★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: NaturalMotion
  • Genre: Sports
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 12.7 MB
  • Version: 1.10.5
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Backbreaker is an intense, arcade football experience. Score touchdowns by sprinting, juking and spinning past waves of oncoming defenders, racking up combos and score multipliers on your way to the endzone!

Maxim
"The most addictive sports game I've played on an iPhone"

EDGE Magazine
"Brilliant!!!"

The Appera
"It feels like PS3/360 gaming on a tiny little screen its THAT good!"

Pocketgamer.co.uk
"Backbreaker Football looks amazing and the animations are topnotch. But you'd expect this of NaturalMotion - which provided the animation engine for GTA IV."

The Appera
"Just do yourself a favor and play the frickin game!"

Follow us on Twitter for the latest update news: @Backbreaker

AMAZING GRAPHICS
Backbreaker Football brings next-gen console technology to the iPhone. Incredibly fluid animation (using NaturalMotions morpheme engine), bone-crunching tackles (based on endorphin simulation technology), a stunning 3D stadium and multi-angle instant replays. Show what your iPhone or iPod touch can REALLY do!

MULTIPLE GAMEPLAY MODES
Compete for the Golden Helmet awards in Challenge Mode or take the ultimate test in the gruelling 70-wave Endurance Mode.

CUSTOMIZATION
Choose your team and stick your name on the jersey!

UNLOCKABLE CONTENT
Unlock secret content by completing Challenges and winning helmets.

ONLINE LEADERBOARDS
Post your scores to our global leaderboards and see how you stack up against your Facebook friends.

FUN FOR ANYONE
Easy to pick up but tricky to master... and maddeningly addictive!

** DON'T MISS OUR OTHER GAMES!! BClumsy Ninja, CSR Classics, CSR Racing, Backbreaker 2, Icebreaker Hockey, Jenga and My Horse **

** SUPPORT - If you are experiencing problems, please visit www.naturalmotiongames.com/feedback

Backbreaker was developed by Ideaworks Game Studio and NaturalMotion Games. Published by NaturalMotion Games.

Privacy Policy: http://www.naturalmotion.com/privacy-policy/
Terms of Use: http://www.naturalmotion.com/terms-of-use/

Squirt Reynolds's comments:

09-29-2009, 04:43 AM
This is an amazing looking game for 99 pennies! Look out EA and Gameloft

Can't wait to get it. Alot of customizations and awesome graphics are a must for me.

09-29-2009, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post

Can't wait to get it. Alot of customizations and awesome graphics are a must for me.
Well I dissed the game a bit in the TA preview, it looked a bit boring, sure it looks great but it looks very repetitive as well, that said at a buck I'll give it a whirl and see how it is...downloading.
09-29-2009, 04:46 AM
This looks great, the graphics look really neat. I'm surprised this game came out at .99, it looks rather deep with the customization. But still, I might be wrong.

10chars
09-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post

Yeah it looks awesome. I'll grab it after I buy another iTunes giftcard.

Anybody who gets it soon, please post some impressions

Two guys walked into a bar. You think they would've seen it or something.
09-29-2009, 04:54 AM
Got it.

The gameplay rocks! The game looks incredible. real looking people in the crowd (individuals)
I am very impressed. I have so many games that I have become de-sensitized a bit, but this got me.

reminds me of football in a movie

99c.....I'm ripping the developer off!
09-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Wow this is pretty fun for .99! Basically you have the pig skin and you have to reach the opponent's goal. On the way, the opponents try to tackle you so you have to juke and spin left and right to avoid them. The graphics are really nice as well. I'm on my 3rd wave of endurance. There are two types of gameplay but I'm only on Endurance, the other is Challenge. Endurance mode is all about points and doing jukes/spins give them. Showboating after dodging all the opponents in a round earn you points as well.

10chars
09-29-2009, 05:10 AM
Played it briefly, completed the first challenge scored 30k need 40k for a gold medal guess I need to showboat a bit more lol.

Anyway it is what it is, your basically running down the field everytime avoiding would be tacklers each wave gets harder and harder with more tacklers to avoid.

You have your juke right/left and spin right/left moves and a sprint button, if you sprint you cannot use the other moves. I find it best to use the moves a bit earlier then you would expect to use them so far.

The dynamic camera looks really cool and immerses you into the game a bit which is nice I find my player can shield you from seeing some defenders a few times which sucks but I guess you can move sideways a bit to avoid this from happening.

I just started challenge two and noticed parts of the field are blocked off and if you step in them your ruled out.

Theres also endurance mode which I haven't played yet but I gather its just a never ending wave after wave mode. In challenge mode on the first one it ended after wave 10. In challenge mode I see 5 challenges in total the first one didn't take too long but can always work on a high score I guess.

The sound effects are pretty good and it shows you replays of you failing or scoring the touchdown.

Overall for a buck if the title interests you at all you'll prob think its worth it.

Last edited by Scott30; 09-29-2009 at 05:15 AM.
09-29-2009, 05:18 AM
for 0.99 cents,this really looks so good,i'll definitely get this,maybe it's a simple game but it will really worth with the price,i hope they make a full football game with the same graphics,anumation and physics,hahahahah,that would be epic
09-29-2009, 05:23 AM
So far finding it a bit too easy, find you can just use one spin button and avoid the tackler everytime, maybe in later challenges it gets harder but so far way too easy.

On the 2nd challenge each wave has different parts of the field blocked off but honest doesn't matter when its so easy to avoid tacklers with one button. Disappointing.