★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Finger Arts
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 8.2 MB
  • Version: 2.0.1
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Tons of Anagrams based on the latest News :) With various levels of difficulty, you have to mix and match from a pool of letters the missing ones to complete the headline of a true news article from today :)
How does it work? Very simple: After you read a brief abstract of the article, you fill in the empty slots from the Headline using a set of tiles containing the missing letters. If you guess right, you win and move up to the next one to collect more points. If you mis-match one or more tiles (depending on the level of difficulty) you lose the game :)
To match a tile, tap it, or if you like, drag it to its slot for example, to start matching that "ing" or "ed" out of the way :) And if you like to start solving from the last word, or any word, of the Headline tap it, and its matching letters will highlight.
I recommend this strongly to all. Definitely one the better games out there - iWikiPhone.com
I bought it and.woah. This is actually fun and very addicting - panappticon.com
Succeeds as both an entertaining puzzle game and an informative option for news across several topics without diluting either - GameZone.com

skyye06's comments:
Couldn't find it in the search

lite
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=330690018&mt=8
09-26-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm actually kind of intrigued by this. It's a little like Wheel of Fortune, but with only newspaper headlines, and since they're culled from RSS feeds they will constantly be changing, providing for unlimited play. The slick design doesn't hurt it any either.

EDIT: Huh... not available in the Canadian App Store. Either it hasn't propagated to the Canadian store or it's locked out of non-US regions -- which would be rather idiotic.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

Last edited by Mindfield; 09-26-2009 at 11:40 PM.

09-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
I'm actually kind of intrigued by this. It's a little like Wheel of Fortune, but with only newspaper headlines, and since they're culled from RSS feeds they will constantly be changing, providing for unlimited play. The slick design doesn't hurt it any either.
yeah same here, dl the lite

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
09-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Quote:

EDIT: Huh... not available in the Canadian App Store. Either it hasn't propagated to the Canadian store or it's locked out of non-US regions -- which would be rather idiotic.
I am too, the only thing that I'm a bit concerned about, is the fact that some news headlines are completely non-sensical; and that depending on what publications they get them from, they can be complete localised in appeal.

Gamecenter: Pietrole --
--
Peter L. -- (retired) Official TouchArcade Reviewer & Reporter.
09-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn View Post
I am too, the only thing that I'm a bit concerned about, is the fact that some news headlines are completely non-sensical; and that depending on what publications they get them from, they can be complete localised in appeal.
As long as they aren't feeding from Reuters or Bloomberg with their incessant numbered updates on developing stories (Update 1, Update 2, etc.) it should be okay. Even if they're local stories, or stories with absurd or silly headlines, it should be okay for the most part. Plus, you might get a bonus unfortunately-phrased headline fit for Regret the Error.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
09-26-2009, 11:57 PM
US Store only. Other countries "soon"
http://www.fingerarts.com/site/home.html
09-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Tried the lite version. This one has potential but not quite there yet.

Think of an anagram game like Million Dollar Password or Wordmix. Instead of like Muddled and Textropolis where you are given x amount of letters and make tons of words from those letters in Guess The News you are given letters for each word and just double tap on the letters in the correct order. If you tap on wrong one it'll place it in the correct position and highlight it red. It auto advanced to the next word in the headline.

My suggestions are double the space on bottom as my finger can barely scroll that area to read the headline. Pull maybe 5 lines from article instead of just three.

Read the article needs some work as many times it's just pulling up some page but not the article.

One thing that can ruin this is towns, citie names and last names or first names. So if possible check if those words are in the TWOLO or whatever you call that scrabble dictionary and if not just automatically fill it in.

I guess this could take the place of Wordmix as it would have limitless potential of never ending gameplay.
09-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Quote:

Hello Mindfield,

Thank you for your interest. I am part of the team here at Finger Arts who developed 'Guess the News'.
Yes, unfortunatley, the game will not be available in Canada for a couple of more weeks. We are working on an update which will include music and sound and other 'surprises'.

If you have any questions or woudl like to share comment, please contact us.
Many Thanks,
Isabella
09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
US Store only. Other countries "soon"
http://www.fingerarts.com/site/home.html
Hi DaveMc99,

Thank you for clarifying. We are working on a release for all English speaking countries, France, Germany and Italy! We are going to submit to the App Store our international version with localized news content in a matter of days.

Many Thanks,
Isabella
(part of the Finger Arts team)

Last edited by Isabella01; 09-28-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: additional info on intl version
09-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn View Post
Hello Windburn,

We filter the headlines trying to present only qualified and clear headlines. We do that by choosing prominent news sources such as ABC, CNN, and The New York Times and applying algorithms to make sure that an headline matches our requirements to support a satisfying user experience.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
Many Thanks for your interest!
Isabella