Old 10-01-2009, 04:53 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Galcon Labs

Youtube link | Pop Up

Impressions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Traveler View Post
Hello,

Ok, I've had a chance to sit down with GalCon Labs. I really enjoyed GalCon, and its one of the four games on my iPod Touch that will never be uninstalled (the others being LuxDlx, RogueTouch, and Space Invaders: Infinity Gene). To say I was excited about a GalCon sequel is an understatement, and at $0.99 the game is worthwhile.

There are a few dissapointments to be had. GalCon Labs does not feel like a sequel so much as an expansion of the original. The graphics are at the same level as the original and game play is unchanged and unexpanded. There's no new "layers" to the game. This is GalCon with a few new game modes swapped out for a few of the game modes of the original.

This is where GalCon Labs unfortunately fails as a sequel, or even an expansion. While the new game modes are fun, they do not feel like new game modes, but rather options that should have been available to the existing game modes in GalCon. Crash and Billards are fun, but could you imagine "turning on" Crash or Billards mode in the GalCon scenarios Classic, Stealth, Vacuum, Beast, and 3-Way? Vacuum with Billards would add a whole new level of skill, Beast and 3-Way with Crash would be just awesome and bring a new level of strategy to both modes.

GalCon Labs will stick around on my iPod, but it unfortunately doesn't rise to the same level as GalCon. At $0.99 it is a steal, but do not expect major innovations over the original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Lowe View Post
Trying to not stoop to your level of immaturity - yes, I have most certainly played Labs. It is, in fact, basically Galcon with some minor tweaks. Stealth was in the first game, Crash just changes how your ships react to one another, I haven't yet touched Billiards but I'm not giving it much hope, and Classic is the exact same thing I've been playing for months on Galcon. The biggest addition would be Assassin, since that gives you an actual objective that goes beyond "capture your enemy's planet", but certainly doesn't get any points for originality.

This isn't a sequel, or even an expansion. It doesn't offer enough new content, and no matter how pissy you or anyone else gets with their blatant man-crush on Galcon, it won't change the fact that only a few small additions were made.

I like how we are labeled as "bozos" for not agreeing with the fanboys. Please get over yourself - such rude behavior is entirely unwarranted, undesired and unbecoming of a community that prides itself in being mature.

I have yet to see either of you give me any reason to think that Labs is little more than what should have been DLC for the original game, but I am at least convinced that some of you let their emotions get the better of you over an 0.99 game. Where you drag ships from planet to planet. Tirelessly.

I'm happy with my purchase, it's a good game for 0.99, but it certainly doesn't warrant the type of rude, inconsiderate, blind fanboyism you two have shown here.

Last edited by vicente.ramirezch; 10-02-2009 at 01:27 PM..
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Holy SHIT.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:57 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bat Outta Hell View Post
Holy SHIT.
Yeah right?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Never bought Galcon cause I thought the color scheme looked too garish... am I a fool?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

lol just read this was the sequel
Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Never bought Galcon cause I thought the color scheme looked too garish... am I a fool?
maybe
this'll be the first game 've gotten in a while
Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Bought. Great price!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:06 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I'v had a preview copy and can say it is basically a major upgrade from the original Galcon. This has a classic mode, plus four new ones that feel fresh. For those who enjoyed or have never played the original, this is everything you need.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Wait...so if this sequel is 99c, then why is galcon still 2.99? Is the original better or does the sequel pretty much cover everything that was in the original galcon?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:09 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf49lu View Post
Wait...so if this sequel is 99c, then why is galcon still 2.99? Is the original better or does the sequel pretty much cover everything that was in the original galcon?
this one is probably on sale...or not