★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: LED Football 2

12-22-2008, 02:26 PM
LED Football 2

Being a fan of the original, I bought this and noticed some differences. First, if you step forward one space, you can't pass anymore. I'm also seeing inconsistancies when passing; the original was a defender need only be one or two spaces in front of you (as long as he moved forward at least one space) and you could pass with no interception. Not the case with this version.

I'm going to play with it more but would like to hear other's thoughts...
12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
The app store page also says runbacks on kicks but that is not the case.

12-23-2008, 08:17 AM
FYI - Link to LED Football 2

Here's the direct Link: LED Football 2

I'm the developer of this app, and I'd love some feedback if you have it.

To respond to your comments so far, first, the passing stops working when you pass the line of scrimmage. That is on purpose.

Second, I don't even know what a kickback is. And well, I don't know why it's mentioned since I don't even know what it is, and I programmed the dang thing. Can you explain it? :P

And finally, we are not trying to copy the game or games in the past that had similar gameplay. We are trying to take what they have and run with it, improving and tweaking where we see necessary for the platform, and for gameplay. For example, in one of the original v1 games, the time used to not matter and it used to play infinitely (at least on my handheld). Also, passing on the originals used to be very tweaky, you used to almost never be able to pass over the head of a enemy, making passing basically useless. What the heck would you pass for if it couldn't go over the defender's head!

Anyway, I would love to hear more feedback. Publicly here is fine, but if you want to ask me questions personally, feel free to PM me or visit our website and submit the contact form.

I do love playing LED Football 2, I worked on it so much and playtested it so much buy I still play it, which means it must be pretty good. :P Passing is fun! It took a lot of playtesting to decide on the percentages of deflection of a pass and stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the post, I should have done it myself.
12-23-2008, 08:20 AM
AWESOME i didn't know touchGrove (EDIT: Apprently 2 different guys, sorry!) was here

I can't wait for LED Baseball!! Can you tell us which retro handheld it will be based off of?

I'm actually disappointed by the lack of popularity for your apps. I remember making a thread about the upcoming titles a few weeks ago and it got zero replies
12-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Not Touchgrove...

We're partnered with touchGrove. They do graphics and PR work, we do the coding. So no, they are not here, sorry. But we are. All their apps and all our apps we programmed. Though, all our apps we did our own graphics for.

And yeah I know, the LED games are real popular in certain circles. I think the readers of touchArcade aren't really the old school or retro type. They may not be old enough to have had one of these original classic handheld games. I personally didn't have one (but I have one now!) but a lot of people I talk to have played one at their grandparents house.

Anyway, to the people here that are younger (I am younger) I say, go buy LED Football and see what it was like 30+ years ago before modern electronics. Crap, I will give you a promo code for LED Football 1 if you're really poor.
12-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah I am only 19 but I'm a huge retro gaming fan, so naturally I love these apps
12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
@ InsolentDreams

Can you make a lite version?

I didn't understand the game yet by looking at the video.

I know it's just $0.99 but, as I just said in another topic, if I start to buy all of those games I'll end up purchasing $10 in just one week.

I'm not poor but I can't spend too much either.
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
@ InsolentDreams

Can you make a lite version?

I didn't understand the game yet by looking at the video.

I know it's just $0.99 but, as I just said in another topic, if I start to buy all of those games I'll end up purchasing $10 in just one week.

I'm not poor but I can't spend too much either.
I totally understand. And no, there really isn't much to this game, there is no way we could make a lite version to a game this simple.

And basically it's a pretty simple game, you are the quarterback, and you basically can move up, down, left and right. The game goes in 1-second "ticks" and most every tick a single enemy moves towards you. When a hole opens up you have to run your quarterback through that hole. After 80 yards (you start on your 20 yard line) you score a touchdown. It's pretty simple, football 2 adds a new spot on the playing field to move around in, the ability to move backwards, and the new passing feature (and much cooler graphics).
12-23-2008, 11:46 AM
@ InsolentDreams

OK. I understand.

Just one more thing: does the game have statistics? Like winnings/losses at least? This feature is always a good reason to keep playing a game.
12-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Love this app - loved the last one as well. Guess nostalgia plays a big part for me, I'm old enough that these games were THE hot item at X-mas when I was a kid so having them now on the Iphone is just too cool. Couple comments on the new one.

It's taking a while to figure out when/how the defense scores or which side has the ball. I think the computer just randomly will get points when it would have been it's turn on offense.

Sometimes it seems like I can kick a field goal from 60+ yards.

I had no idea you cold pass OVER the defenders. That was good info.

Still - those are minor gripes, I love the game and it's a ton of fun - quick pick up and play and 99 cents is a good price.