★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Welcome to Starside Arena - Design spaceships and battle in futuristic space gladiator fights for fortune and fame!

It's the year 4000-something. You are a rookie spaceship designer wanting to prove yourself to the world. Enter Starside Arena, an entertainment arena of the future, where only the best of the best rule!

Competitive Multiplayer Game featuring layers of deep strategy and endlessly evolving game content!

FEATURES:
- Unique, never before seen gameplay
- Dozens of exciting spaceship blueprints to unlock and build
- Masses of different modules to use on your ship design
- Beautiful PvP space battles to validate your spaceships
- Beat ships designed by other players to progress in ranks and leagues

Take your place as the Top #1 spaceship designer of Starside Arena!

NOTE! Starside Arena is free to download and play. However, some game items can also be purchased for real money. If you don't want to use this feature, please disable in-app purchases in your device's settings.

NOTE! Network connection is required to play.

Boardumb's comments:
Launches worldwide November 10th

Starside Arena

Epic Owl Ltd
Genres: Games Simulation Strategy
Free

Quote:
Welcome to Starside Arena - Design spaceships and battle in futuristic space gladiator fights for fortune and glory!

It's the year 4000-something. You are a rookie spaceship designer wanting to prove yourself to the world. Enter Starside Arena, an entertainment arena of the future, where only the best of the best rule!

Competitive Multiplayer Game featuring layers of deep strategy and endlessly evolving game content!

FEATURES:
- Unique, never before seen gameplay
- Dozens of exciting spaceship blueprints to unlock and build
- Masses of different modules to build with
- Beautiful space battles to validate your designs
- Beat ships designed by other players to progress in ranks and leagues

Take your place as the Top #1 ship designer of Starside Arena!

NOTE! Starside Arena is free to download and play. However, some game items can also be purchased for real money. If you don't want to use this feature, please disable in-app purchases in your device's settings.

NOTE! Network connection is required to play.

Supported Devices:
  • iPhone4
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G
  • iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPhone5
  • iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G
  • iPhone5c
  • iPhone5s
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPodTouchSixthGen

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 7.0

Download Size: 92.8MB

11-06-2015, 07:03 PM
This looks interesting. Downloading now.

11-07-2015, 12:45 PM
'Gameplay'... All you do is place different blocks in your spaceship and watch it battle itself. You can't control anything in the fight. Deleted.
11-07-2015, 04:06 PM
I kind of like it. It is like a faster paced Gratuitous Space Battles. There are lots of ships and mods to unlock, and there doesn't seem to be any paywall. Yeah it is fairly simplistic in terms of gameplay, but combat is quick enough to make the game more about fiddling with your ship builds to find out what works.
11-08-2015, 11:48 AM
My impressions are, meh.

Assembling the ships is somewhat fun, however you have no control over your ship in battle.

So far, all but the weakest two shells have a limited number of uses in battle before they have to either be repaired using premium currency, or you wait for a cool down timer to end.

The number of uses also drops the bigger the ship is, and the cost to instantly repair goes up.

I would call that a bit of a paywall, unless you don't mind timers.

The battle itself (at least to level 4) is just watching the ships rubber band at each other and unload what weapons they can. There doesn't appear to be any real tactics on display.

If you could choose from a list of tactics to employ during battle, that would at least add a bit of interactivity beyond trying different ship loadouts.

Visually, your ship doesn't look any different depending on what you have loaded, so it always looks the same no matter how you trick it out; at least as far as I can tell. After the first couple of battles I always switch to damage view which I will talk about next.

Beyond puffs of smoke, you can't see damage to the ships until one of you blow up, unless you turn on damage view. Then what you see are cubes for each block of your ship that change color from green to yellow to red to black based on the damage they've taken.

I would assume that, as components take damage and are knocked out, their efficiency drops. What would help convey that would be a list of what components you have on your ship that also shows their health in real time.

So, in all, meh. I'll give it one more shot today to wow me, and if it fails, it'll be deleted.
11-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Saw previews, interested!
Saw it was free, damn....
Saw 'cool down timer' .... App unfollowed, never to be mentioned again
11-10-2015, 01:34 AM
I like this game, but I also feel there's room for improvement. As someone mentioned, choosing a tactic would be great. For example, ships seem to fly towards the enemy even if their guns have better range.
11-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Seeing the preview, I was hoping this would be like the head to head mode of Star Control 2. Disappointed this isn't the case.
11-10-2015, 11:59 PM
The timers are terrible.
11-12-2015, 12:57 PM
I want to like this game, I really do. Lots of potential... but it falls short in every aspect other than building the ship.

I'm level 6 now and see the fun that this game could be. But, the timers are rough, the battles are boring, and multiplayer is... completely uninspiring.

Game Fixes:
  1. Lower ALL the timers please.
  2. Allow the player to at least have a tiny bit of control over the ship during the battle like being able to switch up the AI battle tactics... telling the AI to stay far away, ram enemy, circle enemy, or maneuver erratically to dodge hits should be simple enough.
  3. Multiplayer battles need to be more than a static screen and a random numbers generator... I want to see my big fleet flying into battle against the opponent's fleet and watch the battle as it happens. I also want to be able to customize the ships in my fleet. I know you probably can't have control during the battle but it would be nice to at least assign each ship a role for the battle like support, close attack, flankers, direct assault, etc...

As I said, I want to like this game. I like watching my ship battle without having to be overly involved. With some fixes it could be lots of fun. Right now it is... meh.