Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 11-12-2010, 12:40 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Yes, Ash.

Also, Crimson Gem Saga should be your most likely choice.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Banned
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalGamerAC View Post
Elven Chronicles(which I just recently got into) and Vay(which I completed) are your only reasonable picks. Vay is not as bad as people say its traditional turn based jrpg but the design is sort of strange. But it is fun and delievers hours of game play with multiple characters and abilities. While the vioce overs in the animated cutscenes and the style of the cutscenes them selves are not of the best quality, but they are there none the less. My worst complaint about the game was the ending of the game which was slightly abrupt and left some questions.
Elven Chronicles is ok so far but I have not played enough of it to say much about it. But its turn based RPG, 2d sprite based graphics and all that.
Vay's voiceovers suck because they aren't the ORIGINAL voiceovers that were done on the SegaCD version. Loved that game.
The gameplay is the same though.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post

Also, Crimson Gem Saga should be your most likely choice.
yeah, do try Crimson Gem Saga...it is probably the only the only modern k/jrpg port on iphone.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:44 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolbertoS View Post
...but now I'm desperately trying to find a Dragon Quest type game on the Iphone. I guess it all goes back of Square Enix will ever release the game out West and still make a profit like in Japan, where they have DQ 1 - 3 on mobile and 4 and 5 on the DS. Just hoping if they're any news or similar games on the Iphone that have the First Person turn based attacks.
For some reason there isn't many RPG on iphone using first person turn based attacks. There are many more using a sort of Zelda approach.

Anyway there's RPG with first Person turn based attacks:
  • Undercroft : The fight system is party first person turn based attacks. But exploring is also first person and it's not a JRPG. It's a quite polished RPG with some good puzzles, good exploration, fairly good class and skill system, and so on. The writing is fair but a bit under the par and overall it' very far from the quality of DQ V and even DQ IV. But it has better puzzles, better fights and as good exploring, in my opinion.
  • Doom II RPG: Not party based like DQ but also using first person turn based fights. But exploration is also first person unlike in DQ. It's just another scale and approach and it's hard to compare with DQ series. It's more a dungeon crawling turn based with many story contents and some nice little tricks or secrets and the resource management is an important key. Also the writing is rather good and quite above most RPG you'll find on idevice, but it can't compare to DQ V not even to best parts of DQ IV.
  • Wolfenstein RPG: An approach rather close to Doom II RPG, I haven't yet played it.
But I'm not sure why you need at any cost first person turn based attack. For example FF 1&2 are rather close to such system anyway.

If it's hope of a port of DQ series, I'm afraid that currently it doesn't seem the idevices are in the target and this is certainly because of the current ratio sell price/number of units sold far to be enough when compared to some other devices.

About Crimson Gem Saga, it's probably the more polished writing for RPG released on idevice, alas it has some big flaws like during exploration mode all monsters look the same and that quickly kill the mood. And there's an awful forced grinding with an abuse of totally repetitive fights as I never seen even in the weakest JRPG I played (but didn't that many).
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Theres a new one coming soon called League of Epic Heros.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=70102
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

The DS is a haven for quirky jrpg's made for the super hardcore. The Etrian Odyssey's would satisfy your craving I think (first person, but more dungeon crawling than DQ).

Damn, if Atlus started supporting the iPhone... *drifts off into adolescent wonder* lol
Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Default Guardian Saga

It's short (5-6 hours) but as close to Dragon Quest as I've played so far. Worth the price for sure.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Ash is amazing, but I love Dragon Fantasy, if you're looking for something as old school as Dragon Warrior. Dragon Fantasy II should be out soon and that will play more like Ash as well.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Wow... you guys sure necro'ed a 2 year old thread.