★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Star Nomad 2, tactical squad space trader/combat sim w/ conquest & random encounters

10-02-2015, 05:58 AM
Star Nomad 2: Spacesim + Mount & Blade + FTL Mix!

Updated 05/02/2016

G'day, I am the developer of Star Nomad 2, an open world space sandbox with dynamic faction conquest and random encounters.

It's a full blown space trader & combat sim of PC-quality, I am currently in the process of porting to iOS. So far it's going really well and it runs great on the iPhone 6 Plus & iPad Mini 2, which are the target devices due to the screen-size requirements.

It's currently available on Steam @ http://store.steampowered.com/app/414950

About the game & features:

Set in a dynamic open-world sandbox with an evolving conflict between three major splinter groups of humanity, players can freely be merchants, bounty hunters, pirates, miners, smugglers or wanderers.

Your actions or in-actions, big or small carry consequences that are noticed by the inhabitants and factions. Empires will rise and fall, take a side, or sow the seeds of anarchy.

Be immersed in a universe that's alive with random events offering pilots an opportunity for exploitation. Be involved in dynamic economies with logistical supply & demand at the mercy of a capitalistic merchant or a menacing pirate.

Be the catalyst to decide the fate of humanity.

Features:

* Squad RPG progression via skills & perks, upgrades & modules.

* Deep trade system with dynamic supply & demand, affected by events, piracy & conflict.

* Fluid real-time combat with tactical pause & a wide variety of weapons.

* Resource gathering to upgrade to higher tier modules and looting of combat kills.

* Factions will conquer & defend systems with fleet movements. Your actions, big or small, have a major effect on the tide of conquest!

* Random events offer opportunities and also ensure no two game plays out the same.

* Random encounters offer interesting side-quests or tough choices with major consequences.

* Many classes of ships offer different tactical possibilities, including Carriers!

* Clever enemies that fly their vessels to abuse their strengths.

* Challenging, but fair Rogue-like-esque gameplay.

Thanks and if there's any questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'll try my best to respond to them all.

Last edited by AH_Phan; 02-05-2016 at 03:40 AM.
10-02-2015, 07:21 AM
Nice to see you are still alive and kicking!
Curious to see how SN2 turns out, good luck with Steam!

10-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Nice to see you are still alive and kicking!
Curious to see how SN2 turns out, good luck with Steam!
Hey, good to see you too!

I'll be alive and kicking for as long as I can remain being a gamedev.
10-09-2015, 09:05 AM
instabuy for me!!!
10-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks Skylez.

Just to note, the game on iOS will be a paid app. Buy once, no IAPs.
10-09-2015, 08:25 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game.
10-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
I'm really looking forward to this game.
There is no iOS title I look forward to more, and only one or two handfuls as much (Antihero, Starbase Orion 2, a possible port of Sunless Sea, etc).

Given that I as of recently don't own a computer anymore and now rely on my iPhone as my sole computing and communications device, and therefore can't play any of the greats on the horizon (Horizon update for Elite, Shadows expansion for Endless Legend, Overwatch, Battleborn, Fallout 4)... I suppose Star Nomad 2 is one of a few games I look forward most to in the world

EDIT: AH Phan, just to up the ante and add some additional pressure to the process, I expect SN2 to finally lay to rest my one persistent iOS grievance (apart from that I don't have a full version of Civ with async multiplayer in my pocket. Madness!): that we'll never see a port of the EVO Nova/the Escape Velocity engine

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 10-10-2015 at 09:05 PM.
10-11-2015, 01:38 AM
@Ayjona
Is it an iPhone 6 Plus?

My biggest worry with porting is the UI is designed strictly for PC without pre-planning for mobiles and making it great/functional for mobile devices will be challenging.

Also, thank you for the kind words of encouragement, I hope Star Nomad 2 wont disappoint.

http://indieruckus.com/ just did an interview with me for an article.

One of the question was: "What do you feel are the biggest reasons your past games haven't "broken through"?"

And I responded: "..the simplest answer is because they aren't great games. At best they are OK/good (for mobiles). Star Nomad for mobiles, I would rate it a 7/10. For PC, 5/10."

When I set out with Star Nomad 2, I was aiming squarely at a 8 or above out of 10 for PC quality of this genre.
10-14-2015, 12:41 AM
I had someone on Reddit told me that it looks just like any other top-down space shooter... at first, I was taken back, not knowing how to respond. After running through the feature list in my head that differentiates this game from the likes of SPAZ, Drox Operative, Starsector and former classics like Escape Velocity and Star Control..

It hit to me that I am doing a terrible job at selling it (it's a common flaw for small-time devs).

No, this isn't just another top down space shooter!

It's a Spacesim + Mount & Blade + FTL mix (all the games that I love playing) that blends great gameplay elements together seamlessly into a fluid experience where combat is fun, rewarding, trade and smuggling matters and make a difference..

10-19-2015, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH_Phan View Post
I had someone on Reddit told me that it looks just like any other top-down space shooter... at first, I was taken back, not knowing how to respond. After running through the feature list in my head that differentiates this game from the likes of SPAZ, Drox Operative, Starsector and former classics like Escape Velocity and Star Control..

It hit to me that I am doing a terrible job at selling it (it's a common flaw for small-time devs).

No, this isn't just another top down space shooter!

It's a Spacesim + Mount & Blade + FTL mix (all the games that I love playing) that blends great gameplay elements together seamlessly into a fluid experience where combat is fun, rewarding, trade and smuggling matters and make a difference..

I immensely joined the first nomads, art, and quirkiness! Here's hoping nomad 2 is successful for you, can't wait to see what this looks like and the things you can do in this game. Good luck brother!

Devs I love supporting:
AH_Phan, WaveLightGames, Voncarp, ToonuvaGames, Dr_Nachin, Ryan Mitchell