★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best match 3 games (premium or freemium)??

11-05-2015, 01:30 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Best match 3 games (premium or freemium)??

What are the best match 3's out there? I don't mind if it's f2p but as long as it isn't unfair feeling Candy Crush is after about level 20.
11-05-2015, 04:29 AM
You Must Build A Boat
Guardian Sword
Hero Emblem
Dungeon Raid
Puzzle Quest 2 (Premium version)

11-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
You Must Build A Boat
Guardian Sword
Hero Emblem
Dungeon Raid
Puzzle Quest 2 (Premium version)
Damn EP!

That's a pretty hefty list there and I've played and enjoyed them all. Wasn't a HUGE fan of Guardian Sword but to each their own. I do wish they'd make a PQ3 though...sad day. I hear they're making a Magic: The Gathering match 3 that looks very similar to PQ though and damn I'm excited about that! There was also a multiplayer math 3 showed off at PAX called "Force of Elements" that has disappeared from mention since then. It looked pretty rad!

If we could harvest human stupidity to run our electricity, and our cars, the world would see a new era of clean, renewable energy. That's an amazing resource we're wasting.
11-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Puzzle and Dragons
11-05-2015, 12:49 PM
11-05-2015, 02:24 PM
i will add
Super Glyph Quest (paid, dunno if it runs ios9)
Kill Me Again (free but fair, my latest match3-4-5 go-to)
11-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzarules View Post
i will add
Super Glyph Quest (paid, dunno if it runs ios9)
Kill Me Again (free but fair, my latest match3-4-5 go-to)
Does Kill Me Again require an active internet connection? Hard to tell, but it looks like it is, and at 485 Mb, whats the install size? Looks like it could be fun, but a huge file requiring active internet would be a dealbreaker forme.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
11-06-2015, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Does Kill Me Again require an active internet connection?
It does last time i tried it.

It's pretty good actually, but im not the biggest fan of "move-pieces-ANYWHERE" type of match-3s. I like the more traditional "side-by-side swap" most, and the "connect-with-a-line" mechanic like Dungeon Raid's a close second.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 11-06-2015 at 12:56 AM.
11-06-2015, 03:27 AM
My 2 cents:
Letz Match! (It was a premium app at one time, but they added ads. You only see them at the title screen I believe , but it's still annoying. If memory serves me correctly, the file size was a little hefty, but it's one of my favorite match 3 games. It's worth checking out)

Scurvy Scallywag (awesome)

Cruel Jewels (was once a premium app, but they've added an ad banner at the bottom of the screen. They're charging $1.99 to remove it, but I refuse to pay them twice. It's an awesome game otherwise)

Artifact Quest HD (this is a bigfish produced game, so I think you can try it for free and then unlock the full game inside the app)

All of these are 2-3 years old. They haven't been updated recently, but I'm running iOS 9.1 and they all still work.
11-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormyspop1 View Post
My 2 cents:
Letz Match! (It was a premium app at one time, but they added ads. You only see them at the title screen I believe , but it's still annoying. If memory serves me correctly, the file size was a little hefty, but it's one of my favorite match 3 games. It's worth checking out)

Scurvy Scallywag (awesome)

Cruel Jewels (was once a premium app, but they've added an ad banner at the bottom of the screen. They're charging $1.99 to remove it, but I refuse to pay them twice. It's an awesome game otherwise)

Artifact Quest HD (this is a bigfish produced game, so I think you can try it for free and then unlock the full game inside the app)

All of these are 2-3 years old. They haven't been updated recently, but I'm running iOS 9.1 and they all still work.
Lets Match! does not work with iOS 9 - at least it does not run on my iPhone 6+ with iOS 9.1.. Requested a refund. Froze on the second screen. Also, it is back to premium, but still has those splash screens designed to take you to an App store App that they want you to buy - the worst type of advertising in my opinion. Charge premium and force ads that if you are just tapping through to start the game - you get taken to a freemium game (not by the company mind you).

Totally forgot about Scallawag... fired it up, still looks great and plays great.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer