★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Chear Studios
  • Genre: Family
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 8.7 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Snakes + Match 3 = FUN!

1. Collect the shapes.
2. Grow your tail.
3. Create Matches.
4. Pop the matches and Earn points.
5. Compete globally for the highest scores.

+ Use the accelerometer to control
+ Two finger swipe gesture to POP your matches for points
+ Easy to learn, hard to master.
+ Explosions / Physics
Reviews:
"Unpretentious graphics, unpretentious gameplay, plenty of fun. What a relief." - 4.5/5 - AppStruck.com

FULL VERSION
- art packs
- open feint leaderboard
- additional game modes

email: lin@chear.ca

lynardo's comments:

The free version of my snake + match 3 game is out. It is formerly "Catenaez" but now Chalk Chain.

HA! I can't win... apparently in iTunes it still shows up as Catenaez Lite. :'(
09-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, I personally think ths looks fun. I'll d/l in a bit I mean, it is FREE

09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
it really is, like the game implys it is a fun mixture of snake and match three.

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
09-28-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm happy it's released but because of a release date mishap, it's out today, but reported as released Sept 24th, so it's buried under 4 days of apps.

There's a new swipe to touch mechanism... touch / swipe the head to pop. The full version update will have a similar mechanism. The good old shake / flick to pop is still in there.

This version also has only 1 power up slot and ends at level 5.
09-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynardo View Post
I'm happy it's released but because of a release date mishap, it's out today, but reported as released Sept 24th, so it's buried under 4 days of apps.

There's a new swipe to touch mechanism... touch / swipe the head to pop. The full version update will have a similar mechanism. The good old shake / flick to pop is still in there.

This version also has only 1 power up slot and ends at level 5.
ooh, dl the litw and see if the swipe is better

09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Initial Impressions

Fun game.

I like how this doesn't play like your usual Snake game - you drag your tail around like a chain, it doesn't follow your path.

This is a cross between Snake and any of those games where you shoot marbles together and match 3 to remove 'em. And a little like Tetris...

First, you tilt to move the head of your snake. Touching another bit adds it to your tail. If you have three or more together you can shake the device to pop them (the more, the better the score)

Why I say there's a little Tetris in here is because to clear out mis-matches, you have to work the segments off from the end of the tail. That is, if you collect a heart, then a diamond - the only way to match that heart is to collect at least two more diamonds and pop'em.

There are some powerups and obstacles and wildcard pieces, and the bits floating around can be corralled and bounced around by your tail.

The menu is simple, but functional, and very 8-bit looking. It makes me wish the rest of the game was 8-bit looking instead of the chalk theme. Perhaps a switch with an 8-bit skin/theme would make this game more appealing. Sounds are also very 8-bit, sparse, but effective.

This is a unique take on the Snake game genre, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes that type of action/puzzle game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-29-2009, 06:20 PM
I kinda don't wanna see this but I feel that the neon retro look(such as geodefense) would maybe help you in sales(everyone seems to be into it) as I find it a good game just that maybe people take a glance then leave when seeing the chalk design.

09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
You guys are gold.

I'm going to experiment with some different art styles.

I originally had colourful fruit, gems, ... butterflies, parallax scrolling. I opted for simplicity.

Come to think of it, the black background is a bit drab. Lacks punch...

Time for some serious polishing.
11-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Updated.

The update for Chalk Chain Lite has dropped. It has unlimited play and is basically what Chalk Chain was when it was released. It might also be ad free (at least ads aren't showing up for me :P )

I'll be updating this again in the coming week to add some additional game play tweak.

- two finger swipe anywhere on the screen to pop (Chalk Chain full has this)
- POSSIBLY new art taken from Chalk Chain full

The full version is adding:
- 4 art packs
- a new game mode
- 4 leaderboards in total