★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why should you release game for iOS first?

10-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Why should you release game for iOS first?

Hello fellow strugglers,

These questions have probably already been asked a thousand times but I couldn't find the answer so here it goes

Is releasing a game on iOS and Android on the same day a good idea? What are the advantages/ disadvantages?
Why do some developers release on iOS first? Is it purely because of development/ testing time?

David | @DakidoMedia
10-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Apple might be more likely to feature your app if you're exclusive iOS.

Making apps and taking naps since 2013. Protect the sloths and the environment.

Our hottest game: King Rabbit

Our flagship game: Furdemption

twitter | website | facebook

10-12-2015, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareSloth View Post
Hi RareSloth, I've heard that before but is that actually true? Is there any evidence to support this?
10-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Don_13 View Post
Hi RareSloth, I've heard that before but is that actually true? Is there any evidence to support this?
No one knows exactly how much Apple weighs what in their decisions... But I've seen this written in many blog posts if you do some searching.

Furdemption is iOS exclusive and we were featured, but that's anecdotal.

Think of Apple as a business and ask yourself what you feel they're most likely to do. If they see a really awesome game that is iOS exclusive, it makes sense to highlight these products! Their goal is to make money and sell iPhones that have access to these "exclusive" apps.

10-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Furdemption is iOS exclusive and we were featured, but that's anecdotal.
I know this is unrelated to my original question but have you written any post-mortem articles about Furdemption's success? I bought your game when it was just released and loved it! Did Apple contact you before featuring your game? What kind of impact did it have on your overall sales? I'd love to know more about your release! Congrats on making a great game btw!
10-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Quote:
I know this is unrelated to my original question but have you written any post-mortem articles about Furdemption's success? I bought your game when it was just released and loved it! Did Apple contact you before featuring your game? What kind of impact did it have on your overall sales? I'd love to know more about your release! Congrats on making a great game btw!
Thank you for the kind words! We don't have a post-mortem, but here are some sales statistics: http://www.raresloth.com/business/pr...es-statistics/

They don't contact you unless you get a big feature that needs special art assets. Features are "THE" impact on sales.

Cheers,
Brian

10-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words! We don't have a post-mortem, but here are some sales statistics: http://www.raresloth.com/business/pr...es-statistics/

They don't contact you unless you get a big feature that needs special art assets. Features are "THE" impact on sales.

Cheers,
Brian
Thank you! I just had a look at your stats. It's great to see an Indie Dev doing so well. Now that you have been featured already, why don't you build an Android version?
10-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Thank you! I just had a look at your stats. It's great to see an Indie Dev doing so well. Now that you have been featured already, why don't you build an Android version?
Its a big time commitment to port over to Unity from Cocos2D... Right now we're working on the level editor for Furdemption and its going to be awesomesauce!

10-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Just my two cents...

I think becos Apple are more globally standardised where as Android have to be dependant on countries.
For e.g. you will probably need a publisher for your Android game for countries like China and Japan as Google play don't really work there and they have their own appstores...

Secondly, like most of the comments, GooglePlay is still a little messy now and don't have feature for new games and top downloads...

lastly it will take more time to debug for Android due to the number of phone types and OS available.. can be quite a headache!

10-14-2015, 03:31 AM
Quote:
My contact in apple advised me this isn't the case and they don't even check.

I imagine this only works for blockbuster games which they think can move phone sales like when star wars commander released.

Totes agree on android, it is impossible to get enough test devices to make it 100% bug free on a wide range of devices. My shelf is full of devices and I still struggle.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8