★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description:

STG

https://entry.cave.co.jp/cave-support/index.php

iPhone 5
iPod Touch
iPad 3iPad 4
iPad AiriPad Air 2
iPad mini 2iPad mini 3

asaw2's comments:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nu-shou-ling-feng-yi-mian/id1057408697?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4#
12-14-2015, 03:35 AM
Wish it was in English. I got these C power ups and dunno what they are for. Also the customizations

12-14-2015, 06:33 AM
I love this series! Hoping soon it gets an English translation but at the same time i didn't expect it to be in the us store anyways so at least I can play it even if I can't read a word on the screen
12-14-2015, 08:09 AM
I thought I wouldn't be seeing this for another 14 hours, so it appears to be a simultaneous worldwide release as of five hours ago.

So far the monetization seems fairly innocuous, with a permanent banner at the bottom, making the game roughly iPhone-4s-and-before shaped. Then the option to watch a video to multiply coins.

It also seems to be squarely targeted at more than the core STG crowd, with plentiful help menus and a pretty low difficulty level - so far at least ... I hope it's not a pure score chaser.
12-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x16 View Post
I thought I wouldn't be seeing this for another 14 hours, so it appears to be a simultaneous worldwide release as of five hours ago.

So far the monetization seems fairly innocuous, with a permanent banner at the bottom, making the game roughly iPhone-4s-and-before shaped. Then the option to watch a video to multiply coins.

It also seems to be squarely targeted at more than the core STG crowd, with plentiful help menus and a pretty low difficulty level - so far at least ... I hope it's not a pure score chaser.
It's not what I had hoped for and then not knowing Japanese makes it worse for me. I will stick to the paid versions of this game!
12-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Earlier my post was only after playing one time but the more I've played the more I like it and the less the language barrier at least some of the important things are in English. Better than I thought initially. Worth a free download for sure if you're a fan of the series
12-14-2015, 09:49 AM
So I think my expectations were pretty high, given that the director is Shinobu Yagawa (YGW). Also, this game is arguably the first new CAVE property since 2012, and being F2P, a likely model for their future.

But I have to admit to being disappointed with the polygon-based graphics, which while nice and sharp, are kind of lifeless compared to previous Dodonpachis. And I'm not a fan of buying powerups - more so in this case where it doesn't make sense given how straightforward the stage is.

On the other hand, although "Ichimen Bancho" translates to "1st-Stage Badass", I'm seeing an indication of more than the initially available stage. I can imagine/hope for the game opening up with time invested, helping to create an integrated Twitter-based buzz.

[EDIT: Okay, I've unlocked the second stage, which is much more interesting. Not sure how I did it. Maybe it was 10 playthroughs of the first stage? Clearly, the translated name should be "One-Stage Badass", since it appears each stage is played separately.

Also, the game starts in easy mode. Normal, and presumable above need to be unlocked. But again, I have no idea how.

And in case you can't get bombs to activate, you need to lift your finger and press on your ship - pressing it without lifting won't have any effect.]

[EDIT2: Now I'm not sure what the translation should be, since I've unlocked Stage 1-2 with 10 playthroughs of Stage 2. Since it filled two of the three slots below the stage name, I assume there's a three-stage mode. As to unlocking the normal difficulty, I completed a stage with no loss of ships and without using bombs, but no joy yet. Maybe more playthroughs are required.]

Last edited by 9x16; 12-14-2015 at 12:20 PM.
12-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Tip

Still trying to figure things out, but I know this much: watch the video ad all the way through so you collect the card bonus. If you cut the ad short, no bonus.
12-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x16 View Post
So I think my expectations were pretty high, given that the director is Shinobu Yagawa (YGW). Also, this game is arguably the first new CAVE property since 2012, and being F2P, a likely model for their future.

But I have to admit to being disappointed with the polygon-based graphics, which while nice and sharp, are kind of lifeless compared to previous Dodonpachis. And I'm not a fan of buying powerups - more so in this case where it doesn't make sense given how straightforward the stage is.

On the other hand, although "Ichimen Bancho" translates to "1st-Stage Badass", I'm seeing an indication of more than the initially available stage. I can imagine/hope for the game opening up with time invested, helping to create an integrated Twitter-based buzz.

[EDIT: Okay, I've unlocked the second stage, which is much more interesting. Not sure how I did it. Maybe it was 10 playthroughs of the first stage? Clearly, the translated name should be "One-Stage Badass", since it appears each stage is played separately.

Also, the game starts in easy mode. Normal, and presumable above need to be unlocked. But again, I have no idea how.

And in case you can't get bombs to activate, you need to lift your finger and press on your ship - pressing it without lifting won't have any effect.]

[EDIT2: Now I'm not sure what the translation should be, since I've unlocked Stage 1-2 with 10 playthroughs of Stage 2. Since it filled two of the three slots below the stage name, I assume there's a three-stage mode. As to unlocking the normal difficulty, I completed a stage with no loss of ships and without using bombs, but no joy yet. Maybe more playthroughs are required.]
Thanks for your write up. I was wondering about the bombs
I wish it had been a premium but i am finding this one to actually better than I expected because I knew going in it was a FTP and those can be even worse for sure! If I had gone in thinking it would be a premium and turns out it's FTP I would've been super dissapointed. Agree with you on graphics too.
12-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Do u have to unlock type b and c cuz I'm not seeing those in options?
I'm finding it to be not so easy first few tries but I'm also sick so that's prolly more to do with it.