★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Bulkypix
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 145.9 MB
  • Version: 1.3
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Harvest stars and fight with black holes in a magnificent RTS set into the cosmos.

Devouring Stars is a real-time strategy game based on adaptative unit combination and space resources harvesting. Devouring Stars aspires to bring a different scope to the RTS genre while offering visual and audio refinement.

In Devouring Stars, you play a tribe of godlike entities trapped in Tartarus, a corner of the universe as far beneath hell as heaven is high above the earth. Hunted by 4 other tribes, you have been given the ability to draw your own fate. But to what extent?

To defend themselves, those entities have the ability to devour space starfields and create dynamic protective nebulae, or to merge to grow into more advanced units with special abilities (freezing enemies, taking control of them, attacking them from afar, etc.). Depending on the set of entities a game is started with, different strategies may be unfolded.

Devouring Stars is mainly inspired by Dan Simmons' Illium but also by games like Homeworld, Eufloria, Starcraft or Faster Than Light.

FEATURES

- Unique particle system displaying thousands of dynamic stars
- Superb action soundtrack with epic piano compositions
- 15 advanced entities to unlock by merging the 4 basic ones (earth, air, fire, water)
- Generated starfields offering a wide range of beautiful and differently balanced layouts
- Thousands of different settings through generated scenarios
- Direct attack, escape route, diversion... There are plenty of ways to play the game depending on your strategic choices, entities and enemies
- 4 enemy tribes with specific features and behaviors
- And some well hidden secrets...

PRESS

If youre stirring up a fictional war for a video game, Id be far more interested in unknowable celestial entities weaponising the very cosmos, devouring and merging stars to create colossal murdertools.
- Rock, Paper, Shotgun

A minimalist RTS, but one that doesn't lack for depth of strategy.
- IndieGames

Eli's comments:

Devouring Stars

Bulkypix
Genres: Games Entertainment Strategy Adventure
GAME CENTER ENABLED
$4.99 USD

Quote:
Harvest stars and fight with black holes in a magnificent RTS set into the cosmos.

Devouring Stars is a real-time strategy game based on adaptative unit combination and space resources harvesting. Devouring Stars aspires to bring a different scope to the RTS genre while offering visual and audio refinement.

In Devouring Stars, you play a tribe of godlike entities trapped in Tartarus, a corner of the universe as far beneath hell as heaven is high above the earth. Hunted by 4 other tribes, you have been given the ability to draw your own fate. But to what extent?

To defend themselves, those entities have the ability to devour space starfields and create dynamic protective nebulae, or to merge to grow into more advanced units with special abilities (freezing enemies, taking control of them, attacking them from afar, etc.). Depending on the set of entities a game is started with, different strategies may be unfolded.

Devouring Stars is mainly inspired by Dan Simmons' Illium but also by games like Homeworld, Eufloria, Starcraft or Faster Than Light.

FEATURES

- Unique particle system displaying thousands of dynamic stars
- Superb action soundtrack with epic piano compositions
- 15 advanced entities to unlock by merging the 4 basic ones (earth, air, fire, water)
- Generated starfields offering a wide range of beautiful and differently balanced layouts
- Thousands of different settings through generated scenarios
- Direct attack, escape route, diversion... There are plenty of ways to play the game depending on your strategic choices, entities and enemies
- 4 enemy tribes with specific features and behaviors
- And some well hidden secrets...

PRESS

If youre stirring up a fictional war for a video game, Id be far more interested in unknowable celestial entities weaponising the very cosmos, devouring and merging stars to create colossal murdertools.
- Rock, Paper, Shotgun

A minimalist RTS, but one that doesn't lack for depth of strategy.
- IndieGames

Supported Devices:
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G
  • iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPhone5
  • iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G
  • iPhone5c
  • iPhone5s
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPodTouchSixthGen

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 8.0

Download Size: 204.6MB

12-09-2015, 02:03 PM
This seems to be pretty cool. Anyone give it a try yet?

12-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Yeah, me too. Any comments?
12-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Perplexed, finger on trigger.
12-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4nd0fg0d View Post
Perplexed, finger on trigger.
Same here. Really like the look of this & the gameplay seems right up my alley.

Last edited by mzinn; 12-09-2015 at 11:12 PM.
12-09-2015, 11:50 PM
I don't know if I love this or hate it. But I keep playing. Don't know if that is good or bad yet.

Ships combine to make other ships. They all have abilities. The AI ranges from ruthless to a box of rocks with no middle ground. I am barely into the game yet and I can tell you it's deep.

I realize how vague that sounds.... Just trust me. This is different.

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder
12-10-2015, 04:05 AM
Hi! I'm the dev of Devouring Stars. Probably not the best one to tell you how nice this game is, but if you have questions about it, don't hesitate.

Lathland posted a Let's Play of the game (Steam version, early on) some time ago. Some spoilers, many trial and errors, but hey : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weQpzsH7zgc

@jsrco : this is the sort of feedback I like!

Franois Alliot @nerial

Game dev of Reigns, Devouring Stars and Magic Shot
12-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Yesssss...

Interesting dev, curious description, thought-provoking (for iOS) price point.

Had a look, and feared it would turn out to be (yet another) galcon reskin.

Awaiting more impressions!

Last edited by Quoad; 12-10-2015 at 07:49 AM.
12-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Seems we have a few sitting here waiting for some imps. The posted vids are great but I like to see iOS vids so I can understand how it works on touch screens. And of course get some feedback from iOS players.
12-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerial View Post
Hi! I'm the dev of Devouring Stars. Probably not the best one to tell you how nice this game is, but if you have questions about it, don't hesitate.

Lathland posted a Let's Play of the game (Steam version, early on) some time ago. Some spoilers, many trial and errors, but hey : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weQpzsH7zgc

@jsrco : this is the sort of feedback I like!
My only complaint is splitting and combining ships. I am glad you can do it while paused. But could we get a button for the process? Since you can zoom in, it's hard to combine some of them. I have lost several chaos' and then missions because of splits.

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder