This week's releases

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Dec 10, 2015.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #1 thumbs07, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Thought maybe good idea a thread discussing week's releases. Not competition for game of the week thread, this is just posting impressions and stuff. Point out possible underdogs, and not so good games.

2. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #2 thumbs07, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    So I started this week, and you can see the obvious hits a mile away like the a good snowman is hard to build, so I thought I'd look at some others.

First one looked at was Toadled. Thought it maybe like that quirky Japanese game by the picture but it's a very simple game that is not so good quality, press for a tongue to come out and eat the miscellaneous objects.

Second game tried Creature Racers. Decent likeable game, racer where you race one animal opponent, with two key mechanics. (No steering the animal) One chance to press boost in a race, and the second mechanism is how well you jump the hurdles. (Eg pressing at the right time)
    And then you can upgrade parts of your animal's body.. Like the buttocks!..
    My problem with this one, I seem to be doing the same map over and over. And multiplayer, the one opportunity to do a different map and it's all very similar agonisingly simple basic lap design.
    Could do well on App Store. But not a keeper for me.

Spunge invaders - I like this, got character, got some originality (you're defending water!), got a mix of controls(flicks and moving a shooting aim). Stays in my iPad for moment. Criticism maybe it needs allow player to upgrade with enticing powerful upgrades.

Geometry Race - short impression of this as my ancient iPad mini suffers a bit of slowdown on this. This was the first one I picked out as wanting to try after seeing the list due to loving the concept. Upon trying it's basically a Free version of Race the Sun(which is a fantastic game on the PC). Only difference is the flamboyant geometry look which maybe compelling on further levels. But I kind of would have hoped for a bit more difference than race the sun than its gone for it.

Baseball Riot- basically angry birds with a baseball bat. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent quality release, and satisfying hit sounds with the baseball bat,as well as some twists, and additional objectives(getting the stars and stuff) Just not an angry birds fan here. Deleted.

The blocks- decent, very simple, but it's got gameplay there. Keep for meanwhile.

Galactic pixel wars- hit left or right with your light sabre according to where enemy coming from. Too simple. But only a max score of 11 so could be wrong. But nonetheless can't see anything I'm missing. Deleted.

Dodger ball - seemed fairly ok but then yellow ball got stuck on the side in a bug.

Gnomercy- game I most want to like by first impressions has crashed twice.(maybe my mini). Now it runs, seems lemmings-like. But level 4 appears to be bugged.

Toadled- Deleted
    Creature Racers- Could be popular on app store, deleted for me.
    Spunge Invaders- Staying on device for meanwhile
    Geometry Race- Race the Sun clone- deleted
    Baseball riot- angry birds with a baseball bat, decent but deleted.
    The blocks- decent, staying on device for meanwhile
    Galactic pixel wars- deleted.
    Dodger Ball-Deleted
    Gnomaze- deleted
    Jump Warrior- Deleted
    Battle Bros- Deleted
    Kristie- fairly ok, staying on device for meanwhile.
    Midnight terrors- staying
    Stachey Brothers- large file for what it is-(143mb) - deleted
    Catalysm- looked slightly interesting,but far too confusing - deleted

3. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Only one download from the list this week - Cataclysm. I forsee many Dark Days Ahead trying to figure this one out, though I've already solved the first puzzle; namely changing the language from default Chinese into English. That only took me 15 minutes and it's looking easier already. I like the idea that there are no goals except survival, and it remains to be seen if the gameplay will match the challenge of learning the interface.

4. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Catalysm does look quite impressive for free. But not a big fan of the less accessible rogue-likes. Will try it though

5. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #5 thumbs07, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Jump Warrior- its basically a press the right time to jump game. Its ok, bit too simple.

Kristie- game whose target audience are girls/women, (but anyone can play it) and it's a decent one! I could see my niece playing it. Basically a platformer where you collect notes, and the number of notes you collect affects the standard of the small guitar solo she does at the end. Good art style on this, and good variety of platform implements. Could do well on the App Store.

Battle Bros- its a bit cumbersome, its tower defence not at it's best, but maybe a bit different defending the routeways of the house. Has an annoying feature whereby the icon's to build towers default design makes it look like the button is still recharging. Deleted for me, find a better TD.

Mr Right- if you can forgive the theme, okish puzzle game guiding the guy around some roads(he can only go right), so press at the right time to orient him. Lively theme. Nice blocky graphics style.

Midnight terrors- it's a slightly lesser quality game graphics wise,(you can just distinct what the icons are) but it's a great concept and I'm finding it enjoyable to play. Essentially a tower defence game. Nightmares come to scare this kid- each time taking a different path to the bed. Too many get to the bed and the kid's anxiety goes up.

Strachey Brothers- really entertaining introduction and theme to the game, with a slight contrast with the actual game. But it's a ok puzzler.

Sheèp dreams- it's a good concept, you, or the narrator is stuck in a nightmare (game) with unending doors. Controls you have to adjust to, they're not great. But the narrative is quite entertaining.

Song of Pan- quality game. Right graphics style,right entertaining way to the game(collect music notes scattered around to 'peter piper' sheep to the exit). One of the best games this week.

Pooties - derivative of old school gaming appeal, could be something found on the snes. Follow a sort of racing ice track, collecting all sorts of unidentified power-ups, and food to keep you going on the track longer. I like this one, but I think it could have had a few more ideas also.

Catalysm- this seems like a PC port, very confusing. Liked the textual descriptions as an attempt of immersiveness, but then the game got to a black rat, please turn safe mode off with a !, or a ' to ignore. Quite where those buttons were I don't know. Deleted.

Of what I tried my favourites:
    Song of Pan
    Midnight terrors
    Spunge invaders
    Pooties
    (Kristie)

To do well on App Store:
    1) Kristie
    2) creature Racers
    3) Mr Right(possibly)

6. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I like what u did in this thread with showing all downloaded and which deleted and kept. Good deal . I'll add my selections as well

7. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Thank you, it'll be great to see others impressions too.

8. laranoujaim

laranoujaim Well-Known Member

Glad I found this thread - too many things happening on the app store - downloading Mr Right as we speak.
    I've just played a few rounds of Spunge Invader - so far I like it! The controls are what make the game - they are smooth. Will keep playing it for the time being.
    One suggestion to add to the list is Polyblast (Disclaimer: I work on the team that created the game) - its really cool and worth checking out and the christmas update was released less than a week ago :)

9. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #9 thumbs07, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Ah I tried polyblast before as some people were saying it's the game they've most playing. But couldn't get into it. Wilł try again.

10. tavi

tavi Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Christmas Biscuits - is a decent kids game released this week. Took my kid engaged for some time.

11. Glad to hear you guys like Spunge Invaders! We've taken the feedback about upgrades on board. Please let us know if you had any other feedback or suggestions :)

12. laranoujaim

laranoujaim Well-Known Member

Let me know when you do - we're currently working on an update, doing an overhaul of the graphics, adding more power-ups etc... This new update will be a game changer! (pun intended). Any chance you would be interested in testing it before we release it :) ?

13. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    You all should check out Crossy Maze, by the Dictator devs. It's really good.

14. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    @Rexxie- i maybe only have one which is scaling the difficulty a bit so as to allow the player to get into the game. As it begins quite a chaotic experience!

As it happens I tried it again and it's quite nice original. I'd try an update.

15. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #15 thumbs07, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Some tried this week:
    Breakout Arkanu- it's not a high quality release, and it's a breakout made to be 'cutesy'. Breakout itself is quite a boring game, and while this has tried new ideas, they are mostly quite random and baffling. Deleted

Clocks- basically a rehash of the games going round where you are spinning around, timing when you let go, only in this- the format is clocks and releasing as a shot to remove other clocks. It's not a fantastic game. The minimalistic design is nice, but the gameplay is dull. Deleted

Croc's world 3- I'm certain this is playing of a ip that was on the original play station, that was actually very good. This, on the other hand is something else. Not the same ip? So I was excited to play before finding quite a basic platformer, maybe suited to kids. Deleted

Dashy-crashy- like its name it has a problem with crashes. (Eg wait for update on this) But what I played of game.. I am very keen for this update. It's got an X factor. While it's nothing alike it reminded me a bit of crazy taxi, the instant accessibility,and enjoyable graphics. Only drawback is it's gameplay might be simple - dodge the vehicles.. But very keen to play again. Allowed me 2 plays and now just crashes. Pending Update

Drift zen racer- this has nailed on controls, and nice speed to this vehicle you control. But, it's quite random. (Eg it's game design seems a bit screwy). You control the device and if it goes on the edge of the screen wherever the camera has panned to, you get a little red flash and lose a life. Then you'll get a police car randomly spawn and come along, and then that will bump into an object and then die. You collect little dots, which is a good challenge. It's just the whole game is a bit random, more like a sort of sandbox. It's worth a look.

Penguins- you control some penguins on a very wobbly iceberg. And all sort of random events happen testing your ability to hold onto these penguins for as long as you can( for a high score). This is a good release by bulkypix, that I think is enjoyed at its best on the newer idevices. My iPad mini ran it, but a tiny bit of slowdown for it being an older device. Likeable original game though.

Hammer-time- nice original. Swing a hammer to fend away balls. Decent, like something you'd find in an arcade. Disappointed that so far does not provide a variation of balls coming towards you, other than size. Should have gameplay variation there.

Swing-copters 2 - it's no flappy birds, but it's managed to replicate the frustration value. Reserved for the hardcore. Deleted

Heist- old school gaming! Very simple gameplay of getting across without being hit by objects above but did give me a nostalgia kick playing on this game+ watch things.

Massive- originality, you're a shape and can shoot in multiple directions, and you shoot other shapes coming towards you. And you got upgrades too. It's ok, but not great. Deleted

Star sk8er- multiple crashes- this could be not being suited to iPad mini, or still issues being resolved.

Pixel-paddle- hit ping like objects, dodge rocks, shoot rocks. Original combination, but for its very simple graphics has some quite big slowdown in places. Deleted

Rust-Bucket- competent roguelike

Warpers- text out of focus which gives bad impression. But the game is original, uses how you press on the screen as a sort of portal for a puzzle. If you can accept its orrible graphics, it's quite a nice original puzzler.

Crossy maze- @vektorarchitect. Yeah definitely decent. Good minimalist, clean style to it. Maybe disappointed it didn't opt for going on each square only once, but still provides a decent challenge with the enemies. Pretty decent one.

Agent Elf- good festive one, bounce on the elves heads. Bit like spike dislike in that you got to finely time when you bounce. Not as bad a game as I initially thought it might be. Only criticism 312 mb file! Quite bloated for what it is.

Spooky Traps - this is the cutesy quality release of the week that might do well on the App Store. Reminds me of another game, it switches and alternates platform rules each level you start, so one level simply jumping over an enemy, another doing a sort of grav switch. I'm surprised it's gone like that. I'd have thought a cutesy kids/universally accessible game would have opted a purely straight-forward approach. But will be interested see how it does.

Wurd-torn- good original word one. Switch letters on varying rows to try and form a word on both/all the rows. I like this. Only thing is you can fluke your way there by simply continually pressing. Maybe different later levels.

Sky hoppers- in a crossy sort of style, follow a path in the heavens. Take a wrong step you fall. It's original, but it's quite unexciting. Deleted

Nori's journey- handmade kind of game, so different sorts of graphics. You play as some weird spirit, as a sort of a minion in a tower defence to start with- dodging turrets, and obstacles. Then with some monster throwing rocks at you. This is far as I am. It's ok.

Pizza brave- it's just a simple platform game where guy traverses level to deliver pizza, with nice idea on way of a phonecall between the two to get a bonus tip if answer question correct. Has a bit of annoying model though, one life to complete level- if want bonus pay for it, and advert when you die. Usually the continue is watch an advert gesture, so if you mistime a jump you usually have to restart. Deleted

Into-the-dim- with a sort of monochrome game style it is reminiscent of a game boy. A cross between an action rpg like Zelda and a rogue like. Decent one, but the arrows movement is slightly flawed, and I ran into one bug. Worth a look.

Fishing Diary- there's little to the gameplay of this, spam gun hits at fish. Deleted

Carrage- this is very generous for what you get for free. It's race tracks are pretty nice. The drawback it's controls. You find yourself wobbling from side to side with a struggle to gain control. You finally find a level of control then get blown up by a rocket behind you.

Fizzbuzz- good if testing concentration skills.

Impossible journey(ketch app)- I was wrong, this wasn't festive. Basic platformer, sort of mix of the impossible game and a very basic Mario to start with. It is made a bit different in that it mixes things up a bit with varying stages. Eg after platforming, you maybe dodging rocks, then after that another stage in an 'impossible journey'. Good if you like repeating game over and over to attain perfection.

Plant Wars 2- I'm not comfortable with it that it puts premium packs that you have to pay 29.99 U.S. Dollars -99 dollars. It's preying on kids to make their parents skint. It's a quality release though. Was a fan of plants war 1 but I got so far and I needed to pay to progress despite all the rewards, and daily bonuses.
    Basically a dota-like game.

16. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Thanks for your quick impressions thumbs07. These mini reviews are really helpful. This week I've only downloaded Holiday Dash! Trying to get into the spirit of things. Nice seasonal graphics, simple platforming, and considerably easier than last week's Cataclysm.

17. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    10 solo
    It's a nice swinging game with simplistic art
    Not bad but it can get difficult at times.

18. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    It's good if it's providing use to any one. I'm only doing it as I want to find a good underdog game as well.
    That holiday dash, appsolute games, like the snowball ability on it. But yeah simple platforming. I see them as ketchapp type games, and notice ketchapp have done a festive one too which might check out.

19. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Will try that

20. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Ah yeah bit like Tower Dash by boombit if you like that.