★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Should I be embarrassed for releasing this game?

10-10-2015, 02:06 AM
Should I be embarrassed for releasing this game?

I released this as a free game last year. It never gets any downloads, so I don't even know about what kind of feedback it would get.

This is a bullet hell shooter, a genre that doesn't appear to have a large fanbase. It's my very first completed iOS game that actually made it onto the app store. When I first wrote this game, I only had an iPod Touch 1st Gen, so it predated many features and requirements for modern day apps. When writing my first iOS apps, I was homeless and couldn't afford a modern iOS device. The iPod Touch was something I found on eBay for dirt cheap, and the MacPro I had was given to me by someone else because it was broken so I could fix it.

So, it crashes when it goes into the background, and when playing it on a device with iOS7 or above, you may experience issues with sound disappearing. I've fixed these, but haven't uploaded the latest build yet (I haven't touched this game in a long time). There's probably other things I might have missed. Since I don't have an iPhone 6 series device, I don't know how it looks or if it plays correctly.

For those who want to try it, feel free to do so. Oh, and one more hint. If you do play it, you should go to options and change the colour of enemy shots to make them easier to see. I should have set the colour to violet by default.

Any feedback is welcome (you can even tell me it sucks). My goal is to make better games, and there's nothing you could possibly do to hurt my feelings or make me mad, so do your worst. Thanks.

Shogun.
10-10-2015, 04:14 AM
It's alright, I don't see why you should be ashamed.
Keep trying and you will only get better.

P.S. Congrats on your first game

10-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Its all relative my friend... But if it was mine, I wouldn't release it.

Congrats as well, now make something even greater

Making apps and taking naps since 2013. Protect the sloths and the environment.

Our hottest game: King Rabbit

Our flagship game: Furdemption

twitter | website | facebook
10-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Is it supposed to be a pure bullet storm game?

I don't really see any bosses or targets to shoot.
10-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunny View Post
Is it supposed to be a pure bullet storm game?

I don't really see any bosses or targets to shoot.
Yeah, that's the gist of it. Progressive difficulty and continuous action until you die 3 times.

It was primarily a game I wrote to say "I wrote an iOS app".

Shogun
10-10-2015, 05:28 PM
The only thing you should be embarassed about is having a fix for the bugs and not having released it

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
10-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
The only thing you should be embarassed about is having a fix for the bugs and not having released it
I'm waiting on validation in itunes connect right now.

Shogun.
10-11-2015, 03:56 AM
I think everyone looks back on some of their older work and is dissatisfied. I look at projects I did 10 years ago and groan "oh man I sucked". It is all growth. Regardless, just getting something finished and in the app store is something to be proud of, even if the product is not as great as you wanted it to be.

Roguebox Studios
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Daily pics on our Instagram
10-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshogun96 View Post
This is a bullet hell shooter, a genre that doesn't appear to have a large fanbase.

Also uncool that your Awesome Creation does'nt get more light.

What can we do about it? For yours too, I have suggested to others especially for this genre to try Everyplay &/or Kamcord to get their heArtworks outthere to the iOS masses. Now with ReplayKit that should help too.
i had a cool headnod to Cyber Rainforce Niiiiiiiiiice
🎉CONGRATULATIONS🎉
On this being your first iOS V V V V Video(ahem, please excuse me. I'm juz finishing a Mad Max marathon) game. Thank You for the update

Last edited by 7lilwhitewolf7; 10-21-2015 at 08:55 AM.
10-22-2015, 10:01 AM
The only reason you should be embarrassed for the game is if you had 2 million dollars to make it

HOBO Games, Jakarta, Indonesia
Upcoming game: Oonyoo: Slide Puzzle Run