★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is there a price "threshhold" for when you buy premium games?

09-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Is there a price "threshhold" for when you buy premium games?

In general, I kind of clump games, price-wise, into either "payed" or "free". When I look for something free, I look for something accessible and easy to pass some minutes with. But when I look for a premium game, I'm looking for a premium experience that provides something to sink my teeth into.

So for myself, when I make the conscious decision to look for a premium game, I find that whether it's a $5 game or 99-cent game, I kind of expect the experience to be the same. It doesn't really matter what price it is, because in the end I'm just looking for something that's not a "free" game. For me, the difference between a 99-cent game and a $5 game isn't as significant as the difference between a premium game and "free" game.

So my question is, does anybody else feel like this occasionally? That the pricing of a premium game doesn't matter as much as the fact that it's not a "free" -style game?
09-29-2015, 05:02 AM
Can't see myself buying a game with a price tag higher than 5. Many games might actually be worth much more than that but i'ts just seems like a too much of a risk.

09-29-2015, 05:14 AM
I don't really care if I'm getting the same amount of gameplay from a game that's $0.99 or $30 dollars. If something interests me, I'll buy it regardless of price.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
09-29-2015, 07:09 AM
I've taken note of my attitude and it seems to me:

9.99 is my limit for a developer I've never heard of.
The sky is the limit for games / devs I'm a fan of.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
09-29-2015, 08:19 AM
This discussion won't even be necessary within a couple of years. Premium games cannot survive in the the world that Apple has created. It's not fiscally smart for large companies to keep up with the ever changing OS upgraded that are becoming more and more of a requirement for some games. How can we ask a small team of indie devs to keep their games functional during the inevitable OS 10 upgrade in 2 years when giants like Square and Konami don't see it as worthwhile.

I guess the better question at that time will be how much are you willing to spend on micro transactions...

I'm onery at the whole MHFU and Bioshock debacle, and it will continue to happen. 2k has made good on it for now, but at any time Apple can and will break another game(s) with an update.

I blame my negativity on 5 straight days of rain
09-29-2015, 04:05 PM
$5 is my limit, but that is only for a game that is really special. I think the last time I went that high was forgo Oceanhorn - and that was money well spent. For the most part I don't go above $3
09-29-2015, 06:28 PM
I only play premium games and I am willing to pay what a game is worth in other words if I want it, I buy it. if sivad is right pretty soon us premium only gamers are screwed.
09-29-2015, 06:44 PM
For me the price matters. The higher the price the better the game needs to be. Many times I can get excellent games for free.
09-29-2015, 06:48 PM
I just go for a non free game if someone that I know show me that the paid one is worth.
09-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivad View Post
I blame my negativity on 5 straight days of rain
But it's negativity based on facts, so you're all good.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword