★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Interesting new puzzle game — Enso•Dot (Zen is now FREE)

12-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Interesting new puzzle game — Enso•Dot (Zen is now FREE)

Saw an interesting looking puzzle game recently released, called Enso•Dot — link here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293702718&mt=8

The idea is to connect the dots in the grid with one continuous line, using the same pattern in the dots shown at the top — so in this example, a repeating pattern of:
black, white, black, white, white.

Apart from being an interesting looking puzzle, although quite simple in its looks, I must say the presentation of it, and the interface and just everything about it looks really polished and professionally done.

You should have a look at the gameplay video on their website to get a true sense of this:
http://kiefferbros.com/games/ensodot/overview.php

Interestingly though, they've also got another game called Enso•Dot Zen which is ⅓ of the price — link here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300286673&mt=8

I'm assuming it's a cut-down version of the full game, but judging from the screenshots and from the gameplay videos on their website, they appear to be the same, and I can't see what the difference is.

Has anyone tried this game out? Got any opinions of it?
Let us know...

• Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond YnthParachute PanicChicken Raid
• Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
12-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Call me whatever you want - the dots are WAY too small. They should be bigger or you'll be straining to see them. And also, with the dots that small, wouldn't it be easy for someone with big fingers to touch the wrong one?

This is all speculation - actually if someone could explain whether this is the case then feel free to prove me wrong.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3

12-22-2008, 08:16 AM
I have got the original Enso.Dot - it's OK but I found it got too difficult too quickly and stopped being fun. However, this is highly likely to be a function of my own poor spatial awareness rather than any shortcoming of the app itself........
12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
I recall being interested in this game way back when it came out. I emailed the devs about the puzzles being randomly-generated. They said there were only a limited number of puzzles.

It looks kind of interesting, but I don't know if I would want the fun to end. The great thing about PuzzleManiak is that puzzles are generated on the fly and have various difficulty settings. If Enso.Dot had that kind of system, I would get it in a heartbeat.
12-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
Call me whatever you want - the dots are WAY too small. They should be bigger or you'll be straining to see them. And also, with the dots that small, wouldn't it be easy for someone with big fingers to touch the wrong one?

This is all speculation - actually if someone could explain whether this is the case then feel free to prove me wrong.
I *THINK* the screen can be zoomed in on and then scrolled around, judging by this screenshot, which appears to show precisely this...

If someone else knows different though, please do say so...

12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyplay View Post
I recall being interested in this game way back when it came out.
Aah, I thought it was a new release? Dunno why I thought that - can't remember where I saw it, but I emailed myself a link to it from my iPhone over the weekend, and then posted this article this morning...

Quote:
t looks kind of interesting, but I don't know if I would want the fun to end. The great thing about PuzzleManiak is that puzzles are generated on the fly and have various difficulty settings. If Enso.Dot had that kind of system, I would get it in a heartbeat.
I didn't know there was another game that already had this puzzle. Which game in the PuzzleManiak collection is this?

12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
I didn't know there was another game that already had this puzzle. Which game in the PuzzleManiak collection is this?
There isn't a version of this in the PuzzleManiak series; I was just sort of lamenting the fact that while there are games out there (the PuzzleManiak series being an example) that randomly generate puzzles, this game doesn't.

It looks kind of neat, but I'm not sure how much fun I would get out of it if I blaze through most of the levels pretty quickly.
12-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Quote:
There isn't a version of this in the PuzzleManiak series; I was just sort of lamenting the fact that while there are games out there (the PuzzleManiak series being an example) that randomly generate puzzles, this game doesn't.

It looks kind of neat, but I'm not sure how much fun I would get out of it if I blaze through most of the levels pretty quickly.
OK, right, I get you... Yeah, for games like this, dynamic randomly-generated layouts are infinitely better (literally and metaphorically) than pre-set, pre-defined layouts.

I don't know why Enso•Dot doesn't work on the dynamic layout method — there's no technical reason why not to...

12-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
OK, right, I get you... Yeah, for games like this, dynamic randomly-generated layouts are infinitely better (literally and metaphorically) than pre-set, pre-defined layouts.

I don't know why Enso•Dot doesn't work on the dynamic layout method — there's no technical reason why not to...
Maybe I'm just crazy, but this game has been percolating around in my head ever since I saw the thread and remembered being interested in it a while back. If I remember, one of the versions was only $.99. Maybe I'll get it in a few hours when I'm done with work. The concept just looks too interesting for me to completely pass up.

But yeah, if they made this a randomly-generating puzzle with various options (grid size, difficulty, etc.) I would gladly drop $5.
12-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Quote:
If I remember, one of the versions was only $.99.
Enso•Dot Zen is $0.99. Enso•Dot is $2.99.

I'm still curious as to what the difference is between the two versions though. I emailed the developer first thing this morning (UK time), when I posted the thread, but have yet not received an answer...