★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: THREAKS GmbH
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 2.3 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: The wind whistles shrilly through the halls as you step gingerly over the threshold. Youve just entered Shadowgate, a once shining fortress, now a dark smoldering ruin. Swallow your fear and take up your torch. In your hands lies the fate of your land... freedom and sunlight, or the dark domination of the Warlock Lord. Only you, the last of an ancient line of kings, can hope to stop the evil one from his dread purpose: the raising of the titan Behemoth and the destruction of all you hold dear.

The original Macintosh AND Apple IIgs versions have been restored to their original glory! Come see where the world of first-person fantasy adventures started and experience the classic adventure as it appeared in 1987.
10-21-2015, 08:25 PM
#2
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,683
The things I would do to have this turn universal! It's pretty clear why it's iPad only, but still...a little part of me wishes I could run this on iPhone. Still, pick this up guys. An absolute classic with some of the best chiptunes on the planet. The main Shadowgate theme is unforgettable. Hopefully this is paving the way for the remake's appearance on iPad too.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

10-21-2015, 08:31 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
The things I would do to have this turn universal! It's pretty clear why it's iPad only, but still...a little part of me wishes I could run this on iPhone. Still, pick this up guys. An absolute classic with some of the best chiptunes on the planet. The main Shadowgate theme is unforgettable. Hopefully this is paving the way for the remake's appearance on iPad too.
Is this a modern take on the original NES Shadowgate? Or the original with a graphic overhaul? I'm so interested to check this out when it's released in the US. Wish that appinfo was done processing =P
10-21-2015, 08:34 PM
#4
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherkellydown View Post
Is this a modern take on the original NES Shadowgate? Or the original with a graphic overhaul? I'm so interested to check this out when it's released in the US. Wish that appinfo was done processing =P
It's the Mac version from 1987.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
10-21-2015, 08:42 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
It's the Mac version from 1987.
I see it was released on the Mac 2 years before the NES. Learn something new every day!
10-21-2015, 08:44 PM
#6
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherkellydown View Post
I see it was released on the Mac 2 years before the NES. Learn something new every day!
Sure do. Something like the fact that the remake was also just released.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
10-21-2015, 08:47 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,244
Too bad it wasn't the original NES version, but I still have that game anyway. This one I've never played before. No time better than the present I guess!
10-21-2015, 08:55 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Sure do. Something like the fact that the remake was also just released.
Where?! Edit: Nevermind. Just saw your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEN View Post
Too bad it wasn't the original NES version, but I still have that game anyway. This one I've never played before. No time better than the present I guess!
I'm wondering how different it is from the NES version...and that didn't take long. Just needed to wait for that app info. I'll be buying the remastered one.

Last edited by Anotherkellydown; 10-21-2015 at 09:40 PM.
10-21-2015, 08:58 PM
#9
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 113
I think i will buy the remake. Anyone know if it's good?

Edit: already bought! Great game!

Last edited by PrimoBr; 10-21-2015 at 09:20 PM.
10-21-2015, 09:54 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 7
Wow, I spent so much time on this back when I was in high school. Fun memories.

That said, if this is faithful to the original, beware that this is a game from an era where adventure games were extremely frustrating and unforgiving. I recall Shadowgate being absolutely packed with tantalizing red herrings. There are more than a handful of locked doors and inaccessible locations that REALLY look important but they are not.