★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Freemium hidden gems?

11-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Freemium hidden gems?

Going through the store I found some free games I am actually liking. I know it was big at launch but King's Road is really fun. Sports/puzzle game Score! Hero is amazing.

Was looking for any recommendations.

Like:
RPG or strategy gameplay
Original storytelling
Good graphics (detailed or uniquely stylized)
Enough content not held back by timers (i.e. in walking dead I can do 4 or so missions in a row then take a break)

Don't like:
Forced PvP (hate you Clash o Clans)
Generic or derivative gameplay or story. I want something fresh.
Too many/frequent paywalls

What games may I have missed?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
I have all the gumballs!
11-07-2015, 12:27 AM
Two recent games that may fit your bill:

Fantasy War Tactics
Rune Story

I've only scratched the surface of Fantasy War Story, so I can't say whether there's a serious paywall or if the timers are a nuisance. I've put a few hours into Rune Story, though, and so far it seems more than fair.
11-07-2015, 09:04 AM
NONE OF THESE HAVE TIMERS THAT STOP YOU FROM PLAYING:

Heroes & Castles 2 has a freemium version
Dead Effect 2 is an FPS-RPG
Slashy Hero is a unique dungeon crawling arcade-RPG
Spell Sword is still a solid arena platformer RPG
Tap Titans is my favorite clicker as it is more RPG than any other clicker
IRE: Blood Memory is a gory take on the monster hunter formula
Asterogue is a totally free (no ads or IAPs or any shens) futuristic dungeon crawling action RPG

The main downside to free games is that the majority dont bother with a story, and those that have them doesnt have book-worthy ones. But hey, free.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Check it out Kelly, is one of the best platformers I've played on iOS and it's completely free.
https://appsto.re/mx/MOvCZ.i

Also The Silent Age

Does not commute is one hell of a game with great narration.

Last edited by noteatino; 11-07-2015 at 11:14 AM.
11-07-2015, 02:18 PM
LOL... Just realized that pther than Asterogue, OP was actually asking for hidden gems.
11-07-2015, 03:42 PM
I would recommend Heroes Never Die. Great action tower defense with hack and slash elements and a story. Nice and colourfull style as well. Also the game actually is super fair freemium. I spent DKK 8 (about one dollar) for the first few weeks because I felt bad playing it for free.

Edit: Link to my Tweet with 3 pics from the game. https://twitter.com/leemobilegame/st...35350738833409

Last edited by Leegames; 11-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.