★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Are Tower Defense Games Easy To Code Or Something?

12-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Are Tower Defense Games Easy To Code Or Something?

Why are there so many? Are TD games just so ball-squeezing fun that there has to be so many versions? Are they trying to outnumber the number of sauces made by Heinz? Are they really easy to code?

I am confused
12-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Nah - if you think about it, Square Enix (if the new Crystal Defenders game was the cause of this thread) have struck a winning business formula.

First of all, this is the main reason for so many Castle Defense games, is that they are extremely popular. In my school, at lunchtimes, the only game people play are the CD ones. Also, judging by the huge sales of the free Tower Defense game that is already out on the iPhone, it is a hit with the owners of the handheld.

Most developers would have stopped by now, and Tower Defense games are probably as hard to make as any other. But Square Enix had to add Final Fantasy. You can't disagree here, FF games have probably the biggest fan base for any sort of game, so they would be intrigued about this new Crystal Defenders game. Also, people not within the fanbase who had a good time with FFTA2 would be interested with the similarities with this new game and the DS one.

The fatal flaw Square did was release a Lite. Yes, it may make some people buy the game, but what about the nsuspecting people who just were in it because of the Final Fantasy references? They would have bought the paid version instantly, but because of the Free Lite demo they may have been scared away by it.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3

12-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Couple of reasons why we did 7 Cities:

-we love Tower Defense. We are huge fans from the Starcraft / Warcraft days. Don't believe me? Check this out: http://td.trueshot.net/
It's a Tower Defense mod for UT2004 that we did in 2004.

-we started on 7 Cities on August 1st, before there was any TD game on the market. We were initially supposed to finish by September, and could have beaten Fieldrunners had we not decided to go for depth and great gameplay. Some might say thats our biggest mistake, but I don't have any regrets for making something that I love as good as can be.

-we wanted to take the core gameplay and make it different. Just ask anyone who has played our game. It is not vanilla TD. It is quite different.

-our game was definetely not easy to make. We spent about 4.5 months on it, working on it every day. I didn't get more than 5 hours of sleep each night, and no free weekends, since I had a full-time job as well. I almost fell asleep couple of times just walking to work.

I don't mean this to be a plug for our game, but it is a TD topic. I just want to share why we did TD. I love the genre, we still play the warcraft 3 maps like burbenog whenever we have time.

Last edited by Knight; 12-22-2008 at 07:24 AM.
12-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Couple of reasons why we did 7 Cities:

-we love Tower Defense. We are huge fans from the Starcraft / Warcraft days. Don't believe me? Check this out: http://td.trueshot.net/
It's a Tower Defense mod for UT2004 that we did in 2004.

-we started on 7 Cities on August 1st, before there was any TD game on the market. We were initially supposed to finish by September, and could have beaten Fieldrunners had we not decided to go for depth and great gameplay. Some might say thats our biggest mistake, but I don't have any regrets for making something that I love as good as can be.

-we wanted to take the core gameplay and make it different. Just ask anyone who has played our game. It is not vanilla TD. It is quite different.

-our game was definetely not easy to make. We spent about 4.5 months on it, working on it every day. I didn't get more than 5 hours of sleep each night, and no free weekends, since I had a full-time job as well. I almost fell asleep couple of times just walking to work.

I don't mean this to be a plug for our game, but it is a TD topic. I just want to share why we did TD. I love the genre, we still play the warcraft 3 maps like burbenog whenever we have time.
Cool - thanks for putting some light over this matter. It just seems that why get a game that costs $4.99 and get good gameplay than get a free TD game and, although lose some of the gameplay, get it for no money and put the money saved towards another game? Your thoughts on this?

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
12-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
Cool - thanks for putting some light over this matter. It just seems that why get a game that costs $4.99 and get good gameplay than get a free TD game and, although lose some of the gameplay, get it for no money and put the money saved towards another game? Your thoughts on this?
Ask those who have played 7 Cities. If the majority say Tap Defense is still better, then I will shut up.

You get what you pay for. Tap Defense has ads as well. Also by your logic, we should just make all games free?

Here is a question for you: how can a game with 1/10th the feature list sell millions of copies, while a game that has much more features and has been well-received by customers (just read the reviews on the App Store around the world) be thought as too expensive when both sell for the same price?
12-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Easy: I'll pay more for a better experience. It's as simple as that.

It's the same reason I use a Mac, even though I could get a "better" PC for less (no flame war, please, it's just that for me a Mac works better).

That's also why I don't like Fieldrunners. I don't think it's significantly better than the competition that charges the same or less, it actually offers less gameplay than most (my personal favorite is Besiegement, for the variety it offers, though I'm looking hard at 7 Cities).

Last edited by JClark; 12-22-2008 at 07:47 AM.
12-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Ask those who have played 7 Cities. If the majority say Tap Defense is still better, then I will shut up.

You get what you pay for. Tap Defense has ads as well. Also by your logic, we should just make all games free?

Here is a question for you: how can a game with 1/10th the feature list sell millions of copies, while a game that has much more features and has been well-received by customers (just read the reviews on the App Store around the world) be thought as too expensive when both sell for the same price?
I wasn't complaining - I recently bought 7 cities myself and think it is far superior to Tap Defense. It's just because of the App Store and the fact games can be free, I was curious how developers like you think about free games and how they effect sales.

Another question - how do you developers decide on the price of your games? Do you take work hours and such into account, or do you base it around the 'opposition' games of the same genre, and their pricing tied with their gameplay?

12-22-2008, 08:31 AM
I believe that it was Frand (developer of SPiN) who said that they had a price in mind, but when the game was finished the app store changed so much that they had to change their price as well. I think a lot of it is based on the market.

Those who started developing with a $10-20 pricetag in mind may have to cut their price in half (or more!) and simply hope that their game will sell enough to pay back for the time/effort put into it.

Stefan
12-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
I wasn't complaining - I recently bought 7 cities myself and think it is far superior to Tap Defense. It's just because of the App Store and the fact games can be free, I was curious how developers like you think about free games and how they effect sales.

Another question - how do you developers decide on the price of your games? Do you take work hours and such into account, or do you base it around the 'opposition' games of the same genre, and their pricing tied with their gameplay?
Nah, I didn't mean to imply that you were complaining or anything. Rather, it was a point towards the general App Store customers in general. I think we developers have long screwed ourselves in terms of pricing our apps, so now we are paying dearly for it. And its partly Apple's fault for having such a broken way to list apps on the store. But it is still early to make that call though. Maybe we will get featured

Thanks for buying 7 Cities, I hope you enjoy it.

As for pricing our app, we decided it based on both our feature list, and what the competitors had, and then had to sell it for a lower sale price just to get visibility. But due to the way the App Store is, and the fact that other developers are lowering their prices just to get on the Top 100, we might not be able to take a serious approach to this market for our future projects as we thought we could before we started. Currently, I make more money from my full-time job than off the App Store.

Last edited by Knight; 12-22-2008 at 09:18 AM.
12-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Nah, I didn't mean to imply that you were complaining or anything. Rather, it was a point towards the general App Store customers in general. I think we developers have long screwed ourselves in terms of pricing our apps, so now we are paying dearly for it. And its partly Apple's fault for having such a broken way to list apps on the store. But it is still early to make that call though. Maybe we will get featured

Thanks for buying 7 Cities, I hope you enjoy it.

As for pricing our app, we decided it based on both our feature list, and what the competitors had, and then had to sell it for a lower sale price just to get visibility. But due to the way the App Store is, and the fact that other developers are lowering their prices just to get on the Top 100, we might not be able to take a serious approach to this market for our future projects as we thought we could before we started. Currently, I make more money from my full-time job than off the App Store.
Yeah, I understand now! The App Store is a bit of a mess because of how it lists apps, so I hope you do get featured!

Also, I am playing 7 Cities now, and am really liking it and yeah, I did get what I payed for and possibly more. Also I have to comment on the polish it has - a lot better than that of Tap defense.