★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (Rocketcat Games)

10-13-2015, 12:32 PM
#1
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,834
Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (Rocketcat Games)

Click image for larger version

Name:	4inch6.png
Views:	52
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	94834Click image for larger version

Name:	4inch5.png
Views:	33
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	94835Click image for larger version

Name:	4inch4.png
Views:	24
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	94836Click image for larger version

Name:	4inch3.png
Views:	29
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	94837Click image for larger version

Name:	4inch2.png
Views:	27
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	94838Click image for larger version

Name:	4inch1.png
Views:	24
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	94839

Hello! I'm launching a new game soon, named Five Card Quest. This is a new genre for us, the game is my take on the turn based tactical RPG. You're fighting through a dungeon with randomized battles, and you're telling your heroes what to moves to do by playing one of the five action cards in your hand.

Besides doing damage, your action cards can change your characters positions, interrupt or block incoming enemy attacks, apply debuffs, and more. What characters you have in your party determines your possible cards. There are even cards that also let you drop a couple unwanted cards out of your hand, in hopes of drawing a better move.

Like you can expect from our games, it's really challenging. The battles are random, and every move you do matters. Since both your characters and the enemies do so much damage, preventing incoming damage is really important. You can see enemy attacks coming, so you have time to deal with them. Everything is also pretty deterministic, there's no chance-to-miss and all attacks do a predictable value for damage.

Here's a short preview video, I'll probably make another video on the release of the game:



I'd like to do more story-focused RPGs based on this one if people like it enough. This game's mostly about the tactics inside and strategy outside the fights.

We don't have an exact release date yet, but it's likely to be out within a month.

I'll be here to answer questions!

RocketCat Games: Creators of Death Road to Canada, Wayward Souls, Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Hook Champ
Check out our new game Death Road to Canada at http://www.deathroadtocanada.com
@rocketcatgames on Twitter
10-13-2015, 12:40 PM
#2
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,005
This looks pretty cool I like the art style for sure gl.

10-13-2015, 12:47 PM
#3
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmint View Post
This looks pretty cool I like the art style for sure gl.
Thanks! Yeah, we're trying something different with it.

RocketCat Games: Creators of Death Road to Canada, Wayward Souls, Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Hook Champ
Check out our new game Death Road to Canada at http://www.deathroadtocanada.com
@rocketcatgames on Twitter
10-13-2015, 12:51 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: EST/EDT
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepa View Post
Attachment 94834Attachment 94835Attachment 94836Attachment 94837Attachment 94838Attachment 94839

Hello! I'm launching a new game soon, named Five Card Quest. This is a new genre for us, the game is my take on the turn based tactical RPG. You're fighting through a dungeon with randomized battles, and you're telling your heroes what to moves to do by playing one of the five action cards in your hand.

[snip]

I'll be here to answer questions!
Looks fantastic. Could you describe how you ended up with the art style, which differs substantially from that of previous Rocketcat Games?

Also, how is the dungeon portion going to work? It seems all of the screens and videos only show tactical combat.

Finally, premium?
10-13-2015, 01:02 PM
#5
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x16 View Post
Looks fantastic. Could you describe how you ended up with the art style, which differs substantially from that of previous Rocketcat Games?

Also, how is the dungeon portion going to work? It seems all of the screens and videos only show tactical combat.

Finally, premium?
I've always been really interested in this kind of low-poly style, ever since Out of This World. It's also inspired by the more recent Nightmare Cooperative. It's vector art that resembles 3D art.

The dungeon works like the iPhone home screen. It's a map of rooms you can swipe on to scroll, and you reveal more rooms as you fight through battles. You tap on a room to look at what's inside. You can even see what enemies are in a room before you enter the fight.

Premium, $3, no IAP.

RocketCat Games: Creators of Death Road to Canada, Wayward Souls, Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Hook Champ
Check out our new game Death Road to Canada at http://www.deathroadtocanada.com
@rocketcatgames on Twitter
10-13-2015, 01:33 PM
#6
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepa View Post
I've always been really interested in this kind of low-poly style, ever since Out of This World. It's also inspired by the more recent Nightmare Cooperative. It's vector art that resembles 3D art.

The dungeon works like the iPhone home screen. It's a map of rooms you can swipe on to scroll, and you reveal more rooms as you fight through battles. You tap on a room to look at what's inside. You can even see what enemies are in a room before you enter the fight.

Premium, $3, no IAP.
excited to try this one... Nightmare Cooperative was a great game! I've never been unsatisfied with a RocketCat game... just promise me you are working your butts off to make sure DRTC is coming to iOS!
10-13-2015, 01:35 PM
#7
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue rocket View Post
excited to try this one... Nightmare Cooperative was a great game! I've never been unsatisfied with a RocketCat game... just promise me you are working your butts off to make sure DRTC is coming to iOS!
Nightmare Cooperate was really good.

Death Road to Canada is a similar engine to the one used to make Punch Quest, so it should be easy to get it on iOS. We just need to figure out the menus and so on.

RocketCat Games: Creators of Death Road to Canada, Wayward Souls, Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Hook Champ
Check out our new game Death Road to Canada at http://www.deathroadtocanada.com
@rocketcatgames on Twitter
10-13-2015, 01:56 PM
#8
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,963
Nice!

Looking forward to this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
10-13-2015, 02:00 PM
#9
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,564
This looks great. I can't wait to try it.

Follow me at @bitGamerX for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.
10-13-2015, 02:13 PM
#10
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 122
I'll instabuy anything Rocket Cat puts out for sure