★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPod's and Headphones?

09-22-2015, 06:50 PM
iPod's and Headphones?

wondering if anyone here knows a lot about either of these subjects. I've currently got an iPod classic but I have no idea what I'm going to do when it dies. I have the 160gb version and the only alternative seems to be the touch but that costs a lot of money for what it is considering I have an iPhone and iPad and don't want a touch.

Secondly I use basic iPhone earbuds but find it hard looking through all this audiophile info trying to pick headphones. Mainly for work where there is background noise so I think I need closed back over ear headphones. I only want 1 cable plugging into them and no extra battery pack or anything like that with them. I copy all my music on a lossless format and want good quality sound mostly for metal, heavy, thrash, black, melodic ect
09-27-2015, 08:09 PM
iPod's and Headphones?

If you're not opposed to in-ear headphones, I had a great run with etymotic HF3. They are really good at isolating noise, drowning out the background. In fact, it was almost eerily quiet. My cat chewed up my pair a while back, and I've been stuck with a Klipsch R6i. Not bad, but not as good.

For over the ear, I've used the Kingston HyperX Cloud with my iPhone before and I like it, but I don't have a big sample set, so it's the only one I've tried. It's a bit of a clunky cable setup, though. It's a separate headphone and mic cable that hooks up to the special headset cable that goes to the iPhone. Technically it's only one going to the iPhone but it just splits out into two to get to the headset

Last edited by fury; 09-27-2015 at 08:11 PM.
09-27-2015, 10:20 PM
I too have an old 160GB iPod - still going strong and I love it. I don't know what I will do when it dies...

Headphones can be quite a complicated subject and everyone has lots of opinions. I like using headphones and have been using them (and following them for quite a number of years). A few things to consider

1) Price - pretty obvious
2) Impedance - high impedance requires an amplifier or the music does not sound good
4) Noise isolation
5) Comfort - closed back gives you better isolation, but in the long run tend to be not as comfortable for many hours

There are some good in-ear sets. In order to use these properly though they have to be inserted deep into the ear canal and generally people don't do this, so they lose both sound quality and noise isolation. I have the Ultimate Ear Triple Fi 10s and love them (they have been discontinued for a long time) - also the Shure E3c (also discontinued). I have not tried any of the new ones so can't help much with the in-ear.

For around $100 or under there are a few to consider - The Sennheiser PX200 II are on-ear, but they are made for sports and actually do a pretty good job cutting out outside noise. I use them in the gym and feel they are pretty reasonable. They also have a built in mike so you can use it for phone calls as well. The Grado 60 and 80 models are open, but they sound so excellent it is hard not to mention them. The Sony MDR V6 have been around for decades and are excellent - however, a lot of people don't like them because they really have a flat response and most people like their headphones to "color" the music - but for a studio monitor they are still some of the best you can get.

For more than $100 - AudioTechnica ATH-M50x are great. The x at the end has a removable cord which is nice to either get better cables, or swap between straight and coiled. For less than $200 they are likely some of the best you can get - they frequently drop on sale for around $100. I have been tempted to get some of the Sennheiser Momentum as they get pretty much all around good reviews - worth looking at. It is almost impossible for me to find anywhere that actually carries headphones that you can try on anymore... The over ear are more expensive then the On-ear, but both look good. Sennheiser frequently goes on sale as well.

Expensive headphones - my best headphones are the Sennheiser HD600 and although there are the 650's and the 800's - I can't afford them, and I love the 600's enough to not worry about something better. High impedance though and require an amplifier.

If you get some reasonable headphones - consider getting a DAC or an amplifier, or a combo -

I have the FiiO E11 as a very small, light portable amp and it works really nicely. For a desk type, JDS Labs makes a great amp called the O2 for $150 although you can find a lot of nice amps in this price range.

A couple good sites to check out are Head-Fi.org - there are forums there that are very active. Also headphone.com is a store, but has lots of great reviews and also customer reviews and can serve as a good place to look at reasonable quality merchandise.

Sorry for the wall of text. As I said, I have been enjoying headphones for many years. You are doing it right with the lossless music - having some quality headphones will make a difference. Let us know what you end up with.

Oh, one last thought -about closed and open - the open also let more noise OUT - so if you are in a quiet environment you might disturb people around you with on-ear or open headphones.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer