★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Freemium hidden gems?

11-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Freemium hidden gems?

Going through the store I found some free games I am actually liking. I know it was big at launch but King's Road is really fun. Sports/puzzle game Score! Hero is amazing.

Was looking for any recommendations.

RPG or strategy gameplay
Original storytelling
Good graphics (detailed or uniquely stylized)
Enough content not held back by timers (i.e. in walking dead I can do 4 or so missions in a row then take a break)

Don't like:
Forced PvP (hate you Clash o Clans)
Generic or derivative gameplay or story. I want something fresh.
Too many/frequent paywalls

What games may I have missed?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
I have all the gumballs!
11-07-2015, 12:27 AM
Two recent games that may fit your bill:

Fantasy War Tactics
Rune Story

I've only scratched the surface of Fantasy War Story, so I can't say whether there's a serious paywall or if the timers are a nuisance. I've put a few hours into Rune Story, though, and so far it seems more than fair.
11-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Heroes & Castles 2 has a freemium version
Dead Effect 2 is an FPS-RPG
Slashy Hero is a unique dungeon crawling arcade-RPG
Spell Sword is still a solid arena platformer RPG
Tap Titans is my favorite clicker as it is more RPG than any other clicker
IRE: Blood Memory is a gory take on the monster hunter formula
Asterogue is a totally free (no ads or IAPs or any shens) futuristic dungeon crawling action RPG

The main downside to free games is that the majority dont bother with a story, and those that have them doesnt have book-worthy ones. But hey, free.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Check it out Kelly, is one of the best platformers I've played on iOS and it's completely free.

Also The Silent Age

Does not commute is one hell of a game with great narration.

Last edited by noteatino; 11-07-2015 at 11:14 AM.
11-07-2015, 02:18 PM
LOL... Just realized that pther than Asterogue, OP was actually asking for hidden gems.
11-07-2015, 03:42 PM
I would recommend Heroes Never Die. Great action tower defense with hack and slash elements and a story. Nice and colourfull style as well. Also the game actually is super fair freemium. I spent DKK 8 (about one dollar) for the first few weeks because I felt bad playing it for free.

Edit: Link to my Tweet with 3 pics from the game. https://twitter.com/leemobilegame/st...35350738833409

Last edited by Leegames; 11-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.