★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Peter and the Mysterious Mud - entry for IGMC 2015, now free for iOS!

09-25-2015, 01:29 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 17
Peter and the Mysterious Mud - entry for IGMC 2015, now free for iOS!

Hello!

I am a newbie developer and this is my really first experience about developing a game.
Peter and the Mysterious Mud is a small game i created from scratch for IGMC 2015, the submission was for Windows, but i took the chance to understand the whole process involved in submitting an app to App Store and so i made a version for iOS.

The game is short and totally free to play, and it has bugs of course (even if i changed critical issues from IGMC entry)!

If you want to try it, here is the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/peter-and-the-mysterious-mud/id1040098043?mt=8

Of course, every impression or opinion are very welcome!

Kaem
09-25-2015, 01:35 PM
#2
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,965


Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

09-25-2015, 02:24 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
EDIT: Sorry, i didn't understand at all! Thanks a lot. ^_^

Last edited by Kaemalux; 09-27-2015 at 09:49 AM.
09-27-2015, 01:46 AM
#4
Kaem, drelbs just did a post for you in the typical Touch Arcade forum format to better show the iTunes details about your game. It's not that he can't download it (at least I think that's the case). It was a nice thing for him to do. There's a tool here somewhere to help a developer do that but I can't find the link right now. Touch Arcade has a format for a developer to introduce his game and drelbs was helping you out.

Downloading Peter.
10-02-2015, 04:58 PM
#5
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 17
Thanks a lot Cat for pointing it out.

I am sorry, i am really newbie!

However, here it is an Android version, playable for free from Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...riousMud&hl=it

Everyone is very welcome to try it!

A side question, is this the right forum section about showing a project or should i have posted somewhere else?

Thanks again.
10-04-2015, 02:10 AM
#6
Touch Arcade is a wonderful forum for mobile games and it has different places for different things. This is the place for released ios games. There's also a place for ios games in development.

And there is a place for Android games----you might want to list Peter and the Mysterious Mud there as well. : )

http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Follow the format other developers have used there to post their game with a link to the google play store.
10-04-2015, 01:42 PM
#7
I tried the Android version on my Oneplus One.

My first thought was the phone really heated up which is not uncommon but only really happens with some intense resource usage (which this simple pixel pushing game should not be doing). So my first thought is to maybe look at optimizing the game a bit. I see it is made with Unity so I don't really know what kind of profiling tools they have to use.

My second thought was the interface is confusing. My third thought was that I have no idea where I should be going. My fourth thought was that there is an awful lot of text to read.

Confusing interface and lack of direction stem from no real tutorialisation for the player. It just drops me and I have to work everything out. I think if things were introduced in small hunks and I could learn each thing then I would be fine.

The too much text thing is a bother when trying to get to grips with the game. I guess it isn't overly bad if you are deeper in the game but when it's straight up when you are trying to work out what to do it gets frustrating.

Overall this is a great rookie effort. Keep learning

Roguebox Studios
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Daily pics on our Instagram
10-08-2015, 03:11 AM
#8
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I tried the Android version on my Oneplus One.

My first thought was the phone really heated up which is not uncommon but only really happens with some intense resource usage (which this simple pixel pushing game should not be doing). So my first thought is to maybe look at optimizing the game a bit. I see it is made with Unity so I don't really know what kind of profiling tools they have to use.

My second thought was the interface is confusing. My third thought was that I have no idea where I should be going. My fourth thought was that there is an awful lot of text to read.

Confusing interface and lack of direction stem from no real tutorialisation for the player. It just drops me and I have to work everything out. I think if things were introduced in small hunks and I could learn each thing then I would be fine.

The too much text thing is a bother when trying to get to grips with the game. I guess it isn't overly bad if you are deeper in the game but when it's straight up when you are trying to work out what to do it gets frustrating.

Overall this is a great rookie effort. Keep learning
Thanks, really thanks a lot Rogue.

You advice are really precious, they will be totally useful for a newbie developer like me. I will try to improve the game following each of your suggestion!

Actually, you gave me lot of things to look about, i really appreciated it!

If it is not too much to ask, have you any opinion / feedback? Even if you didn't finish it, and dialogues were too long (you were totally right, i need to reduce them, at least at start...), did you enjoy it?

Thanks again, have a nice day!
10-08-2015, 11:01 AM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemalux View Post
Thanks, really thanks a lot Rogue.

You advice are really precious, they will be totally useful for a newbie developer like me. I will try to improve the game following each of your suggestion!

Actually, you gave me lot of things to look about, i really appreciated it!

If it is not too much to ask, have you any opinion / feedback? Even if you didn't finish it, and dialogues were too long (you were totally right, i need to reduce them, at least at start...), did you enjoy it?

Thanks again, have a nice day!
I found it had a lot of charm and an interesting retro style. I wandered around for a long time interacting with the world and people but just felt so lost and aimless. I went into the mud structure in the middle of town but didn't find anything that let me know what I should be doing. I think with some more direction given to the player this could be quite a nice game. I would be very open to playing a more design refined version of Peter and the Mysterious Mud.

Roguebox Studios
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Daily pics on our Instagram
10-11-2015, 08:34 AM
#10
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I found it had a lot of charm and an interesting retro style. I wandered around for a long time interacting with the world and people but just felt so lost and aimless. I went into the mud structure in the middle of town but didn't find anything that let me know what I should be doing. I think with some more direction given to the player this could be quite a nice game. I would be very open to playing a more design refined version of Peter and the Mysterious Mud.
I already got that input from someone else, and i am deeply thinking about it. ^^ A better version with all the improvements you listed (and other changes) with a deeper story and a better difficult scaling (the game was made for the contest in a 1-hour playable way, so it was like a rush through fights).
I am really sorry you got lost following the story, i thought it was clear, but surely my mistake was in placing indication through those long/boring dialogues... However, if you want to go on with the storyline, next location to visit is always reported in guide section (main menu - diary/paper icon) besides the end of dialogue, so (even if not properly show, i must admit it...) it is always available for the player.
To guide you through first part, the story starts at the orange house and then go on in mine. If you want to go on, just keep an eye about the icon showed in dialogues, it is the clue about next location.

Thanks again for your time, i really appreciated it.

Last edited by Kaemalux; 10-11-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Mistakes