★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Phantom FreeCell – 21 Halloween Themes Included - Now Available!

10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Phantom FreeCell – 21 Halloween Themes Included - Now Available!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331151068&mt=8

DESCRIPTION:
A challenging solitaire game where the full deck of cards is dealt into eight columns out of which four suit stacks are built. Cards can be moved within the columns, to the four “free cells”, and to the suit stacks. This version includes 21 spooky Halloween themes, 6 color themes, and optional background music.

Every FreeCell game can be won!

FEATURES:
- Drag and drop cards
- Choice of 21 Halloween themes and 7 color themes
- Spooky background music (optional)
- Sound effects (optional)
- Unlimited undo
- Game save on exit or interruption
- Does not interfere with iPod audio

BACKGROUND THEMES:
- Halloween Night 1
- Scarecrow
- Black Cat Night
- Green Evening
- Scary Pumpkin
- Spider Web
- Mini Pumpkins
- Devil Cat
- Alien Zombie
- Little Mummy
- Little Dracula
- Little Witch
- Little Devil
- Little Gargoyle
- Little Ghosts
- Pumpkin Row
- Halloween Night 2
- Bats
- Howling Skulls
- Halloween Design 1
- Halloween Design 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhantomFreeCell_splash_320x480.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	8605   Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	8606   Click image for larger version

Name:	s12.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	8607  

Click image for larger version

Name:	s32.jpg
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	8608   Click image for larger version

Name:	s42.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	8609  

Last edited by jeanmm; 10-01-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Screenshots do not seem to have been posted.
10-01-2009, 12:49 PM
My understanding is that some freecell games can't be won. At least one can't.

10-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I got one of the promo codes and I have to say this is very nicely done.

Most important, it is effortless to move the cards around. Choose and column and the cards stick, and dropping is also effortless. I have several card solitaire games that it takes multiple taps before the game finally registers what you want to do - this one - first time - every time. Kudos on that.

There are tons of themes - all Halloween based except for a few basic color backgrounds that are supported - I would guess around 20 or so?

Interface is very clean - options for sound off and on, efx off and on - only one sound track - might be a bit much but it would be great to have a few sound tracks to choose from.

Card play is typical freecell - my only issue - that maybe some can answer is - I did not think that your columns had to be less then a certain number? What is the max length colums can be? Because when trying to make longer columns - you get the error shown on the screen shot that there are not enough free cells for the move - and I don't understand that?

So - what could be changed for better? Sliders on both music and effects volume - for me not a big deal - but some will care. Increased number of background music tracks.

Statistics - I love statistics associated with card games - number won, number lost , longest winning streak, longest losing streak, current winning and losing streaks, total number of games played. % of overall games won.

But overall - very polished interface - cards that move when you want them to (yay!!). I did not try phone interruptions, but changing apps back and forth has you starting at the same place - so it would seem that resume is OK. Themes are also changeable on the fly via the nice wheel as noted in the screen shots.

Very nice freecell implementation - barring that one point about the length of the columns? BUT - that could be totally my misunderstanding.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
10-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I guess I will have to change the description to say that "Almost all FreeCell games can be won." I had thought that while they couldn't prove that they could all be won, they had never found one that wasn't solveable. I will do some more research.

Regarding pluto6's question about how long a stack can be moved:

In FreeCell you have four Free Cells to fill with a single card. If all of the Free Cells are full, you can only move one card at a time. You can move a stack of cards if there are Free Cells empty, one extra card in the stack for each empty Free Cell. So if there are 4 empty cells, then you can move a stack of 5.

I hope that makes sense. I will also add it to the rules section of the game. Thanks for the valuable feedback. I will definitely be adding Statistics.
10-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Not really important about whether they can all be solved or not.

Biggest thing for me is statistics. I'm in the market for a freecell game, and it will have to have statistics, like the Windows version. Overall W/L record and winning %, current winning streak, longest ever winning streak, and longest ever losing streak. This is a must.
10-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks, I will try to get a version out before Halloween with Stats. There are still a few promo codes for version 1.0 available, send me a message if you would like one.

Last edited by jeanmm; 10-04-2009 at 06:53 AM.
10-30-2009, 04:03 PM
New version with Statistics, Scoring, and improved animation.

Phantom FreeCell 1.0.2 has been released. It includes Statistics, Scoring, and improved Animation!