★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The call has gone out for new heroes to train and combat dark forces invading Timbercross. Uryene the Lion has opened his legendary academy to any willing to join the cause. Fight through hordes defiling local dungeons, gaining equipment and skills. Graduate and storm the countryside to eliminate the threat closing in. Collect treasure to buy sweet upgrades, or get lucky and find them as you go. As you improve, more grueling dungeons open and punishing creatures swarm.

The Lion and the academy train Fighters, Rangers and Wizards. Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Halflings of either gender are accepted. Get up close and personal with your foe as a Fighter, start your bow attack from afar as a Ranger, or train as a Wizard to learn powerful magic attacks. Each hero type requires a different strategy. Uryene sends no student into the wild without formal training in the nine academy dungeons. Be aware that boss Trolgar the Thumb has been seen in the final lesson. After graduation you are able to venture out and explore the surrounding four regions, beating back the invading legions and their ferocious masters.

Dungeoneers Academy is a mobile RPG/Rogue style fantasy adventure in which players control an avatar from a lowly recruit/trainee into a great hero of the land. Treasure and monsters are random for replayability, yet tailored to the each dungeons level. You will also encounter far more monsters when returning to lower level dungeons. The Academy Guild Store is always available with a great selection of equipment, weapons, spell scrolls and potions for you to choose from. Remember that some items are better for some classes than others.

metalcasket's comments:

Duneoneers Academy

Fun Spray Games
Genres: Games Adventure Role-Playing
$3.79 NZD

Quote:
Dungeoneers Academy is a mobile game in which players control an avatar from a lowly recruit/trainee into a great hero of the land. Players may choose from two character classes, fighter and wizard. Each class has different strengths and weaknesses, and as such need to be played in their own way.

The Academy Sponsored Merchants Guild are always nearby and have a great selection of equipment, weapons, spell scrolls and potions for you to choose from. Remember that some items are better for one class than the other.

Your avatar will be able to travel 5 regions to explore and plunder the dungeons, increasing their skills and wealth. Dungeon exploration is real-time while combat enters a turn-based system, giving you time to think. You can move and fight at your own pace, slow and cautious or quick and with abandon.

Supported Devices:
  • iPadWifi
  • iPad3G
  • iPodTouchThirdGen
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G
  • iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPhone5
  • iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G
  • iPhone5c
  • iPhone5s
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPodTouchSixthGen

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 6.0

Download Size: 56.7MB

09-23-2015, 04:51 PM
So is the name of the app actually Duneoneers? You spelled it correctly in the description.

09-23-2015, 05:13 PM
The App Store description doesn't inspire much confidence, but the screenshots far more so.

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
09-23-2015, 05:16 PM
I think maybe the developers misspelled the name when submitting it? Man that sucks lol well the screen shots are intriguing I love this genre I think I can't resist
09-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Definitely a shame about the name, but I really like the look of the screenshots. Any impressions available from someone who's already bought it?

Like Her Story? Try Contradiction for iPad!

A few favourites: Contradiction. Desktop Dungeons. Til Morning's Light. Knights of Pen & Paper (1+2). Drylands. Paint it Back.
09-24-2015, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
I think maybe the developers misspelled the name when submitting it? Man that sucks lol well the screen shots are intriguing I love this genre I think I can't resist
Hell no, it's Dune-o-neers!

Please come back with some imps when you've played it a little.
09-24-2015, 06:11 AM
A game that doesn't even check and make sure it's name is spelled right is not going to be a game on my iPad....
09-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Kinda reminds me of alchemy dungeons without the crafting and perma death. Might be too easy for hardcore rogue- like fans but a good beginner for those just coming into the dungeon crawling genre or a change of pace for those that need a break from the really hard games. I actually like it
09-24-2015, 10:53 AM
So I bought the game and played a level.

It's a softcore Rogue-like, with a click-per-turn based action system... Fairly standard mechanics here.

The first problem I came across was that the game is all quite zoomed in, so you're only seeing a few spaces at a time through the fog of war, but the map is quite large. So you press quickly to move to get anywhere, but before you know it you've uncovered a mob.

The problem here is that your bow is very strong with unlimited ammo, and if you move a space or two closer to the mob by accident without using it, you make the fight a lot harder.

But then you're left wandering really slowly around a massive dungeon with only a handful of mobs... Which gets boring.

What makes it even more boring is that you have to open every chest and kill every monster to get three stars. Which I could barely be bothered to do on the first level alone.

If it were more zoomed out, if rooms were larger and your avatar smaller, and they remove the 'open every chest and kill every monster' feature this could be okay as a run of the mill rogue with nice graphics.

As it stands it feels like I'm forever trying to wade through a fog of war that's far too close to my nose, to then suddenly find myself next to a spider.

Other stuff. There are two classes. Only tried the fighter - looks to be some ok weapons - but nothing particularly inspiring, scrolls, hp potions, that kind of stuff.

The controls are a bit old school - directional arrows and separate attack buttons that take up a big chunk of your screen. Given the oversized graphics, they could probably have gotten away with just having you touch where you want to move or attack.

I love Rogues, so I might give it another try one day, but I'm not particularly inspired at the moment.

Last edited by mojojojo82; 09-24-2015 at 10:57 AM.
09-24-2015, 12:22 PM
I think this could be updated to a great game add some classes, maybe change things up a bit here and there graphics wise it's already blown a few games of this type out of the water and for three bucks it's a great deal. I'm curious to see what happens after the first level I am just getting three stars on every stage and then I am on to level 2