluetooth, - Game Center game - last but not least, you may play with your friends or other players around the world via Game Center. In this mode your highest ranking (difference between your points and opponent points in the current match) is stored on the ranking leaderboard in Game Center. In addition you may set advanced rules for dual player game in app settings before you start the match. Advanced rules allow you to sacrifice single or multiple cards before each player's turn. Sacrificed cards are not used during current round and playing with sacrifices may dramatically change the outcome of the game making it even more challenging and interesting. So, test your strategic skills and play Chess Cards Game! If you like the game, please take a moment to leave a positive review or rating in the App Store - it really helps, thank you!
    Information
    Seller:Pawel Klarkowski
    Genre:Card, Strategy
    Release:Sep 13, 2015
    Updated:Oct 26, 2019
    Version:3.9
    Size:85.1 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Check also:
    Game webpage: www.ChessCardsGame.com
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chesscardsgame

2. digoben

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    Chess Cards Game - update

The new version of the game is available on App Store.

3. digoben

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    Chess Cards Game - season sale!

Grab it while the season sale lasts!

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    The game itaelf is nice! It is fun and you learn it within one minute ...

But:

1. The options and the rule button does not work most of the times on the iPhone 6s+

2. No in Game sound at all ... hm ... at least some sounds would be nice.

3. No natural resolution support for iPad Pro.

4. The AI could be even better ... after ten games on smart AI 7:3 for me ... so if I am not a genius it is not soooo good. ;)

Nevertheless, a good cardgame which could real a gem with some work ...

5. digoben

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thank you for your comments:
    Ad1. Unfortunately i don't have 6s+ and in simulator it works fine. Just to clarify in the Solo mode the only option is the game without sacrifices and the rule button is ignored. Only in dual modes this setting has significance.
    Ad2. True, but I didn't want to distract from the game, however I am considering it for future update.
    Ad3. In the works for future update.
    Ad4. True, however there is a reason for it. The game uses alpha-beta with pruning, which I have considered simple and effective algorithm which allows to learn and exercise strategy before playing with live opponents in dual player modes (especially in lite version of the app). However I will think about improving AI in the full version.

Anyway thank you for your feedback.

6. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Hi,
    thank you for your answer. Please do not understand me wrong, I don't want to make your game bad ... it is good, really! And I like it.

Sound would be nice ... if somebody does not like it ... turn off is always possible.

Native resolution for every iDevice would also be nice, but of course, it does not look bad right now.

More AI level would be good, maybe it would help, to give the AI more thinking time for a deeper search. This could be the first step. The best would be, to makes different AIs with different strategies, but this is hard to program, I know.

Nevertheless I am looking forward to see the next updates. :)

7. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for the feedback, MB. Thanks, too, DB for the response. I'll wait for a few more tweaks before pulling the trigger. Looks like a game up my alley...

8. digoben

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    Chess Cards Game - new version

New version is now available on App Store. Major changes include:
    - native resolution on all supported devices - from iPhone 4S to iPad Pro,
    - updated graphics,
    - added sound effects to enhance game experience,
    - updates related to Game Center matches in order to improve reliability of ending turns,
    - added Polish localization
    and as usual a lot of other updates, fixes, enhancements etc.

Enjoy and if you like Chess Cards Game, please take a moment to leave a positive review or rating in the App Store - it really helps, thank you!

9. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I updated this morning and I have to say it is much better now ...

Right now my only wish would be a better AI ... maybe it would be nice to make a simple Expert level: Like in Chess Games, let the user set the thinking time of the AI ... the longer it thinks the bettwr it plays.

10. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Please display scores as they tally during the game.

11. digoben

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    Another update is now available with improved AI.
    There are still there levels of difficulty, but the algorithm is changed and predicts the movements with different number of steps.
    Hopefully it will challenge you more, enjoy.

12. digoben

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    What do you have in mind? The score is calculated when there is a mate (or overmate in a game with sacrifices). There is no score during the game. Or do you mean the score after 1st round should be visible during the 2nd?

13. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    like the idea of this I may download

14. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi digoben,

A question, as it isn't clear to me. I understand about the Mate Round ending. That's good.

So, what if we don't reach Mate in one of the rounds? Does it end in a tie? Does the player with more turns won win? And what's the score for one such win, apologies?

It might be a naive question, but it certainly wasn't obvious to me.

Also, why is the order of the card numbers not the same as the order of piece importance? :)

Best,
    Paulo

15. digoben

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    Hi Paulo,
    you are correct regarding tie - if there is no mate (or overmate in advanced rules game) the round ends in a tie and there are no points scored by the players. This rule was originally set by the G.Capellen - the author of the Mate game. The number of winning turns during the round doesn't matter for the score.
    This allows to try defense strategy (i.e. go for a tie) for the player with weaker cards who would otherwise loose such round automatically.

G.Capellen also has set the different order of the ranks and the different order of the values. As the goal of the game is the mate or overmate with highest points possible this 'complication' is mainly to make the game more challenging. You would score more points with mate by pawn (7 x move number) than knight ( 3 x move number), so you may be tempted to do so, but pawn is of course the weakest card, so you have to be careful when playing it.

BTW. try also the game with sacrifices (in dual player modes) - this is where new level of challenge starts :)

Enjoy,
    Digoben

16. digoben

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but new version of the app is in review - among other things it contains your separate best ratings for each mode of game (also for the AI player in solo game). It is displayed in the beginning of each game, so in this way you can see the "strength" of the players.

The update should hopefully be available during the coming weekend.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Good fun so far, takes a bit to get the color ranking, but it's a very interesting take on a 2 player trick taking game with a cute Chess theming (no actual knowledge of Chess required). Another bit not immediately intuitive, but actually interesting design, is that piece values and piece ranking are not directly correlated (the lowly pawn can't beat any same colored pieces but if you can make your final move with one, it's worth BIG POINTS).

18. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well, it is the same in chess: The weak pawn becomes at the end of the game the most important piece: If it walks to the other side, it becomes a queen or whatever you want ... ;)

19. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #19 thumbs07, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    its good game, but don't understand the scoring.
    One advert crashes the game but forgotten which one. Same advert twice.(it's the game of war ad)
    edit- on another game of war ad it was fine this time.

20. digoben

Sep 21, 2015
    Computer Engineer
    Warsaw, Poland
    In single user game (and generally game without sacrifices) the score for the winning player in the round is calculated by multiplying move number by winning card value. Then the scores from both rounds for each player are added resulting in final score.

The score for game with sacrifices is more complex and depends also on number of sacrificed cards and if there was mate or overmate. You may check the game webpage www.chesscardsgame.com for full explanation.

The ranking for the winning player is calculated by subtracting from his score the score of the losing player. The ranking shows kind of "strength" of the winning player.