★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Are Game Prices Too High For Some Games?

12-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Are Game Prices Too High For Some Games?

K - I live in the UK, in England, and I don't know about you, but anything above 5 (around $8) of something is an expensive purchase. Of course, many of the iPod Touch/iPhone games are rather cheap ranging at around $2/1, but I was browsing the App Store and saw i Love Katamari. It looks excellent because of the new patch, but at 5! I would buy it at first look, but 5 is a bit dear for a game that is mentioned to be slightly flawed.

Paying a sum of money for quality games isn't a problem - Rolando was bought by me instantly even at its high price, but that gamehas been said by everyone to be a classic. It's just - do you guys think that some games - looking at i Love Katamari and Crystal Defenders, that would normally be must-haves, are a bit overpriced?

(One last question - is Katamari worth getting, even for its premium price tag?)

~diffusion8r

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
12-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Yes. all games are completely overpriced. Who can
afford 8$ anymore!
I say they should all be free!

/sarcasm

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy

12-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Maybe in America, $8 is not much, but its UK equivalent is.

When I went to America, I bought Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 for the DS, for 35$.

Over here, in England, it is at 30, which roughly translates to:

44.4542 USD

We have to pay a lot more than you do for stuff, so the sarcasm isn't really needed.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
12-22-2008, 07:09 AM
How many god damn threads are there on this site about app store prices being too high or too low?

Hero of Sparta is 5.99, God of War on PSP is about 15 still, more than twice the price. If HoS was on PSP it would sell for at least 20, why should it sell for less on iPhone?

Rolando is also 5.99, LocoRoco 2 is also about 15 still.

I'd say you're getting some bargins!!!
12-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizy View Post
How many god damn threads are there on this site about app store prices being too high or too low?

Hero of Sparta is 5.99, God of War on PSP is about 15 still, more than twice the price. If HoS was on PSP it would sell for at least 20, why should it sell for less on iPhone?

Rolando is also 5.99, LocoRoco 2 is also about 15 still.

I'd say you're getting some bargins!!!
I know, the prices in relation to the PSP games is massive, it's just for some games which don't deserve a high price tag that should be lowered. Hero of Sparta is amazing for what you pay, I agree with you, but can you say the same about Pac Man, or i Love Katamari?

12-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
Maybe in America, $8 is not much, but its UK equivalent is.

When I went to America, I bought Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 for the DS, for 35$.

Over here, in England, it is at 30, which roughly translates to:

44.4542 USD

We have to pay a lot more than you do for stuff, so the sarcasm isn't really needed.
In the UK the national average salary is most likely higher to compensate for this. Also as GBP is so rubbish at the moment that doesn't help!

Quote:
I know, the prices in relation to the PSP games is massive, it's just for some games which don't deserve a high price tag that should be lowered. Hero of Sparta is amazing for what you pay, I agree with you, but can you say the same about Pac Man, or i Love Katamari?
OK, i see what you're saying now. I can't speak for Katamari or Pacman (neither of them interest me) but its something you have to decide really. The question is do you think the game is worth it. It doesn't matter if i think it is, because you could have a completely different idea of what you should be getting for your money.
12-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizy View Post
In the UK the national average salary is most likely higher to compensate for this. Also as GBP is so rubbish at the moment that doesn't help!

OK, i see what you're saying now. I can't speak for Katamari or Pacman (neither of them interest me) but its something you have to decide really. The question is do you think the game is worth it. It doesn't matter if i think it is, because you could have a completely different idea of what you should be getting for your money.
Not too sure whether the salary rate is higher, but it has always been that if you go to America, everything is a lot cheaper (no offense or anything, it's a good thing that has usually caused me to have spending sprees over there.

And yeah, I think I'll watch some videos on Katamari or wait for a price drop, as for its price I am curious on whether I will make a wise purchase. Pac Man is a no though, TBH.

12-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Crystal deffenders is really worth it. It will last you a while since there are 900 levels in the whole game.
12-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander951 View Post
Crystal deffenders is really worth it. It will last you a while since there are 900 levels in the whole game.
But $7.99 seems to be a bit too steep for a game you can get for free elsewhere. Even if it doesn't have as many levels, saving what is quite a rough 5 and get an albeit slightly worse game but for free is a plus.

12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Quote:
But $7.99 seems to be a bit too steep for a game you can get for free elsewhere. Even if it doesn't have as many levels, saving what is quite a rough 5 and get an albeit slightly worse game but for free is a plus.
Well if you can't afford 8 dollars then you should have an itouch or iPhone