★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Laser Dog
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 69.1 MB
  • Version: 1.0.5
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: The evil Nanobyte virus is out, gaming is over... Its time to hook up your power gloves and save your HoPiKo brothers!

'Definitely check this out.'
~ Carter Dotson (Touch Arcade) - 4.5 / 5

'A razor-edged, bite-sized platforming experience of the highest calibre.'
~ Harry Slater (Pocket Gamer) - 9 / 10

'its the sense of intense speed that makes HoPiKo such an addictive little action game'
~ Nadia Oxford (Gamezebo) - 4.5 / 5

'The graphics are top-notch, the chiptunes are awesome, the controls are intuitive and optimized for the platform, and the gameplay itself is insanely challenging while being fun.'
~ Christine Chan (AppAdvice) - 4.5 / 5

HoPiKo is an intense speed run platformer where you get to save gaming. Jump from platform to platform avoiding death, exploiting shortcuts and ripping through 100s of hand-crafted levels, each one dropped into a 5-stage mini run designed to break your mind!

Compete to be the fastest in the world with time based scores, level pars and collectable retro consoles opening unique bonus runs.

- Fast and brutal twitch-based gameplay

- Awesome chiptune soundtrack written and composed on authentic hardware

- Uses every ounce of your muscle memory

- Unique touch screen controls, not a d-pad in sight

- Integrated Game Centre scoreboards and loads of unique achievements

HoPiKo is a universal game app, compatible with most iPhone and iPad models.
For best performance we recommend iPhone 5 or later.
09-24-2015, 12:40 AM
Woohoo! Another reliable company to ease my post-2K Blues

09-24-2015, 12:44 AM
Let me just say one thing: You need this. Bound to go down in history as an ABSO-FRICKIN'-LUTELY ESSENTIAL iOS title, right beside Mos Speedrun, the original League of Evil and the Mikey series. It plays nothing like the aforementioned titles, but is still one of the best speedrunning games available.

Also, with PUK, ALONE... and this? Laser Dog's proving to be one of the best developers on the App Store.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
09-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Well, mc, if you say "buy" I say "how high?"

*Scurries off to spend another $4*
09-24-2015, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Well, mc, if you say "buy" I say "how high?"

*Scurries off to spend another $4*
Good man. You won't regret this.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
09-24-2015, 01:10 AM
Oh yeah, digging this already! Those controls...smooth..

This is the kind of thing Laser Dog is incredible with, made for touchscreen controls and accurate, responsive gameplay.

Can anyone confirm how many stages/levels there are in here? I've just completed two runs that contained five mini-levels each.
09-24-2015, 01:15 AM
I'll pick up anything by Laser Dog, and the trailer is glorious.

"Don't Do This Or You'll Get Banned"
Unnecessary Sass Towards The Admins

Last edited by sapphire_neo; 09-24-2015 at 01:18 AM.
09-24-2015, 01:19 AM
Answering my own question here, looked on GC to confirm there are five Stages with eleven Runs each. Every run is five mini levels so in essence there are...a shitload of levels. Well worth the $4 people
09-24-2015, 02:08 AM
Laser Dog is a Dev Team that comes around just a few times a year in my opinion. Alone catapulted into one of my favorite mobile games of all time.

Regardless of testing HoPiKo over the last month or so, this is a game I have cherished since watching the first sneak peek video on Vimeo.

My MBP dons one of the HoPiKo wallpapers and my current 6+ does as well. And no they aren't paying me to say nice things.

I haven't finished all the levels and pick-ups yet. But so far I would rate this a true 5 Star Classic.

The moment it loads up the opening cutscene/menu an instant nostalgia engulfed my NES spirit. I don't want to give much else up. Watch the video, buy if this looks like your thing. I'm happy to see it landed at the top of TA's Hot New games even though it wasn't in the original Upcoming or Out Now lists.

Congrats to Laser Dog and all their supporters here.
09-24-2015, 03:20 AM
Laser Dog are fast becoming one of my favourite devs. Alone was fantastic, but this is just something else. These guys just know how to create something special. Love the whole retro vibe, the story, the visuals but more than anything the audio. I've read the chip tunes were all created on a GameBoy and they sound just amazing. Proper old school sound and high energy beats. It's also the little details that impress such as the way the music is slightly muffled on the title screen and then as you tap through the next few screens it becomes clearer and clearer, almost as if you are going inside the console. Awesome stuff!

The game not only looks and sounds great, it plays really nicely, full of speed and energy. Like I said at the start, these guys know how to make something special. They've totally nailed it.

Last edited by treasurestudio; 09-24-2015 at 06:44 AM.