★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: SDK and Dr. Awesome

12-22-2008, 11:15 PM
SDK and Dr. Awesome

If each app is sandboxes, how does dropship and dr. Awesome get contacts from the contacts app?
12-22-2008, 11:22 PM
idk.

dirty deeds and their dunderchee
12-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
If each app is sandboxes, how does dropship and dr. Awesome get contacts from the contacts app?
The SDK allows mild integration with the native apps, such as contacts, safari, and Youtube. It doesn't allow the app to modify the contents of any but Contacts.
12-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
idk.
[Content deleted]

On topic:

The SDK allows apps to get information from the contacts book with a popup warning. I don't know what being a sandbox game has anything to do with it.

Last edited by salsamd; 12-22-2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: off topic
12-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armbruster View Post
[Content deleted]

On topic:

The SDK allows apps to get information from the contacts book with a popup warning. I don't know what being a sandbox game has anything to do with it.
They are saying that the game is independent of the rest of the system, so they didn't know how it retrieved contact info., works basically the same way that the fast add contact apps work.

Last edited by salsamd; 12-22-2008 at 11:44 PM.
12-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Quick google search to answer your question...

BTW,

If you're a developer and want to learn more about how to do this in your application(s) here's the link to Apple's documentation on the AddressBook UI Framework.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/li...ork/index.html

This is how they do this. Another thing of note, I helped a developer with something related to this and it seems Apple is VERY paranoid and anal about usage of the AddressBook UI Framework and sending/uploading data to a website. If there is usage of this framework and uploading/posting/requesting of any data in any encrypted-ish format, they will request more information from the developer about what is being transmitted and/or just may deny the app for fear of the application uploading your contact information. I believe that just including the AddressBook UI Framework in your application causes a whole security and privacy team to intricately look at your application and make sure it's not doing this. Just a good heads up for any developers or anyone interested in, well, information.

To summarize what it does... here's a excerpt from Apple...

"Address Book UI
Use the Address Book UI framework to display the contact data contained in the Address Book database. This C-based framework provides a graphical interface to gain access to users' contacts."

Cheers