★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Shensational Shenmue?

12-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Shensational Shenmue?

Is there a chance that we might see Shenmue for Mobile OS X? Is that what Sega have been working on since Monkey Ball?

Anyone familiar with the game will know that it was originally written for the Sega Saturn. So technically, a iPhone version should be doable. Reduce the texture resolution, bring in the draw distance a bit...

I appreciate that the Dreamcast version spanned several 1GB discs, but perhaps there might be a way of splitting the Shenmue story down into smaller chapters for a couple of dollars each?

With it's expansive story, quicktimer events, and large fan base, Shenmue could be a massive hit for Sega and provide a bucket load of kudos for Apple amongst hardcore gamers at the same time.

Last edited by James Burland; 12-22-2008 at 07:39 AM.
12-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Burland View Post
Is there a chance that we might see Shenmue for Mobile OS X? Is that what Sega have been working on since Monkey Ball?

Anyone familiar with the game will know that it was originally written for the Sega Saturn. So technically, a iPhone version should be doable. Reduce the texture resolution, bring in the draw distance a bit...

I appreciate that the Dreamcast version spanned several 1GB discs, but perhaps there might be a way of splitting the Shenmue story down into smaller chapters for a couple of dollars each?

With it's expansive story, quicktimer events, and large fan base, Shenmue could be a massive hit for Sega and provide a bucket load of kudos for Apple amongst hardcore gamers at the same time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_ 8s92nrsnQhk
It may have a large fanbase, but isn't that fanbase invested mostly into the PS3 and other formats? I think some sort of Sonic the Hedgehog game would appeal to more current iPhone owners.

There may be a large Shemnue fanbase, and being a fan of the games myself I would like it, but in the wide world outside the forum more people would have known of Sonic the Hedgehog than Shemnue, and thus they'll do a STH to get more moneys.

Actually, now I think of it, there is a pretty big Shemnue fanbase, and it would be immense for them to do it, but I'd probably prefer the much coveted Shemnue 3, or indeed any remakes, to be graced to another console with more Power, like PS3.

But if you are thinking that you want it portable, I agree with you. Shemnue for iPod!

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
12-22-2008, 08:35 AM
It would be a real showcase though, wouldn't it? A fully fledged adventure! The fighting control scheme would work so well on the touch screen, the quicktimer events would also work well (as seen in HoS).

All the visual and audio assets are done and dusted, have been since 1999. I'm guessing it might only take 4 or 5 months to get it running on the iPhone, just in time for its 10 year anniversary!

Shenmue was recently voted the 25th greatest game of all time. It's certainly a popular game which could enjoy a new lease of life on Apple's mobile platform.
12-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to matt
Sega recently officially announced that there will be no more Snenmue games in the future. This is terrible news because I was one of the biggest fans of the game.

Could there be a port? Maybe, but just think how big the game would be with all the voice acting and cinematic music.

"Do you know of any sailors?"
"Is Tom working today"
"Do you know anyone who can speak the Chinese language?"

I loved that game.

@mmccarty

Gameloft LIVE: mattmccarty
12-22-2008, 08:53 AM
The Dreamcast game was massive for sure, but if Sega split it down into chapters, perhaps even ditch the audio dialogue... it might just work ! ^_^
12-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Burland View Post
The Dreamcast game was massive for sure, but if Sega split it down into chapters, perhaps even ditch the audio dialogue... it might just work ! ^_^
I agree, it would be epic. Even a remake would be awesome. But I'd prefer it to embrace a home console, if it did ever happen.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3