Beat em up games for mobile

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Migoi Studios, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Migoi Studios

Migoi Studios Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Hey folks,

Our team is working on some prototypes and one of them happens to be a beat em up game. Is this a good genre to work with on mobile devices? Kindly let us know your thoughts on this

2. sekodev

sekodev Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Game Developer
    Turkey
    Well, I don't know about sales numbers etc. but I'm always up for a good beat'em up game. I've played Kung Fury for some time and it was really fun. If you can pull off the controls, I think that should work out.

3. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think beat-em ups are an awesome game genre. I am not sure they work very well on mobiles though but I feel the reason is that nobody has really cracked the mobile control system. Everyone seems to do virtual thumbsticks and buttons. I guess games like Infinity Blade work as a type of beat-em up but I would love to see something closer to the original genre that has controls better suited to mobile.

4. Ed Cardoso

Ed Cardoso Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I'm actually developing a beat'em up for mobile as well as PC. It has a little different approach than your usual brawler, though. I also tried some different controls for mobile version, experimenting with tap and swipe, but so far the results weren't that great, so I'm seriously thinking of sticking with the old virtual joy pad indeed.