★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

hardcore RPGs, a la Baldur's Gate?

09-28-2009, 10:43 AM
hardcore RPGs, a la Baldur's Gate?

I loved BG/BG2 on my Mac. I really want something like it for iPhone. Not a Diablo-esque action-heavy game or Japanese-style game like Zenonia, but a story-heavy, strategic combat, D&D-inspired game with (preferably) hand-drawn environments.

Is there anything like this out now, or anything announced that fits this description? I saw Ravensword and, though not strictly like BG, it seems like the best bet, and it's coming out this Fall.

So, what else?
09-28-2009, 10:46 AM
nope, and it might be awhile until we see any

09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
I loved BG/BG2 on my Mac. I really want something like it for iPhone. Not a Diablo-esque action-heavy game or Japanese-style game like Zenonia, but a story-heavy, strategic combat, D&D-inspired game with (preferably) hand-drawn environments.

Is there anything like this out now, or anything announced that fits this description? I saw Ravensword and, though not strictly like BG, it seems like the best bet, and it's coming out this Fall.

So, what else?
I have the very same 'need', still unfulfilled byt the current App Store offering.
Closest things I played and had fun were Underworlds and Dungeon Hunter.
Ravensword seems good, but more on the Oblivion side than BG (the other ones I cited were on the Diablo side).

Still waiting...
09-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Would be nice, eh? I ended up listening to the "Icewind Dale" soundtrack twice last week to sort of replace the lack of such a game on the device.
09-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Would be nice, eh? I ended up listening to the "Icewind Dale" soundtrack twice last week to sort of replace the lack of such a game on the device.
Curious that you mention it.
Last week I reinstalled it to have another playthrough with a friend of mine.
We're loving any minutes im The Spine as the first time.

It could imho PERFECTLY reproduced (even enhanced) on the iPhone.
Other candidates are Ultima 7 or Temple of Elemental Evil.

I just hope to see an invasion of WRPG in the App Store after the JRPG (albeit imho very low on quality) one.
09-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post

So, what else?
The Quest?
09-28-2009, 01:46 PM
But screen size would be a problem, the UI had to be perfectly designed, or much simplified.
09-28-2009, 02:36 PM
yeah - the quest is the best hardcore rpg on the iphone so far. when all the expansions are release there will be close to 5,000,000 hours of game play i think.....
09-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donner View Post
yeah - the quest is the best hardcore rpg on the iphone so far. when all the expansions are release there will be close to 5,000,000 hours of game play i think.....
lmao.... more like 50 hours
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Gotta plug an oldie but a goodie, DragonBane II.

Betatesting Undercroft, which is totally awesome as well, much more like Eye of the Beholder, with a party, etc. Keep an eye out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 09-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.