★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Get ready for a retro challenge in Jump Jack: an action platformer reminiscent of 2d side scrolling classics. Play as Jack, the game creators son, as he sets out to save his baby sister from the evil robots who have kidnapped her. Jump, shoot, and use a number of other abilities to maneuver through four action packed worlds and destroy any robot trash that get in your way. Simple and straightforward controls make for precise and strategic platforming action. This is not an endless runner, Jump Jacks story unfolds from an opening cutscene all the way to an epic final boss battle. Along the way build some insanely fun combos to earn high scores, power ups, and level achievements. Can you destroy all the robots in each level in a single combo? Collecting combos is way more fun than collecting coins in Jump Jacks combo system that is unlike any other platformer. Top it off with achievements, online leaderboards, unlockable nightmare levels, and multiple difficulty levels and youve got yourself a classic platforming experience that will keep you busy for hours.

Do you have what it takes to save your sister from these evil robots? See for yourself in Jump Jack.

Features:

-A retro challenge reminiscent of platforming classics.
-Precise and straightforward touch controls that make for an action packed, strategic platforming experience.
-Insanely fun combo system unlike any other platformer. String together actions for high scores, level achievements, and power ups.
-Three difficulty modes: Normal, Retro Hard, and Casual Easy (Something for everyone).
-An epic adventure played throughout 20 levels across 4 worlds and an intense final boss.
-Unlockable levels in Jacks Nightmare for the most hardcore gamers.
-Gamecenter leaderboards and achievements.

Check out the live action trailer at rossmanbrosgames.com
Follow us on twitter: @RossmanBros

Eli's comments:

Jump Jack

Rossman Bros Games LLC
Genres: Games Adventure Action
GAME CENTER ENABLED
$1.29 NZD


Quote:
Get ready for a retro challenge in Jump Jack: an action platformer reminiscent of 2d side scrolling classics. Play as Jack, the game creators son, as he sets out to save his baby sister from the evil robots who have kidnapped her. Jump, shoot, and use a number of other abilities to maneuver through four action packed worlds and destroy any robot trash that get in your way. Simple and straightforward controls make for precise and strategic platforming action. This is not an endless runner, Jump Jacks story unfolds from an opening cutscene all the way to an epic final boss battle. Along the way build some insanely fun combos to earn high scores, power ups, and level achievements. Can you destroy all the robots in each level in a single combo? Collecting combos is way more fun than collecting coins in Jump Jacks combo system that is unlike any other platformer. Top it off with achievements, online leaderboards, unlockable nightmare levels, and multiple difficulty levels and youve got yourself a classic platforming experience that will keep you busy for hours.

Do you have what it takes to save your sister from these evil robots? See for yourself in Jump Jack.

Features:

-A retro challenge reminiscent of platforming classics.
-Precise and straightforward touch controls that make for an action packed, strategic platforming experience.
-Insanely fun combo system unlike any other platformer. String together actions for high scores, level achievements, and power ups.
-Three difficulty modes: Normal, Retro Hard, and Casual Easy (Something for everyone).
-An epic adventure played throughout 20 levels across 4 worlds and an intense final boss.
-Unlockable levels in Jacks Nightmare for the most hardcore gamers.
-Gamecenter leaderboards and achievements.

Check out the live action trailer at rossmanbrosgames.com
Follow us on twitter: @RossmanBros










Supported Devices:
  • iPhone-3GS
  • iPhone4
  • iPodTouchFourthGen
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G
  • iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPhone5
  • iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G
  • iPhone5c
  • iPhone5s
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPodTouchSixthGen

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 6.0

Download Size: 45MB

10-07-2015, 10:32 AM
#2
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,673
Had the chance of playing this pre-release and I have to congratulate Eric, the developer. His kids are probably going to end up being the coolest kids in school, and he should definitely be given a "Dad of the Century" award. I mean, it's cool for your dad to make a game...but a game about YOU? MIND = BLOWN.

For what the game lacks in graphics, it makes up in pretty much everything else. The controls are super-tight, there's so much more depth to them than you'd think by just looking at them (sprinting ala Kidd Trip, shooting, blocking and the super jump). The level design is extremely well thought-out, with great little surprises popping up every now and then and they just have this flow to them, that again, harkens back to the days I was pulling out my beard with Kidd Tripp (which I consider one of the best games on anything, tbh). The combo system is an awesome, completely fresh concept and a possible game changer (even though I'll never muster enough courage to play the game on anything but Casual since Retro Hard efficiently stuck my tail between my legs for life) and the game oozes heart from the moment the opening cutscene starts.

I'm really, really digging this and I hope Jump Jack ends up being a fairy tale story like Cally's Caves, where the series advanced in such a way that the graphics one day became just as good as the gameplay. Who knows, perhaps Jump Jack sees a sequel, or this game one day down the line gets a graphical update. It's not in need of one mind you, but that would just elevate the game a couple of hundred notches and make it an essential title.

I also love how Casual is essentially just a practice mode and you NEED to play on Normal and Hard to unlock leaderboards and the Nightmare mode.

Oh, and how could I forget? The music is BRILLIANT. Hell, I'd consider the 3rd stage music some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.

For a buck and the amount of heart the game has? No brainer.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

10-07-2015, 11:29 AM
#3
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 814
Thanks MC. I almost overlooked this one until I read your endorsement. I'll be getting this tonight for sure.
10-07-2015, 11:34 AM
#4
10-07-2015, 12:25 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 57
I must add that this game is definitely a platformer to look out for tonight. I was also fortunate enough to beta test it and can say you won't be disappointed, especially if you love a good ol' retro experience. Best of luck with this Eric!
10-07-2015, 12:46 PM
#6
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,827
If my friend MetalCasket endorses something. I buy it.

I can't wait to play this tonight!

Billy
10-07-2015, 03:11 PM
#7
Awesome impressions as usual, metalcasket. I too had the opportunity to beta test this from the very start, but haven't played the finished version. I'm really looking forward to that.

Eric reached out to me via Twitter months ago, and through Twitter DMs and emails, I've had the pleasure of getting to know him as a person (as much as you can through messaging). He's been nothing but kind spirited, and very passionate about Jump Jack. This will be the first purchase of my evening/morning and I'll continue to support the RossmanBros until they stop game dev.

MC summed up the gameplay very well. It's a fast, runner/platformer that requires skill and muscle memory to master. The shooting, shielding, and jumping mechanics separate Jump Jack from your everyday runner/shooter/platformer, adding personality and a sense of "this dev wanted to make a game for gamers, not just to make money". And that alone is worth my time and money any day of the week.
10-07-2015, 03:13 PM
#8
Hey everyone! Thanks for the interest in our game. Let me know if you have any questions. Thought I would post some gameplay videos.

UPDATE: LIVE ACTION RELEASE TRAILER (filmed with my son Jack, was a blast to make, hope you like it) Thought we would share it with the Touch Arcade community before anywhere else!



And here is a video showing off the combo system:

ROSSMANBROSGAMES.COM
DOWNLOAD JUMP JACK ON iOS
New Project in the works (Love to hear your thoughts)
Twitter: @rossmanbros @rossman_eric

Last edited by RossmanBrothersGames; 10-07-2015 at 10:33 PM.
10-07-2015, 03:17 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Had the chance of playing this pre-release and I have to congratulate Eric, the developer. His kids are probably going to end up being the coolest kids in school, and he should definitely be given a "Dad of the Century" award. I mean, it's cool for your dad to make a game...but a game about YOU? MIND = BLOWN.
Thanks so much for the kind words! And lovely feedback! I love your passion for games and glad you are enjoying ours!

Also Supafly and Anotherkellydown, has been a blast to get to know you guys, and thanks for testing for us! Appreciate the support and comments. Making this game has introduced me to a lot of cool people: devs, gamers, and writers. It has been awesome!

Also thanks everyone else for commenting and looking forward to the release! Can't wait for people to start playing it, you're in for a fun retro challenge.

ROSSMANBROSGAMES.COM
DOWNLOAD JUMP JACK ON iOS
New Project in the works (Love to hear your thoughts)
Twitter: @rossmanbros @rossman_eric
10-07-2015, 03:22 PM
#10
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossmanBrothersGames View Post
Thanks so much for the kind words! And lovely feedback! I love your passion for games and glad you are enjoying ours!
There's honestly nothing more that I enjoy than playing a game made by people with passion. AKD was spot on when he said "a game for gamers".

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"