★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Rayman Adventures Free to Play Rants and Raves

07-10-2015, 02:58 AM
#1
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,673
Rayman Adventures Free to Play Rants and Raves

May we please lower our heads in mourning as we remember the fond days when Rayman was premium on iOS. Of course I'll still get this when it releases globally, but a little part of me is sad to see it go F2P.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
07-10-2015, 03:04 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
May we please lower our heads in mourning as we remember the fond days when Rayman was premium on iOS. Of course I'll still get this when it releases globally, but a little part of me is sad to see it go F2P.
If handled well, I'll not mourn it. Just hoping there isn't any timers, then I probably won't mind the shift.
And you as a mod should better than anyone know, that adding the F2P complaints to a new game thread does not do the site any favours.

Game looks solid, so crossing my fingers. And very curious to see if this is an endless runner or a fully fledged platformer.

07-10-2015, 03:05 AM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
May we please lower our heads in mourning as we remember the fond days when Rayman was premium on iOS. Of course I'll still get this when it releases globally, but a little part of me is sad to see it go F2P.
It's time to move on. Accept things for what they are and not how some wish it to be.
07-10-2015, 03:08 AM
#4
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegames View Post
And you as a mod should better than anyone know, that adding the F2P complaints to a new game thread does not do the site any favours.
See my friend, I was not complaining. Discussions on F2P are not banned on TouchArcade (for those wondering), but there's a way to go about talking about it. I'm sad to see the series go that direction and can freely express that without having the need to go "OMG FUDGE UBISOFT SIDEWAYS YOU RUINED MY FAVORITE GAME I HAET U NAO DIE!!!".

So yeah, as you said...as a mod, please trust me enough to know what I'm doing.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
07-10-2015, 03:24 AM
#5
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: The last time zone for iOS game releases :(
Posts: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
See my friend, I was not complaining. Discussions on F2P are not banned on TouchArcade (for those wondering), but there's a way to go about talking about it. I'm sad to see the series go that direction and can freely express that without having the need to go "OMG FUDGE UBISOFT SIDEWAYS YOU RUINED MY FAVORITE GAME I HAET U NAO DIE!!!".

So yeah, as you said...as a mod, please trust me enough to know what I'm doing.

Great post Casket and I feel the same way, but a glimmer of hope as Hitman soft launched as a F2P, but came out as a Premium. Fingers crossed it's the same.
07-10-2015, 05:15 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C83 View Post
Some of the levels are designed so that you NEED to use these creature thingies to be able to collect everything and that's a deal breaker for me. Add timers and dual currencies and it becomes apparent that the game isn't for me. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is still excellent and as far as I know the free to play stuff doesn't stop you from playing; I can see a lot of people enjoying this. But for me personally it feels like a step backwards for Rayman on mobile; while I was playing I couldn't help but wish I were playing Fiesta Run instead. Not to mention Rayman Legends.
Really good feedback.
What's surprising is that Rayman had a VERY good start on mobile and was hailed by a lot of reviewers and gamers for its gameplay, mechanics, graphics and overal package. Why would they turn their back on that and change their mentality is beyond me. I hope this game fails just so they can learn from this experience.

Last edited by nemerleb; 07-10-2015 at 05:28 AM.
07-10-2015, 05:23 AM
#7
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemerleb View Post
Really good feedback.
What's surprising is that Rayman had a VERY good start on mobile and was hailed by a lot of reviewers and gamers for its gameplay, mechanics, graphics and overal package. Why would they turn their back on that and changed their mentality is beyond me. I hope this game fails just so they can learn from this experience.
Mostly because of the differences between SUCCESSFUL premium and freemium titles. Income in premium games is capped, while in freemium it isnt. A whale can pay thousands of dollars and still can pay a thousand more.
07-10-2015, 05:24 AM
#8
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemerleb View Post
I hope this game fails just so they can learn from this experience.
Now, now...that's what I was talking about earlier. Can we please refrain from these kinds of comments?

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
07-10-2015, 05:25 AM
#9
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Monster Hunter Island
Posts: 5,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemerleb View Post
Really good feedback.
What's surprising is that Rayman had a VERY good start on mobile and was hailed by a lot of reviewers and gamers for its gameplay, mechanics, graphics and overal package. Why would they turn their back on that and changed their mentality is beyond me. I hope this game fails just so they can learn from this experience.
I honestly think it's because F2P is the in thing atm and everyone believes it'll make them more money than an actual Premium game. Constant cashflow or something like that?

TOP5: Chaos Rings 3 / Monster Hunter Freedom Unite / The World Ends With You / Kingdom Rush Series / Implosion
My Artwork: http://pixiv.me/raidriar
07-10-2015, 05:28 AM
#10
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C83 View Post
Some of the levels are designed so that you NEED to use these creature thingies to be able to collect everything and that's a deal breaker for me. Add timers and dual currencies and it becomes apparent that the game isn't for me. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is still excellent and as far as I know the free to play stuff doesn't stop you from playing; I can see a lot of people enjoying this. But for me personally it feels like a step backwards for Rayman on mobile; while I was playing I couldn't help but wish I were playing Fiesta Run instead. Not to mention Rayman Legends.
NOW I am mourning as well.

Ooph and I do trust you metalcasket, I just didn't think it was needed as a first comment, if you wanted to avoid derailing into the kind of mess these threads usually end up in.

Gonna try it anyways, but the first timer that stops me from playing will make me hit delete.

Last edited by Leegames; 07-10-2015 at 05:31 AM.