★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: I need your feedback for 'Adventure' controls

12-22-2008, 07:40 PM
I need your feedback for 'Adventure' controls

I basically got 100% consensus that people don't like the tilt controls on my game Adventure but I am struggling with how to implement an alternative. My first attempt was something like what Crystal Defenders does:

But that that seems to be pretty unpopular. In addition, it shrinks the current full-screen size of the game down really small.

If I put touch controls on the screen your fingers cover up the game as you play which makes it hard to see what's going on.

This is what the current UI looks like:

Thoughts?

-Peter
12-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hirschberg View Post
I basically got 100% consensus that people don't like the tilt controls on my game Adventure but I am struggling with how to implement an alternative. My first attempt was something like what Crystal Defenders does:

But that that seems to be pretty unpopular. In addition, it shrinks the current full-screen size of the game down really small.

If I put touch controls on the screen your fingers cover up the game as you play which makes it hard to see what's going on.

This is what the current UI looks like:

Thoughts?

-Peter
adventure for ipodtouch/iphone is PERFECT

please do not change it unless you add an option to use these original controls

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !

12-22-2008, 07:43 PM
First of all let me say that your game is awesome! Will you be porting more 2600 games?

Second, you could implement all three control types, just make an options menu where people can choose which one they'd like to use.

I think I would prefer touch controls.
12-22-2008, 07:44 PM
I have no problems with the controls, but if you have to make a change, do on screen controls. Virtual d pads are ALWAYS ugly imo and I almost never purchase games that use them.

Just a gal who likes to write and has an unhealthy(probably) attachment to her iPod.

Top 6 favorite games right now: {Rogue Touch, Sway, Pocket God, Archibald's Adventure, Wolfenstein 3D, Platypus}
12-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I would say give the people what they want, and different people want different things. I say you allow the option for all 3 types and let people choose. I personally love the tilt controls, btw.

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah I thought it was alright too. The game didn't warrant any complex controls, so tilt worked fine. And thanks for bringing back the memories!
12-22-2008, 08:08 PM
hey I want to say that I LOVE that you ported Adventure to the iphone. It's a dream come true!!

I have to say though, I am not too fond of the controls... i wish they were better or at least a few more options because some people seem to like the tilt, but some (including me) hates it.

maybe do the joystick as another option, and maybe a swipe as a third option?

not sure... i look forward to some other way because I love that game and gave it 5 stars, but the controls are hard..
12-22-2008, 08:14 PM
I would definitely offer tilt as an option still (my preferred method). I just don't see smearing your fingers on the screen as a good way to control it.

What is the difference between on-screen controls and a virtual D-Pad? I'm confused.

One thing I've been considering is to allow tapping on an edge of the screen to move in that direction. For instance, you would tap the extreme left edge of the screen and the player would move right. You'd have to sort of play with four fingers stretched across the screen but it might work. Or you could just hunt and peck.

No, no more 2600 games for me (unfortunately) unless I get some sort of blessing from Atari. I would absolutely LOVE to do something like this though. Anybody have any contacts there?

Thanks!
-Peter
12-22-2008, 08:16 PM
The difference between controls you can't see and a d pad is just that, tapping is no issue in terms ofviewing he game but a d pad is an eyesore.

Just a gal who likes to write and has an unhealthy(probably) attachment to her iPod.

Top 6 favorite games right now: {Rogue Touch, Sway, Pocket God, Archibald's Adventure, Wolfenstein 3D, Platypus}
12-22-2008, 08:27 PM
control is perfect

seriously, fantastic job! I was able to do the easter egg with no problems,
and finding that microscopic dot is a testament to the perfect controls.
I'd hate to see that perfect screen afflicted with buttons or pointers.
Thank you so much for bringing this to the iPhone!!!

If you have any spare time, can you do Star Raiders?
(I know, I know, but I can ask, sigh!)

Last edited by Griff; 12-22-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo