Comments via app broken?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by houseofg, Nov 7, 2015.

1. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    So, is it just me or can you no longer post or even see article comments in the iOS app?. Sad day indeed if so, since the app apparently can never be updated. I access the site via app 99.9% of the time and this would all but break the experience.

2. scottsoapbox

scottsoapbox Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

TA App No Longer Showing Comments

I'm getting a forum error when I try to view comments on the TA app. iPhone 6 & Air both on iOS 9.1.

3. Aurizen

Aurizen Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Why can't the app be ever updated? I wonder the same. It's long overdue for a update. Where are the devs?

4. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

The TA app would be rejected since it violates some rules that Apple placed after the app was already on the AppStore. Otherwise, it would have been updated a while ago. This app will continue to be here until some iOS update breaks it or something, otherwise, you'll have to make lemonade with lemons

5. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    aw man that sucks this app is phenomenal! What does it violate?

6. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    #6 houseofg, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    Some sort of App Store replacement BS. The irony is off the charts. The percentage of game purchases that occur BECAUSE of TA must be statistically significant. Apple absolutely should take TA up on their own damn Patreon level!

7. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    I completely agree!

8. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah not sure what's going on but it's just the comments on articles posted on November 6. Everything before that still loads ok. I really like the app but I've been using the website once in a while just to get used to it. I think it's just a matter of time before the app is not an option.

9. nini

nini Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    It must be something on TA's side, I thought maybe it was a Disqus tweak but isn't as I'm still able to post to earlier articles. Probably easily resolved, like a code change that didn't account for app users.

I don't mind if the comments vanish, the main draw is the articles after all but it's annoying not being able to read.

10. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Good observation about it being limited to Friday (though I think I previously went back to Thursday posts and was seeing the same issue at times). Looks like it's happening again today.

11. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Well I got 2 PMs today and both dated November 1, not the 9th. So something is being squirrelly!!

Also still not seeing any comments on news articles. News articles says there are X comments but none being shown.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I reported it to our developers, but, it's probably better to just get used to the mobile web view on toucharcade.com - Remember you can always add a bookmark to your homescreen which works pretty similarly to the app.

13. nini

nini Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    They might do though, have some faith Eli! They probably should consider it, comments seem to be far lower than usual since app users can't see nor post right now.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Curiously, quality of the comments have gone up as people can't just rapid fire junk via mobile anymore.

15. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Well I have been unable to post comments since mid July. Never got an answer as to why since I was on vacation for 1 month prior. So can I get an answer?

16. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

17. nini

nini Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    They could, just it's a pain so at least there's that bonus.

18. Anova

Anova Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 14, 2012
    I think I'll stick with th app while it exists, you all did a fantastic job building a platform that is perfect for tracking and reading TA news. The site doesn't compare, e.g. Being able to "dig down" through links then go back to the surface level is great, as is unread stories being tagged. It really sucks you got screwed by Apple on this.

Hopefully you can at least bring comment viewing back, if not writing. Sure, there was lots of junk, but it was nice wading through the interesting opinions. It feels a little sterile without them.

19. sarfa

sarfa Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    The current problem with comments just started last Friday or Saturday. Apple did not release any updates in the last few days, so I can't figure out why this problem should suddenly appear? Did TA do anything or make any adjustments in something late last week that could have caused this?

20. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    I was wondering if it was just me. I don't have a PC sadly so the app is what I always use. It's really odd because I can see and post in some new game threads but things like the "tonight's games" post I can't read or post anything.
    I love this app so much. It's just way more convenient than safari.