★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Tactical gameplay
- Easy to learn, hard to master
- Each game takes a couple of minutes
Learn to use the six tiles:
- Cut down trees with the forester to make room for your city
- Build sets of three gardens to maximise points
- Surround circles with other tiles
- Build shrines far from other shrines
- Expand fast with huts
- Place different tiles around temples for points!

- One-time purchase, no annoying ads or IAP
- 21 achievements to earn

Eli's comments:

Hexcity

Sunil Patel
Genres: Games Board Strategy
$0.99 USD

Quote:
Tactical gameplay
- Easy to learn, hard to master
- Each game takes a couple of minutes
Learn to use the six tiles:
- Cut down trees with the forester to make room for your city
- Build sets of three gardens to maximise points
- Surround circles with other tiles
- Build shrines far from other shrines
- Expand fast with huts
- Place different tiles around temples for points!

- One-time purchase, no annoying ads or IAP
- 21 achievements to earn

Supported Devices:
  • iPhone-3GS
  • iPhone4
  • iPodTouchFourthGen
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G
  • iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPhone5
  • iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G
  • iPhone5c
  • iPhone5s
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPodTouchSixthGen

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 6.0

Download Size: 36.1MB

11-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Looks cool. Got any gameplay vids?

11-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Looks too interesting to pass up - purchased!

I'll be back with impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
11-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Looks too interesting to pass up - purchased!

I'll be back with impressions...
Please do.
11-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Hmm... calling this bare bones is an understatement. The graphics are mega-chunk pixilated, there is no music (only a few bleeps and bloops for audio), and no animation... There's a small hex map that you populate with tiles to score points. The length of game you chose; short/medium/large, determines the number of tiles you can place before the game ends and your placement is scored. The games very in length between 10 and 20 tile placements. There's also something called 'campaign', though I'm not sure what that is.

I've only played two short games, but the challenge seems really rudimentary. There are five tile types available and the point values for placing them are dependent on rules about their orientation to other previously placed tiles. You pick a tile to place from the 3 randomly selected tiles displayed to the left of the map. That's it as far as I know. The biggest improvement the dev should make is a pop up info box with the orientation rule for any tile touched. Right now the rules are in a menu that sits outside of the game. If you don't have all the rules memorized you're SOL because going to the rules menu ends your current game. Ridiculous.

Last edited by Flatch; 11-04-2015 at 06:51 PM.
11-04-2015, 08:01 PM
The dev has a free version on his website, so I tinkered around for a second then decided to buy it. I like it! It's a tile-laying solitaire type game where the different tiles give you different bonuses. Each time you lay down a tile, you are randomly dealt 3 more. There is a short, medium, and long mode corresponding to 10 moves, 15 moves, and 20 moves, so the games are quick. Campaign mode runs you through all three modes for a total score. The dev seemed to polish the app version, which tells you where your points are coming from as you lay them. That's an improvement over the computer version where I would just lay things down experimentally and see how points worked. Overall, glad I got it. Not crazy deep strategy but fun to try to make the best move with the tiles and space given.

If dev is listening: Campaign mode is cool, but I would also like to see an endless mode where there is no turn limit. I want the limit to be me filling up the board or getting myself trapped in a corner.

Last edited by ShaggyPKA; 11-04-2015 at 08:36 PM.
11-05-2015, 01:17 AM
This looks but doesn't sound (based on the impressions) very appealing. I think I will stick to Chesh for the time being.
11-05-2015, 11:58 AM
@ShaggePKA: I am listening. Glad someone like it I haven't marketed this game at all and I didn't think anybody except a couple of my friends would buy it!
The one on my site was made for a game jam using a virtual console from the 70s so it was necessarily more bare-bones. Endless mode is an interesting idea! I was thinking about doing an alternate mode with 6 different types of tile too.

@Flatch: Sorry you didn't like it. I always hate tutorials in games but I guess they're there for a reason! If you get this mesage, can you check one thing for me:
The rules should be accessible from the menu in the middle of a game without going back to the title screen. Can you confirm it's not working and tell me what device you use so I can check it out.
11-05-2015, 04:27 PM
I just checked and you're right. I kept trying to exit the menu through the buttons provided, Exit and Restart, both of which end the current game. I hadn't considered simply touching outside the menu window to close it. I won't say I don't like your game, I haven't played it enough to form an opinion. That may be because its spare, demo-like quality, doesn't inspire me to play it. IMO game jam entries should be dressed up a bit if you're going to sell them on the app store.
11-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Glad to know it's not a bug, thanks for sharing your other feedback/issues!