★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Charlie Brooker's 'Gameswipe'

09-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Charlie Brooker's 'Gameswipe'

Just finished watching this spectacular show put on by BBC 4 called Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe. I think anyone who would consider themselves an enjoy-er of videogames would greatly appreciate the show, thus I'm posting it.

The show is essentially a history, or primer, for the broader market on where the industry has gone up until this point in history. The following quote form the guardian.co.uk really sums the show up best..

Quote:
For me, Gameswipe is the first TV treatment of gaming to be really convincing for a broad adult audience. Funny, thoughtful, critical and passionate, it feels like the games programme the medium deserves but also needs.

Let's just hope it's not game over...
It's broken up into six parts on youtube.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Couple notes:
- There is liberal use of expletives through out.
- If people would like the actual embedded youtube links I'd be glad to oblige.
- Please enjoy.
09-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWalrus View Post
Just finished watching this spectacular show put on by BBC 4 called Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe. I think anyone who would consider themselves an enjoy-er of videogames would greatly appreciate the show, thus I'm posting it.

The show is essentially a history, or primer, for the broader market on where the industry has gone up until this point in history. The following quote form the guardian.co.uk really sums the show up best..

It's broken up into six parts on youtube.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Couple notes:
- There is liberal use of expletives through out.
- If people would like the actual embedded youtube links I'd be glad to oblige.
- Please enjoy.
Thanks for the links -- the show was brilliant and hilarious.

10-01-2009, 04:27 AM
Glad someone else enjoyed this as well.
10-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWalrus View Post
Glad someone else enjoyed this as well.
I'd seen short clips of Charlie Brooker online in the past, and I thought he was funny in a "my, those potty-mouthed brits" kind of a way. What I didn't expect was how insightful he was on the subject. My favorite bit in that regard was his comparison between pedestrian behavior in Driver (which is convincing in a cinematic sort of way) and GTA (which is just stupid in a video game sort of way): it's such a revealing detail, and whether you agree and disagree with his general assessment of the franchise, it still makes you pause and think.

Great stuff.
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I'd seen short clips of Charlie Brooker online in the past, and I thought he was funny in a "my, those potty-mouthed brits" kind of a way. What I didn't expect was how insightful he was on the subject. My favorite bit in that regard was his comparison between pedestrian behavior in Driver (which is convincing in a cinematic sort of way) and GTA (which is just stupid in a video game sort of way): it's such a revealing detail, and whether you agree and disagree with his general assessment of the franchise, it still makes you pause and think.

Great stuff.
His background was in UK video games magazines. He wrote for Amiga Power and/or Zero I think. I met him once a long long time ago when he turned up in the office to interview my boss.

The next I heard of him was this site, a sort of spoof TV listings mag:

http://www.tvgohome.com/1201-2001.html

I was kind of surprised to see the producer credit for "Inspector Bumhat", I guess I just have an amusing name...

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
10-01-2009, 05:52 PM
He didn't write for Amiga Power. He was best known for his time on PC Zone.

Do Americans have any idea how hilarious we find it when you say "potty-mouthed"?
10-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpungoMcGee View Post

Do Americans have any idea how hilarious we find it when you say "potty-mouthed"?
Only people I've ever heard say it are mothers to their toddlers

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
10-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Send a message via AIM to Outkast1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpungoMcGee View Post

Pip Pip! Cheerio!