★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Detective Saburo

12-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Detective Saburo

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300551738&mt=8
I almost purchased it because although the preview showed only japanese screenshots, the languages on the side said english and japanese so I assumed that they had only placed the japanese screenshots for some reason. Before my mouse hit the button, I noticed something odd.

"Notice: only Japanese version available!"

So why does it say it's in both English and Japanese? I'm so glad I read and was paying more attention. Anyone else find this annoying?

Just a gal who likes to write and has an unhealthy(probably) attachment to her iPod.

Top 6 favorite games right now: {Rogue Touch, Sway, Pocket God, Archibald's Adventure, Wolfenstein 3D, Platypus}
12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
It most likely has a switch inside the settings that lets you change languages seeing as how many japanese gamers can read english.

It wouldn't be hard since the english version is already out
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=299036652&mt=8

12-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I think they're the same people but it's a different game. The art's completely different. maybe it is the same game, but I don't think so. Do you know for sure?
Edit: I checked on their website. It's definitely not the same game.

Just a gal who likes to write and has an unhealthy(probably) attachment to her iPod.

Top 6 favorite games right now: {Rogue Touch, Sway, Pocket God, Archibald's Adventure, Wolfenstein 3D, Platypus}
12-23-2008, 12:32 AM
It is probably the sequel to the English version that may get ported over some time in the future. The series was on the Gameboy/DS so I assume they have a few versions that never made it stateside.
12-23-2008, 12:55 AM
serously, another game that uses 30% of the iphone screen? Directional buttons ?....

This sure looks familiar to the recent Square Enix game...

This is not looking good for the iPhone for Japanese games.
12-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospel9 View Post
serously, another game that uses 30% of the iphone screen? Directional buttons ?....

This sure looks familiar to the recent Square Enix game...

This is not looking good for the iPhone for Japanese games.
I think the problem is that Jake Hunter was ported from the DS.

Crystal Defenders was made for Iphone, Itouch, AND Ipod. So they cheated and made one build and forced those without a scrollwheel to use that cheap virtual dpad
12-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
I think the problem is that Jake Hunter was ported from the DS.

Crystal Defenders was made for Iphone, Itouch, AND Ipod. So they cheated and made one build and forced those without a scrollwheel to use that cheap virtual dpad

Ahh I see.
That made a lot of sense now.
I just watched the video for the clickwheel version. It's exactly the same. In fact, it looks better.
12-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospel9 View Post
Ahh I see.
That made a lot of sense now.
I just watched the video for the clickwheel version. It's exactly the same. In fact, it looks better.
Yeah, I wish I had picked up the lite version =/ Then I would have got the game for my video ipod