Metroid, Mega Man inspired game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by rozgo, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rozgo

rozgo Active Member

Feb 9, 2009
    #1 rozgo, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
    [​IMG]

ANNOUNCING: GROKION – the newly coined upcoming sci-fi side scroller for the iphone/itouch

And some images:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm currently adding some more features, so if any of you guys have some royalty-free ideas to contribute, let me know.

Cheers !!!

Newer screenshots and this time taken from actual runtime, not video :) These shots include changes suggested by you guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    Upcoming. Looks cool

3. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    #3 Squirt Reynolds, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009

and yeah, this should be in the "Upcoming Games" section

EDIT: forgot to mention that the game looks quite good :)

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Looks fantastic. Any thoughts on submission/release date?

As far as suggestions are concerned, I would try to give the game a real story, something that builds between stages to make for a satisfying conclusion. Then add some kind of survival mode to extend gameplay.

5. Maelick

Maelick Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Read Above
    Myrtle Beach, SC USA
    Yeh a survival mode is always good to extend replay value and for when people don't have time to get into the game to much but still wanna play it. Though I don't consider it a requirement. Game looks sweet can't wait for this!

6. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Wow the game looks great! I would definitely make sure you have a strong story to go along with it. I also like the idea of a survival mode with online scores. There are little things you want to make sure are in the game, such as a pause/resume anywhere option (so phone calls don't make you lose your progress), a good tutorial, and level progress saves (checkpoints) if the levels are long so that if you get killed you don't have to start over (not necessary if levels are short). Like everyone else, I also would like to know when you are planning to submit this game. I will definitely be adding it to my watch list :)!

7. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Wowzers, huge coincidence that the first screenshot shows some gfx that, at a glance, looks to resemble Samus from the real Metroid series.

8. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    The soundeffects sound a bit funny. Graphics looks good though.

9. rozgo

rozgo Active Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I edited the video with some alternative editing software, shows I need to get FinalCut for my mac. The video has some mixed music, highly compressed audio, bad gamma (making it quite dark), blah, I'll put out a better video next week.

The current music is temp. I really want to get a real classical orchestra score for the game, so I'll be calling up some friends. I'm somewhat of a musician, and for me music is vital.

If I go with episodic content, I'll be ready to ship in 3-4 weeks. If instead I go for the full blown experience in one shot, it'll be at least 2 months.

Still, this first video is to show the basic mechanics and physics-based gameplay. A lot of effort went into making physics serve gameplay instead of simulation. This is not another rigidbody playground. I'm confident you will enjoy the level design and progression pace. Gameplay will be driven by interleaved blood gates, exploration and puzzle-solving. And power-ups... gravity boots anyone.

The doors might resemble metroid doors. Couldn't help it, please let that one pass; for me, its pure nostalgia :(

Anyway, thanx for the support it's really encouraging, I'm working full time on this in hopes to deliver the best old-school-retro-memorable experience.

Cheers !!!!

10. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    This looks really cool! Do you have a title in mind?

The game references and main character say 'Megatroid' to me.

I'm not sure about your button placement. I don't think I want to move my thumb over more of the screen to hit 'B'. Maybe it could be in the upper - right corner?

11. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    #11 sizzlakalonji, Sep 30, 2009
    What about "Heavens to Mergatroid"? Where my Saturday morning cartoon peeps at?

12. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    That was a great expression, and still is.

13. Bjack37781

Bjack37781 New Member

Sep 30, 2009
    As a metroid fanatic that has played every version, i would have to say that this is very awesome indeed!! I was wondering if he or she could also do spin jumps that would be needed to jump further or to maybe have a spin attack;). But this is very awesome, been waiting for something like this for the iphone...

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Looks more like Metroid in gameplay than Mega Man...and that's a good thing, tbqh. I'd rather an action/adventure than an action game.

Even with the bad vid it looks very good, and that's saying a lot.

Y'know...since it's such an homage to Metroid, I wonder if you'll put a classic "self destruct" sequence into the game.

15. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    #15 onewithchaos, Sep 30, 2009
    I'm not entirely sure about everything. But obviously one of the things that is very attractive are the powerups and many different guns that you collect. I noticed the puzzle elements to your game and the freedom the levels give you. But aside from everything, the number of powerups/guns/ enemies is whats really going to make it stand out. Powerups could be, health increase, guns such as missile launcher etc, jumping power. Maybe for guns you can have a menu similar to Heavy Mach. I think some customization will go a long way. I personally dont like the color or the size of the character. But i do like the gameplay.

EDIT: I like that Megatroid title lol and i think it will be better to ship a full game rather than ship an unfinihsed product. Make sure the menu, save state, Orientation (for iPhone and iPod touch users) are taken care of. Also get testers ( I'm volunteering!!) to see if the control scheme is as responsive as it needs to be or any other thing you may have overlooked. It's easier to judge a product hands on than from just a video.

16. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    looks fantastic, great work.

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I love METROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

18. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    What about this for a title?:

Suit Up

19. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    The ability to zoom in and out

20. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Looks good. Being able to zoom out would be good though. And of course charging of the main weapon.