★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Looking for a great iPad Rogue-like

11-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Looking for a great iPad Rogue-like

Looking to buy an iPad Roguelike RPG for someone I know:

- Less than 2 years old (otherwise they might own it already) and recently updated/supported.

- Premium (any IAP should be unnecessary stuff).

- Slick presentation (pixelart is fine, but not SUPER simplistic). The cell-based retro play style of a roguelike is fine—that's expected.

- Full-scale long-play experience, not bite-size/pick-up-and-play.

What they like:

- Character customization, stats and upgrades. No need to dumb it down: choose a race, choose where to distribute your XP points, etc.

- No starvation. Death by monsters and traps OK, but not a constant race against a ticking clock!

- Not near-impossible to win (so, death should not erase all progress, or else the game should be easier than the brutal 90s classics). They used to play those old games, but it was futility...

- Turn-based like classic Rogue or Moria, not realtime.

- Lots of loot to find. Stores to spend it in. Bonus if there's a fun luck-based mining component!

- No significant story. No NPC conversations taking up time! Just dungeon crawling, going deeper and revealing random rooms and passages.

What's good these days? Thanks in advance!

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
11-13-2015, 01:55 PM
The first game to came to my mind was 'The nightmare cooperative' is one of my favourite and underrated Roguelikes.

11-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Would recommend Card Dungeon. I like the presentation, which resembles a 1980's tabletop RPG with 2D cardboard cutout figures, and the card mechanic gives added depth to gameplay. Has been out just over a year and is regularly updated. A mixture of genres but it's sort of rogue-like as well.

Last edited by Stronsay; 11-13-2015 at 03:10 PM.
11-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Maybe look at Sproggiwood, Desktop Dungeons, Dungeon of the Endless, Brogue.

Follow me at @bitGamerX for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.
11-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Awesome! Thanks, all, those are great suggestions!

Games with a single hero at a time (not a party) would be the best fit for the person in question.

My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)

Last edited by Adams Immersive; 11-17-2015 at 11:55 AM.
11-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Wayward Souls, if that counts as rogue-like.
11-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
Wayward Souls, if that counts as rogue-like.
For this person, a turn-based classic rogue-like is better. But I myself do enjoy Wayward Souls!